Hello from SE NM

Blondebomber

Hello all, I am from SE NM (blue quail country). I am wanting to know if anyone knows of a lodge in Ontario Canada that would allow me to bring bird dog for grouse. The family and I fished Eagle Lake pre covid and the manager at the lodge we stayed up was telling me how many grouse there are, but they don't allow dogs. I have two gsp's but would only bring my 7 year old well behaved bird finding machine. The manager at the lodge we stayed at kept telling me dogs weren't necessary and I tried telling him over and over that was the main reason I hunt, because of the dogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to hunt ND, SD, and maybe wy on way back. I would like to go in October. If anyone can point me in the right direction as far as general areas of the Ontario(especially a lodge that is dog friendly) and maybe some areas in the states I've mentioned I would greatly appreciate it. I generally hunt AZ, NM, and TX and so I would be venturing way out of my zone. Thanks for any help! I don't mind walking, in fact I would rather walk further back and get away from the road hunters and crowds. Please don't get me mixed up with anyone else from NM. I am a bird hunting fool, not looking to scam anyone in any way shape or form, I just want to bird hunt. I am also a freedom loving American who tries to pursue the American dream. When regulations grow, freedoms die! Hoping everyone shoots straight and is able at some point in their lives to hunt behind a good bird dog.

Last edited:
Id call some of the other fishing lodges in ON and see. Its their off time so id bet they'd help you out. I can point you in the right direction for Blue Grouse and Sage Grouse in Wyoming. Id say anywhere near the MN or MI borders would be a good location.

Thanks! I spent part of the morning at post office to see about renewing my passport-it expired 2 years ago. I'm going to another post office that can do the process for me, but the turnaround time might put me in Canada in mid november and so I think I may not be able to go. I don't want to risk getting snowed in up there. I would love to hunt chucker and huns as well as sage grouse in WY. My buddy lives near Cody and I was going to stay with him and fish and see what upland birds he has on his place. So instead of Canada I might go to Idaho for 4-5 days and trek back to WY. I met a man last year that was hunting mearns in NM and he was from WY. He told me that around Rawlings was good for sage grouse. Would I find chucker, sage grouse, and huns all near Rawlings? Thanks for any and all advice. Like I said, I am in decent shape and don't mind walking all day-the more remote the better. Thank you!

Thanks! I spent part of the morning at post office to see about renewing my passport-it expired 2 years ago. I'm going to another post office that can do the process for me, but the turnaround time might put me in Canada in mid november and so I think I may not be able to go. I don't want to risk getting snowed in up there. I would love to hunt chucker and huns as well as sage grouse in WY. My buddy lives near Cody and I was going to stay with him and fish and see what upland birds he has on his place. So instead of Canada I might go to Idaho for 4-5 days and trek back to WY. I met a man last year that was hunting mearns in NM and he was from WY. He told me that around Rawlings was good for sage grouse. Would I find chucker, sage grouse, and huns all near Rawlings? Thanks for any and all advice. Like I said, I am in decent shape and don't mind walking all day-the more remote the better. Thank you!
I have guided deer and elk hunters in Carbon County Wyoming north of Rawlings. I can’t recall ever seeing any Chukar or Huns there but I wouldn’t say I’ve been in great habitat for them. I have hunted in NE Oregon and SE Washington and had good hunting some years. I’ve actually found Chukar, Huns, Ruff Grouse, and Valley Quail all in the same day there. I’ve heard Idaho is better than either Oregon and Washington.
I think the key to good hunting is what kind of weather did they have that spring and summer there.

Back