How About Some Stories?

BritChaser

We have many relative newcomers on here that have not heard some of the great stories that the long-time members have posted here over the years. The stories are buried in archives. Come on, don't be shy - tell some of your old stories and newer members share yours too.

Auto Dilema

Last year in Mt my buddy finally bested me and shot most of the birds for the day, it was with a Franchi that I sold to him no less. So the next weekend I planned my revenge with a plug less auto of my own, three o'clock rules were in effect. Being older my buddy was relieving himself when my little pup Molly put a couple roosters up in an area he had just walked. I yelled rooster and my buddy reached for his gun with his do dad hanging out when it suddenly went off. It surprised him and he froze up, one of the birds flew at me and I dropped it. Now usually a accidental discharge would bother me but I thought this was some good karma for his game hog antics, if I remember right I got all of the birds that day.😃

Last year in Mt my buddy finally bested me and shot most of the birds for the day, it was with a Franchi that I sold to him no less. So the next weekend I planned my revenge with a plug less auto of my own, three o'clock rules were in effect. Being older my buddy was relieving himself when my little pup Molly put a couple roosters up in an area he had just walked. I yelled rooster and my buddy reached for his gun with his do dad hanging out when it suddenly went off. It surprised him and he froze up, one of the birds flew at me and I dropped it. Now usually a accidental discharge would bother me but I thought this was some good karma for his game hog antics, if I remember right I got all of the birds that day.😃

What are "three o'clock" rules...help us out with the MT/ND lingo. Good story!

Good story, Pat. ;)

One of my fun memories from this year is with an older gentleman I took hunting from my church. He is in his seventies but runs marathons so he is in great shape. I watched him miss many birds that week. I always tried to get him in a great position for him to succeed. After numerous misses at roosters getting up right in front of him I told him, "Larry, you go post this field if you miss, I am going to ride you like a cheap dirt bike the rest of the week!" He never fired a shot on that push and I asked him why not? He said they were to far out and he was afraid of the tongue lashing he might get from me if he missed! Then he said I don't think pastors are supposed to talk to people like that! We still laugh about that one today. I love getting people out who don't have the opportunity to usually hunt. They see the real me and I develop deep connections with new friends. Pheasant hunting is a great way to do that!

One time, while hunting near Roy Montana, I hunted with a guy who was a writer for field and stream.We had an awesome hunt, and he wrote about it in an article that was published in field and stream.There were a few inaccuracies in his article however.He claimed to have limited out 3 days in a row.In reality, that was me who did that, not him.lol

Old stories?

There's five or six "Young Bert, the not-right dog" stories from years ago. Search function should bring them up, or worst case, search for my early posts. Young Bert was one of those dogs. :)

Old stories?

There's five or six "Young Bert, the not-right dog" stories from years ago. Search function should bring them up, or worst case, search for my early posts. Young Bert was one of those dogs. :)

I highly recommend that new members search for the Young Bert stories. They are a :10sign:

Old stories?

I found them and put them in chronological order. The search functions lists by most recent reply postings, I think.

Here are the titles as they come up on "search."

(Thank you Quailhound.)

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, the not-right dog. :)
Started by Kismet, 06-06-2011 02:20 PM
1 2
Views: 1,762

Last Post: 06-20-2011 05:34 AM
by Kismet Go to last post

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, part 2 the early years
Started by Kismet, 06-20-2011 05:02 PM

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, the not-right dog, story 3 :)
Started by Kismet, 07-06-2011 05:23 PM
Views: 1,255

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, #4
Started by Kismet, 07-13-2011 11:30 AM
Views: 881

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, #5
Started by Kismet, 07-25-2011 07:13 AM
Views: 801

Young Bert, #6
Started by Kismet, 08-01-2011 10:21 PM
Views: 514

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert # 7
Started by Kismet, 08-08-2011 08:34 AM
Views: 595

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, the not-right dog #8 CHAOS !
Started by Kismet, 08-15-2011 12:21 PM
Views: 1,876

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert, #9
Started by Kismet, 08-22-2011 12:22 PM
Views: 633

Forum:
Pheasant Hunting Forum
Young Bert #10 The Passing of the bell...
Started by Kismet, 08-29-2011 11:26 AM
Views: 810

I found them and put them in chronological order. The search functions lists by most recent reply postings, I think.

Oh my. These are great! Thanks so much for sharing. For me, kind of reminiscent of old Gene Hill stuff.

My mother-in-law gave me a nice, leather-bound journal years ago for Christmas, with the explanation that I could write about hunting in it. I never did. After my first springer Walt died just before the 2013 season, I thought maybe I'd record some of my favorite memories of our days together. I tried but couldn't do it. Heck, it took a solid 9 months just to be able to talk about him, or even look at a picture, without getting choked up. And by that time, my current dog Buzz (then about 2 yrs old) had begun to win my heart. He'd kind of played 2nd fiddle while Walt was still around, but he's almost 6 now, & I'm thoroughly smitten by him.

But YB the NRD has inspired me. I still save tail feathers from each rooster we shoot together (only the 2 long ones, of course). But if I ever want to have a written record of my time with Buzz, I better start now. Maybe I'll eventually try again to do Walt stories too, but it's hard to be optimistic.

Back