Herter's Shotgun Shells

The herters name was purchased by Cabelas and by all accounts they make cheap garbage overseas.

An acquaintence of mine purchase some. Had trouble with them ejecting, even from pump guns. Seems the brass really expands and they get stuck in the gun. Had this problem with shell after shell.

The guy at the range said they had seen that with other folks shooting those shells as well.

YMMV

Mike C.

As is the custom use a "brand name", or at least a old time venerated name to sell slop. I grit my teeth when I go by Amercrombie and Finch! In the old days Herter's had some great stuff, had some stuff that sounded great, may not turn out that way, and some bargains, like an old musty department store in a catalogue, I re-read page after page till they were slick. I good some great items and some memorable conversation pieces, but I sure enjoyed it. Cabela's has never appealed to me the same way, neither does Bass Pro.

I used some 16 Ga. 8's this week for sporting clays & thought they performed quite well and were quite clean. Cabela's had a sale on them & I bought a couple of flats. Probably should have gotten more.

I too am looking at the 16 ga. shells but think I'll steer clear on the Herter's. I use the lighter loads in my NSTRA field trials. I'll either order some more B&P's or I can buy Remington 1 oz. game loads locally for $7.99 a box. I've been looking for some 16 ga. shells online and it seems every place is pretty much sold out and they are on back order. Wonder what's up with that??

I shoot skeet with a guy who has been shooting Herters for a while. I think he got a good deal on them. So far, no problems. They seem to work as well as any.

Back