Help

You drove all that way for just 2 days? I agree I woulda went to where I knew the birds were. But as long as it was a good time I guess that makes up for some.

Thanks for all the help guys how did around Belleville yesterday saw one rooster three Hans to cubbies of quail....lol i’m driving so talk to text and I can’t correct it that would be unsafe. Went between Russell in Hayes today but up a Hen and one copy a quail got soaking wet feet pissed off I’m going home. I could’ve drove to more hours in honey my honey holes and South Dakota I’m kind of bummed out but now I know

Kansas is a tough nut to crack. There’s as good of pheasant hunting there as anywhere with the exception South Dakota, but there’s also lots and lots of opportunity for frustration and bafflement.

Kansas is a tough nut to crack. There’s as good of pheasant hunting there as anywhere with the exception South Dakota, but there’s also lots and lots of opportunity for frustration and bafflement.

I think that is where I am at. I walked 11 miles Sat and saw one rooster and 3 hens. I should have had the rooster as he came on a beautiful point. I just missed. My take is Kansas is to big for a dog and a man. I'm used to SD where Jager and I hunt sloughs in picked fields. We pinch the birds. Probably the greatest thing I ever did was train him to come to a beep on his e - collar. Totally unplanned, now I can walk him to one side of a slough give him a stay command, walk o the other side then beep him to come and we pinch the areas together. Kinda made it easy. I can't get over the hunting pressure, and the unethical, gentleman like behavior of the folks. We literally had folks just tag along in the middle of a walk?????WTH never seen anything like this in my life. Just jumped out the truck and helped drive the field we were hunting....didn't ask to join, I guess they didn't need to it's open hunting land....but it was awkward to say the least. I will say you guys have quail!!!!!!!!!!! Enough so that I'll be back.

I think that is where I am at. I walked 11 miles Sat and saw one rooster and 3 hens. I should have had the rooster as he came on a beautiful point. I just missed. My take is Kansas is to big for a dog and a man. I'm used to SD where Jager and I hunt sloughs in picked fields. We pinch the birds. Probably the greatest thing I ever did was train him to come to a beep on his e - collar. Totally unplanned, now I can walk him to one side of a slough give him a stay command, walk o the other side then beep him to come and we pinch the areas together. Kinda made it easy. I can't get over the hunting pressure, and the unethical, gentleman like behavior of the folks. We literally had folks just tag along in the middle of a walk?????WTH never seen anything like this in my life. Just jumped out the truck and helped drive the field we were hunting....didn't ask to join, I guess they didn't need to it's open hunting land....but it was awkward to say the least. I will say you guys have quail!!!!!!!!!!! Enough so that I'll be back.

Most important fact, always avoid opening weekend...always.

There's plenty of opportunity for a guy and his dog. Shelterbelts, low spots choked with kochia, etc. Most of the time I hunt it's just me and the dog, same for a lot of folks here, often with great success. The terrain changes a lot, depending on where you are in the state. So you might have to hunt different areas a little differently. It's certainly not "too big" for one man to hunt though. From what I gather, you were outside the main pheasant range. There's lots of areas that hold very good numbers of pheasants. You can't make a judgment on a state from just one hunt. If I did that, I'd say South Dakota sucks (which I know it doesn't, just had a very tough hunt this year).

Never had anyone walk so close to me either, that would've ticked me off, too.

Last edited:
Back