House Bill 2089- Retrieval of Hunting Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peterson, sorry if you misunderstand my last comment. Yes it was directed right at you. Your writing gave me (a landowner and hunter) the impression you dont really care that you would screw up my hunt because you lost your dog and just proceeded to come on over even if you arent carrying you gun to find your dog rather than look to see if someone is hunting on the ground. No I am not trying to attack you but your dog will show up. You do not have to jump the fence 1 step behind it. I have had several dogs that were special to me. You say like family, well my kids arent perfect and sometimes I have to go find them but I let people know before I go traipsing acrossed their fields, yards or in their properties, dogs or daughters. Maybe one day you can be working your 9 year old sons calves, with him trying to do most the work when some "gentlemens" bird dog happens to cross the fence,(which happened to be half mile from working chute) spook the calves and damn near gets the boy hurt. Dogs by the way were wearing beepers. Not highscool bullshit as you accuse, just tired of people "following their beloved dog to recover it". Sorry if you got the full blunt of my rant.

T,
doesn't appear from that last post that I misunderstood but...it can happen to all of us.
However, believing a dog will "show up" at some point is a bit too vague for me...if a pup is on point, or is hung up in some damn coyote snare someone set to save a deer or three or, 100 other possibilities then I expect it would be prudent to recover the dog as quickly as possible...with as little disruption to anyone as possible.
I never had to enter a yard to get a dog...but common sense and courtesy would find me knocking on a house door were that to happen.

I suppose it is not unexpected that a landowner will take any chance to rant on a forum when given the opportunity...often with anecdotal evidence of the worst kind or damage to the greatest degree. Common sense tho, and a little honesty and knowledge about birddogs, will show that a birddog straying across a line is for but a short distance and for bird retrieval, even shorter.
Again, the land on the other side of a fence is not always greener for a bird hunter...despite the taxes paid upon it.
Not a very glamourous point of view for the landowner tho.
Better to think that 1 foot = 1 mile and everyone wants on "my" place and use that as an excuse to vent some built-up frustration at trespass issues that likely seldom even involve a dog but may involve deer, down fences or frustrations based well past a dog's collar.
Granted some scofflaws take 1 mile = 1 foot but those are unlikely to hit many forums....not their thing, I would reckon.
I'll leave this...discussion...to the last worders as it is apparent that issues far beyond a dog's foot are at play here...possibly even with the thread's origin.
Here's to hope for common sense...on both sides.

The kitchen table shit comment was high school...sorry, it was.
And you'll have to explain the beeper comment to someone who runs beepers around pheasants...that ain't me.

Now, about your..."Gentleman" comment.
That may say more unsaid than the rest of your comments combined re attitude.

Sorry 'bout your boy...don't reckon too many folks want to see a child injured.:rolleyes:

Finally, directed right at you, T...I will retrieve my beloved birddogs, sans gun, from whatever property they may rarely stray upon...any time. I will try to do the recovery with as little disruption to anyone on the other property as possible and, as necessary, I will gladly suffer any consequences that accident, nature or, a landowner squawking decrees because my birddogs are indeed beloved and my responsibility to them demands it.
Bank it.
Have a good year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back