Help with hunting big grass fields

RGettman

I'm in central Kansas for the rest of the week on private land. Most of the leases seem to be CRP or grass fields. Any suggestions as to time of day and technique to increase my chance of getting a shot at any birds the areas hold? I'm hunting by myself with a 18 month old GSP. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

When its just me and a dog, I'll often times just dump the dog and follow it wherever it wants to go. Many times I've caught myself trying to go to a certain spot in a field, be it a slough, a weed patch, a sunny hillside, etc, and the dog went elsewhere only to point a bird. I figure the dog has the nose, let it use it.

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much been my strategy too. I do sometimes try to use the truck as a blocker but that often means twice the walking.

When its just me and a dog, I'll often times just dump the dog and follow it wherever it wants to go. Many times I've caught myself trying to go to a certain spot in a field, be it a slough, a weed patch, a sunny hillside, etc, and the dog went elsewhere only to point a bird. I figure the dog has the nose, let it use it.

X2. That's what makes hunting alone with a dog so darn effective, especially when you can keep the noise down also.:thumbsup:

I would hit the biggest and burliest CRP fields at dawn and dusk, especially if it is near a feed field. The birds are probably roosting there, so it's a good place to start or end your day. They have a lot of options of where to go during the day, but will always try to roost in the same places. If you find some really thick grass during the day with bird sign but no birds in it, then be sure to try that area again at dawn or dusk.

You may also want to look to see where the escape routes are out of the field. You can make your first move across that escape route so the most of the runners will be cut of and stay in the grass. But you want to hunt into or across the wind as much as you can. And work the corners out.

But as my fellow Cat fan stated, with just you and the dog, it is best to just follow the dog for the most part. They will find more birds than you will.

It will be a good learning experience for your dog.

Another option is to invite a fellow UPH'r along to help;)

Seriously though, the "follow your dog" advice is best. When alone with a dog, I don't even make a "plan." We just go wherever the pup decides to go.

I usually have my best luck in big grass patches at the far side of them the farthest from the road. This is especially true in WIHA. A lot of guys just don't get that far from the truck.

Another tactic is to hunt across the wind and then follow any scent the dog picks up. My buddy and I did that in CRP on Saturday and it worked well. We spread our field crosses by about 40 yards. More obvious is if there is an abutting field of stubble or stalks, you'll want to hunt the grass alongside. If the stubble of stalks are across a road, you can catch the birds crossing on foot or wing in the morning and then late afternoon during feedings. Good luck.

Works pretty good sometimes to start out at one corner then work into the patch and head for a corner or edge that seems to have the best hiding cover.

Pictured is a Big CREP field (6 quarters, 960 acres) that I regularly hunt with just me and the dog, and often shoot limits out of. As others said, get in and follow your dog. I also like to try and pinch to a road on one side. The road seems to get a few birds to hold tight. In the evening I like to walk from the middle towards one of the surrounding corn fields to intercept birds returning to roost. I have shot more birds out of this piece than all others combined in the past several years.
IMG_1296.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. I'll put them to work tomorrow. Today I worked the CRP but it was mid day. I'll pay more attention to the feeding ares and time of day. Guess I'd better turn the lights out so I can be in the field earlier. I did get up 5 birds today but the four close ones were all hens.

Thanks for ideas. I'll put them into practice in the morning. Today I got up 5 birds but the four close ones were hens. I'll also try to get to the field earlier. Looking forward to another fine Kansas day in the field.

There have been a number of good recommendations already given. First rule with pheasants is be quiet. Also, know where the birds want to be. First thing in the morning they are going to be on top of the hill overlooking the food source. That means you need to know what they are eating. NEVER park near where you think the birds are! Park across the patch with your approach using the wind to your advantage. Watch the terraces! Birds tend to collect in terrace channels and loaf there mid day and in bad weather. Use the edges! They are perfect blockers, use the wind to flank the birds back into the edge where your dog can be most effective. Trust the dog! If he/she wants to go somewhere, you should want to go along. Look for islands of food or heavier cover within a CRP stand. Time your visits with when the birds should be there! Don't overlook the middle! Too many hunters work the edge and head to the next patch. Cut the pie once in awhile and you find that you mostly find roosters out there in the forgotten center. Don't overlook tiny patches. Many times the birds find a small patch is never hit by hunters, it becomes their haven. Heal the dog quietly to the downwind side and get-er-done! Most of all, be ready when the dog is telling you to. Even if they let down for a second, stay vigilant and you will frequently be rewarded when either the bird gets nervous or the dog gets back on track!

Today I put many of the ideas into play. Scored the first bird of the trip and missed another. Surprised how tight the birds are sitting. The dog has done a fine job for his first Kansas hunt. Cant wait for tomorrow.

Pictured is a Big CREP field (6 quarters, 960 acres) that I regularly hunt with just me and the dog, and often shoot limits out of. As others said, get in and follow your dog. I also like to try and pinch to a road on one side. The road seems to get a few birds to hold tight. In the evening I like to walk from the middle towards one of the surrounding corn fields to intercept birds returning to roost. I have shot more birds out of this piece than all others combined in the past several years.
IMG_1296.jpg

I sure wish I had 960 acres to hunt by myself! You are one lucky fellow JPH.

Wasn't going to post as all the above tips are great. But, this had me thinking all morning long. So here are a few more. I have used these tactics very successfully. On those real windy days, when you feel like you are walking past the birds because they do not want to move, try walking with the wind zig zaging, stealth is not a priory. Then about 2/3 down the field, get out on the road or fence line and quietly get to the end. Hunt into the wind slowly. I have found that I moved birds towards that end and to tend to flush easier as they have been moved.

For those time when you know you are moving birds and dog is working good scent, then dog seems to lose scent, walk back to last scenty place and stand still letting dog work, also have dog stand still for some time as well. You would be surprised at how tight some birds will sit and for how long. The standing still and quiet part really gets to them and they flush.

KK

Today I put many of the ideas into play. Scored the first bird of the trip and missed another. Surprised how tight the birds are sitting. The dog has done a fine job for his first Kansas hunt. Cant wait for tomorrow.

good for you- sometimes the birds sit tight because they figure a dog or something is working to get close- sometimes it's because of a smart dog that goes easy when it gets some scent- I kind of do alot of just standing and letting the dog work- or dogs in my case- I don't mind that mine swing arround behind me- figure they've got a reason to- and these pheasants move arround pretty good when they don't really want to fly

sure sounds like you've got a smart bird dog- enjoy the outting- this year one rooster and it all being good is not too bad at all

nicely said Troy- kind of hope alot of hunters who hunt out here don't read the post:)

Back