hernia - puppy

glp

Hey all, I have a question if any one could answer or advise.
My 8 week old Brittany has developed an umbilcal hernia.
She appears in no distress, has no problems with bowel or bladder.
I have been advised that this can wait to be repaired when she goes in to be spayed.
What are your ideas or thoughts?
Thanks guys!

Sounds like good advice. Hernias are tolerable if the dog does not get too crazy running around and it will be cheaper only putting her out once.

Remington (a GSP) had a Herina infection when i got him so i got him for free if i took care of him.

remington had his done for 75.00 and did great after.

Hey all, I have a question if any one could answer or advise.
My 8 week old Brittany has developed an umbilcal hernia.
She appears in no distress, has no problems with bowel or bladder.
I have been advised that this can wait to be repaired when she goes in to be spayed.
What are your ideas or thoughts?
Thanks guys!

This is a fairly common condition in young pups. It may have happened when the bi**h was cutting the umbilical cord. It is not a genetic condition. Sometimes these will disappear as the puppy grows.

If the hernia is small and not bothersome, repair can wait until she is spayed.

Natty B.

advice on hernia

Hey thanks alot all. The pup is active and exhibits no problems.
Having a great time teaching both of us. Can't wait to tear it up!

Most can be left alone. You should be able to rub it gently and get it to go back into the abdomen. If this is the case, it still could close up on it's own. If it continues to grow, it should be fixed. If you bought the pup from a breeder, they should cover the cost. Some hernia's will trap a bit of fat outside the abdomen wall, get hard, and close up leaving a hard lump. These are ok. What you don't want is to have a bend of the bowel drop through and become constricted. This is very dangerous and could kill the pup. The time from it dropping to when it is too late is very short. If it stays about the size of the end of your little finger it will probably be ok.

Back