Help

Just arrived in KS from South Carolina. Made the 19hr track to Milford. Did some pretty serious scouting out west of Clay Center. Not one rooster, stuck 2x!!!!! Managed to get out spent 2 miles in 4low but it was slippery. Talked to 2 game wardens they suggested we ride 2 hrs west to hunt in the morning. Look guys I don’t need gps coordinates, just some general last minute advice. Just go blindly to a wiha around Milford, or make the 2 hr track out west? I did ask 2 farmers for permission but both turned me down. I almost turned N in Kansas City to head towards SD. Please help me make this trip worth while. I can share some wonderful bourbons n cigars.

Thxs,
Josh

Just arrived in KS from South Carolina. Made the 19hr track to Milford. Did some pretty serious scouting out west of Clay Center. Not one rooster, stuck 2x!!!!! Managed to get out spent 2 miles in 4low but it was slippery. Talked to 2 game wardens they suggested we ride 2 hrs west to hunt in the morning. Look guys I don’t need gps coordinates, just some general last minute advice. Just go blindly to a wiha around Milford, or make the 2 hr track out west? I did ask 2 farmers for permission but both turned me down. I almost turned N in Kansas City to head towards SD. Please help me make this trip worth while. I can share some wonderful bourbons n cigars.

Thxs,
Josh

If you go 2 hours west plan on getting stuck more than twice.

You're not really into pheasant country yet (good quail country though), they're fairly sparse that far east. Two or three hours further west will be a good start. Much more walk in land out that way too.

For years, back in the 80's and 90's Belleville was my go to spot for pheasant hunting. No need to go 2 or 3 hours west. Belleville has lots of public ground and you will do as well there as anywhere. Opening week is always tough and your less likely to gain permission the first 2 weeks. Heck I live out here and don't bother going much opening weekend. Next time plan your trip in December and you will enjoy alot more.

Last edited:
For years, back in the 80's and 90's Belleville was my go to spot for pheasant hunting. No need to go 2 or 3 hours west. Belleville has lots of public ground and you will do as well there as anywhere. Opening week is always tough and your less likely to gain permission the first 2 weeks. Heck I live out here and don't bother going much opening weekend. Next time plan your trip in December and you will enjoy alot more.

Thanks my friend! We’ll give her a go. Pm your info i can send a care package when I get back to SC.

Thanks my friend! We’ll give her a go. Pm your info i can send a care package when I get back to SC.

The resevoir about 15 minutes from Belleville has lot of public hunting. Killed alot roosters there back in the day. You could also check out Glen Elder. Roads will probably be more driveable on the public areas.

The resevoir about 15 minutes from Belleville has lot of public hunting. Killed alot roosters there back in the day. You could also check out Glen Elder. Roads will probably be more driveable on the public areas.

Hey your killing me....,I’d be content to shoot a few quail. If we go that far west will be outta quail land? Or will we have the op for a mixed bag? I’m sad I didn’t ride to SD. However I set a goal of killing a wild rooster in all the states that had huntable populations with Jager when I bought him. ND, SD, MI off the list. I hope to knock KS out tomorrow.

Hey your killing me....,I’d be content to shoot a few quail. If we go that far west will be outta quail land? Or will we have the op for a mixed bag? I’m sad I didn’t ride to SD. However I set a goal of killing a wild rooster in all the states that had huntable populations with Jager when I bought him. ND, SD, MI off the list. I hope to knock KS out tomorrow.

Oh no. That is all good for quail. Your only talking about an hour from Clay Center.

Head west 2-3 hours as said. If it were me I’d head to the Russell area. You should find a nice mixed bag there. Just be prepared for the crowds. Hit up Wilson lake and the wiha around there and north of there. Quail, phez and chickens. Make sure you have your chicken permit though.

Clay center is on the eastern edge of phez country these days. There are a few there but your best bet is still west of there.

You can pm me if you would like and I’ll help you all I can. I know how bad it sucks to travel a long way only to find out it’s not what you thought.

I’ll be killing mallards in the timber in the morning but will be home in the evening.

Around jewell county and down towards Salina isn't too bad a haul from where you are. We have hunted there and west for years. Should definitely find some quail and the occasional rooster. Look for newly cut milo fields (if there are any yet). I would avoid standing milo. Obviously don't walk in a farmer's standing crop but even CRP around standing milo is usually sparse.

Head west 2-3 hours as said. If it were me I’d head to the Russell area. You should find a nice mixed bag there. Just be prepared for the crowds. Hit up Wilson lake and the wiha around there and north of there. Quail, phez and chickens. Make sure you have your chicken permit though.

Clay center is on the eastern edge of phez country these days. There are a few there but your best bet is still west of there.

You can pm me if you would like and I’ll help you all I can. I know how bad it sucks to travel a long way only to find out it’s not what you thought.

I’ll be killing mallards in the timber in the morning but will be home in the evening.

my advice for next season......get west of Salina for sure. quail and phez both west of there all the way to the Colorado border.. wait until after TG. the crowds are gone, most of the crops are out (harvest late this year out west, due to fall rains)......during the week you will have it by yourself. then you will have some success knocking on doors and getting permission on private ground.....deer season this year 11-28 until 12-09, can be a little hectic on weekends especially, although not bad IMO good luck..

Duckn66 you having any luck with the ducks,heading that way first week of December to pheasant hunt ,but also looking to get some duck hunting in also,coming from va.

Duckn66 you having any luck with the ducks,heading that way first week of December to pheasant hunt ,but also looking to get some duck hunting in also,coming from va.

We have a few ducks around now. Will get another push around the time you will be here.

Just a note... Chickens are closed until next weekend.. Don’t shoot any. ;)

A farmer friend of mine ( BIG farmer and hunter ) west of Bellville told me three days ago that he hasn’t seen any pheasants at all this year and very few last year. He farms alot of ground and is obviously in the field a great deal...just passing that along FWIW.

Thanks for all the help guys how did around Belleville yesterday saw one rooster three Hans to cubbies of quail....lol i’m driving so talk to text and I can’t correct it that would be unsafe. Went between Russell in Hayes today but up a Hen and one copy a quail got soaking wet feet pissed off I’m going home. I could’ve drove to more hours in honey my honey holes and South Dakota I’m kind of bummed out but now I know

Back