Here's my pipe dream

Bob Peters

I just checked, 3.5 hour drive to hit the border and Brookings County. So I could leave MN early in the morning and hunt that day, then maybe another 2 days, and maybe even another half day. So let's say 3.5 days hunting. License $150, gas for the trip prolly $200, hotel stay, etc. Man I could buy a lot of birds at the game farm for 500 bucks. And even if I did, and shot and found all 20 of em, I'd get way more satisfaction from one wild one out in South Dakota, chasing him on his terms in his habitat. A guy can dream anyways. I need to talk to the boss about a vacation day or two....

I just checked, 3.5 hour drive to hit the border and Brookings County. So I could leave MN early in the morning and hunt that day, then maybe another 2 days, and maybe even another half day. So let's say 3.5 days hunting. License $150, gas for the trip prolly $200, hotel stay, etc. Man I could buy a lot of birds at the game farm for 500 bucks. And even if I did, and shot and found all 20 of em, I'd get way more satisfaction from one wild one out in South Dakota, chasing him on his terms in his habitat. A guy can dream anyways. I need to talk to the boss about a vacation day or two....
Have you seen the forecast? It’s a no-brainer! I drove to Duquette MN today to pick up ribs…ordered 12 more racks for Saturday pick up…leaving for SD Sunday am…will be delivering ribs to favorite farmers during the afternoon playoff games…winds gusting to 30+, may wait until Monday to hunt…🍺👍😝

The forecast looks great for next week. I’m leaving Sunday and plan to hunt Monday -Friday. Should be a nice way to end the season. Go for it because it’s gonna be 9 months before you can do it again.

The forecast looks great for next week. I’m leaving Sunday and plan to hunt Monday -Friday. Should be a nice way to end the season. Go for it because it’s gonna be 9 months before you can do it again.
or a few months less for other prairie birds

2015- buddy and I left vicksburg MS and headed to SD for a 3-day guided hunt on a fri, sat, sun. We decided to leave on a Monday and drove straight thru to Custer, toured the black hills, Rushmore, badlands and ended up in Mithcell to meet the rest of our group Thursday night at the outfitters. We arrived in Mitchell wed night and stayed at a motel. Got up thurs morning and decided to kick around some public spots without a dog. It was our first time to ever hunt the public spots. We kicked up and knocked down enough for a two man limit, but lost 3 we couldn’t find.

After the guided hunt, I told myself I would have a dog one day and come back for freelance public land hunt. Five years later I got a lab. She’s been on 4 SD public/private hunts with me the last two years.

This year, another buddy and took my lab and his rookie GSP for a 5 day public land hunt in Nnovember. After fuel, meals, motels and license, the trip cost about $750 each. We put limits in the air within gun range everyday.

It’s quite satisfying striking out on a public land hunt and putting a few in the vest. Worth the drive every time.

Last edited:
My goldens have been very heat tolerant up on the September prairies. Always have water available and know where the dugouts are.
I have been chasing those prairie bird just shy of 40 years. It is amazing the amount of wildlife there is, once you know where to look.
My FB golden girls are light and quick at 45#-50#. A lot to love on the golden prairie.

I just hunted 2 days out there. Had fun,only got 1 bird.Mostly public land.I only fired my gun one time.Did blow a few holes in the ice for bird drink.

Have you seen the forecast? It’s a no-brainer! I drove to Duquette MN today to pick up ribs…ordered 12 more racks for Saturday pick up…leaving for SD Sunday am…will be delivering ribs to favorite farmers during the afternoon playoff games…winds gusting to 30+, may wait until Monday to hunt…🍺👍😝
You never miss football unless it's emergency.

While you are there you could do some recon for a place for your parents to move into. Boom, next years expenses would only be on gas and Iicense.

Man this always makes me jealous. 3 hours was how far I used to drive just for bad bird population area. Did day trips very often that way. Now I'm even further, but got other birds to hunt.

I just surveyed 100 hunting dogs, 99 said they didn't care where the pheasants were born. The fun of "pursuit of birds" was the same. Was better then not. Ask your dog before dreaming. Just sayin "eh"
I would not dis honor my dog by shooting ditch monkeys.

Whelp, the pipe dream has went down the drain. The starter on my truck is on the fritz. I talked to my mechanic buddy Sunday at the trap club and he's two weeks out. I'd love nothing more than to watch Skye run unfettered through the wild South Dakota prairie for a precious few days. Alas alack, tis not to be. Seasons in life, like seasons in hunting come and go. I won't tell all this to Skye, I'll still take her out to chase wild roosters a few times in MN sans gun. Good luck you guys still hunting. I can't wait till October.

Back