Hot Spots

Just wondering if anybody wants to tell where there hot spot for pheasants were this past season. Mine was Central kansas in any county around Rush county. I only got to go there once and had a great time with 3 days of limits for 4 guys. However I wasn't very successful in North Central Kansas around Jewell and Mitchell but my hot spot this year would have to be the exact Center of the State. Any county around Rush.

I saw more birds in the central part of the state than anywhere else this year also. Rush and Pawnee counties were good to me. Scott city had quite a few birds, but from what I understand, they usually have a lot more.

i have been able only to get out there maybe a dozen times. every time i went to the hill city and wakeeney area and it seems that the birds changed cover since last year. but there was still alot of birds

Just wondering if anybody wants to tell where there hot spot for pheasants were this past season. Mine was Central kansas in any county around Rush county. I only got to go there once and had a great time with 3 days of limits for 4 guys. However I wasn't very successful in North Central Kansas around Jewell and Mitchell but my hot spot this year would have to be the exact Center of the State. Any county around Rush.

KS Cowboy:
Are you hunting Wiha or private in Rush Co?. I hunted pawnee wiha this year and the last several. My reports would be cool to lukewarm. Lack of grain fields adjoining CRP is what stands out most from last year. I had some great spots get planted with winter wheat this past year. I hate that.. My problem is that I'm not good at searching out new locations. I need to do a better job of that next year. Rush is very close to my "home" base.

lefty

I would say 60 percent of what I hunt in is private and the other WIHA in RUSH county. Heres what I try to do, hit the quaility WIHA first to beat other hunters and then hunt the private in the afternoons. I like hunting grain fields like corn and milo early and then move to grass in the afternoons.
I didn't do that great this year either but thats just where i found the most birds but that might not be saying much.
I hunted a lot in North Central kansas all WIHA land and did very poorly but have heard reports that people were doing pretty good in NC which is a mistery to me. Its hit or miss for the most part but NC this year sucked for me and Rush was pretty good to me even though it wasn't great.

I failed to mentioned that I am a die hard hunter and will hunt all day. I had to put a full day walk into every limit and put a lot of miles in a day. Birds came but with a lot of space in between each group. You just have to work a little harder to find them. Its not like the good ol days.

I would say 60 percent of what I hunt in is private and the other WIHA in RUSH county. Heres what I try to do, hit the quaility WIHA first to beat other hunters and then hunt the private in the afternoons. I like hunting grain fields like corn and milo early and then move to grass in the afternoons.

Cowboy are you hunting WIHA next to your private land access? If not are you just trying to make sure that no one else gets a chance to kill birds in YOUR AREA? I would think that you have plenty of access to private ground and why hunt the public?

the private land we hunted in Rush county only gave us a half day of hunting at the most. I went with some of my buddies and they knew a farmer out there that they have been hunting on for years. But his ground was a lot of winter wheat so it wasn't good for hunting. I hunt the WIHA land in the mornings so that I know we are not wasting our time if another group just hunted it. some weekends in the early season you see big groups in almost every decent WIHA section. So by hitting it early we still had land to hunt in the afternoon. Thats the only county I hunted private land all season.

Thats good to hear. We do the same thing. Their is plenty of WIHA land to access in Kansas for everyone.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thats good to hear. We do the same thing. Their is plenty of WIHA land to access in Kansas for everyone.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Same thing goes for me. I always hunt the most promising wiha plot first thing in the morning thereby assuring I am first afield.

2 years ago I had a great hotspot on wiha. I was parked there before sunrise 3 consecutive days. Ended up taking something like 10 birds outta there.

lefty

The SW was poor for me this year compared to normal years. I had better luck in the SC part of the state but still had to walk my butt off all day to bag four birds. Sure enjoyed myself each and every time out there though. I wish I would have had some time to hit the NW part of the state.

The middle of the state seemed to be the hot spot for us this year. I've got a bunch of private ground West of Ulysses, but only made the trip 3 times this year due to bird numbers. Last year, Southwest Kansas was awesome, best I've seen it. There were still birds out there this year, but nothing like last year. We (3 buddies and I), had some real good hunts this year by Hutch, McPherson and Great Bend. We managed to get into quite a few coveys of quail the last month of the season while out pheasant hunting. I think things are looking good for next year.

kansas hotspots

I found gove county honestly to be a hot spot . on both private and public ground . this year was tough but if you are dedicated enough to go all day and if your dogs can handle it you will find the birds. I am new to this forum but am so patinate about the sport that i am always looking for new hunting buddies to join me on a hunt . children included becouse they are the futureof our sport.

I found gove county honestly to be a hot spot . on both private and public ground . this year was tough but if you are dedicated enough to go all day and if your dogs can handle it you will find the birds. I am new to this forum but am so patinate about the sport that i am always looking for new hunting buddies to join me on a hunt . children included becouse they are the futureof our sport.

There are some great guys on this forum. I actually found a couple of new hunting buddies on this site. There just aren't enough bird hunters in my area to support my habit. I like to go a lot. My wife doesn't like it when I'm hunting alone 4 or 5 hours from home, so it is nice to be able to find someone to go with. Besides, most of the people on this forum are pretty serious bird hunters and the 2 I went with this past season brought some great dogs along.

good dogs are a must and hard to find I am fortunate to own and train some of the best in this part of the country. and if anyone wants to make plans for this years upcoming season feel free to email me at jeanderson76@hotmail.com or call 785-673-8120. my plans are usually full from year to year but am always willing to include more hunters into our circle. we are a very safe group that takes pride in our dog work. and classify a succesful day by how much fun and comoradorie we had in the field that day.

FLUSH EM HARD ROCKY you are welcome if you decide to come to my neck of the woods. just bring your gun,dog,and a smile and we will have a great day in the field.

KANSAS BRITTANY if you want good dogs take your pic we can run 1 or 2 or we can run as many as fifteen in the field at the same time and have more fun than a kid at the circus

Back