Hotels in Huron

Brimar1991

What hotels do you recommend in Huron, SD? I have been traveling to Huron for 20 years and stayed at Dakota Inn for the first 10 years and stayed at the Best Western for the past 10 years. After the Best Western changed ownership a few years ago, the management has been less responsive in confirming my reservation and nightly rate. I am looking at options for 2024. Typically, I head to Huron in mid to late November.

What are your thoughts on the other hotels in Huron? Quality Inn, Crossroads Hotel, Super 8, and Dakota Inn

Or, if you had good experiences at hotels/motels in De Smet, Redfield, or Miller, please share.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Dakota Inn…Tiffany bought it, she’s the best. Tell her Mike from Duluth says hello! Seriously, that’s the spot. I bring her smoked salmon from Duluth, she’s TOP NOTCH!

I've never had an issue at the Dakota Inn.. They seem to be the most reasonable price-wise (though their prices seems to go up each year) and it isn't so nice that I feel bad about having my dogs in the room with me. I wish the Wi-Fi was a little better.. They used to have a flat rate for having dogs with you ($30 per stay) but I think it's now $15 per night, per dog...

I found the Super 8 to be comfortable. They have a decent breakfast and an indoor pool with hot tub.
Did they have a bird cleaning area or a freezer to place your birds in? Also, it shows online that they're dog policy is $10 per night, is that still accurate? LASTLY.. do any rooms have direct access outside or did you need to take your dogs through the hallway to get outside? Sorry for all the questions, but the super 8 is much cheaper than the Dakota Inn and I might make the switch.

Did they have a bird cleaning area or a freezer to place your birds in? Also, it shows online that they're dog policy is $10 per night, is that still accurate? LASTLY.. do any rooms have direct access outside or did you need to take your dogs through the hallway to get outside? Sorry for all the questions, but the super 8 is much cheaper than the Dakota Inn and I might make the switch.
I don't have all the answers because I didn't pay the bill, maybe I should say my son paid the bill and I'll ask him about the dog charge. 😊 Since we cleaned the birds in the field I never looked for a cleaning station, I can't say I saw one though. We did have to walk our dog into the room I didn't see any outside access doors.

They have an enclosed bird cleaning station / no outside access to rooms / I think the per dog charge is now $20/night - you can call & confirm the cost

They have an enclosed bird cleaning station / no outside access to rooms / I think the per dog charge is now $20/night - you can call & confirm the cost
I called yesterday, didn't ask about dog costs, but they did tell me they'd have to put my birds in the freezer for the breakfast area. So at least there's a spot for that.

Have stayed there for years - Never thought to ask about a freezer for birds - good to know - rarely use the cleaning station, unless it's extremely cold; station on NE corner and you can park right by it - so convenient - "air" the dogs on N side of building.
pretty sure the per dog fee is $20 per dog per night/ went up from $10 a few years ago - used to always keep our dogs in the back of the truck --
The Quality Inn just N of the Super 8 appears to have outside access to rooms, from what I see, when airing our dogs

A little late on seeing/adding to this thread. I just got back from Huron yesterday. We stayed at the Super 8. It was decent, about what I expected. The mattress was comfortable. No outside access to the rooms. Very old-school but functional HVAC systems: baseboard heat and window units. Bird cleaning shed is just ok. The capacity is really limited to about 2 bird cleaners and one rinser. Maybe 3 birds cleaners if you're all from the same group.

We stayed at the Quality Inn last year. It has only 1 room with outside access. I was lucky enough to get it last year. Bird cleaning area is a little bigger, but it's far more exposed. The room was bigger than my room at the Super 8. Breakfast was awful; we went to McDonald's every day. The dog fee last year was a flat $50, and the check-in guy almost insisted on collecting it in cash. I might have gone back there, but they raised their prices so much that I thought the Super 8 was worth a try.

If you're exploring new options, places like Aguila de Osa - www.aguiladeosa.cоm offer a different vibe. As for Huron, considering your past experiences, it might be worth checking recent reviews or giving Quality Inn or Crossroads Hotel a shot for a change. Sometimes a switch brings a fresh perspective! As for De Smet, Redfield, or Miller, I've heard positive tales about the motels in those areas, but it's always wise to verify recent reviews for the latest scoop.

Last edited:
In Huron now, at quality inn…$80/nite with flat dog fee of $25 total for trip. About 6+ rooms with outside access. Breakfast is fine, I like access to interior of motel from the room, Dakota inn doesn’t offer that. No complaints…not 5 star, but I’m not either.

It sounds like you've had quite the journey with hotels in Huron! Considering your past experiences, exploring other options for your 2024 trip seems wise. While I haven't stayed in Huron myself, I've heard positive things about Quality Inn and Crossroads Hotel. Super 8 and Dakota Inn are also popular choices.If you're open to exploring nearby areas, De Smet, Redfield, and Miller offer charming accommodations too. And if you're in the mood for some nightlife and entertainment during your stay, check out https://thaitriplover.com/nightlife-entertainment for some ideas.

Last edited:
Back