heading back to SD wed am...

benelli-banger

looks like some fresh snow Tuesday...will arrive Wed, maybe hunt that afternoon, maybe not...will hunt Thur-Monday, maybe I will start Wed and use up two 5-day licenses, in which case I may hunt through Tuesday...get 7 days out of the two licenses that way...either way, anxious to get back out there...left there on 12/14, it will have been over two weeks since I walked the SD soil...looking forward to the weekend warmup! Good luck if you are able to get out!!!!

I shoot an ultra light. Today was epic...big #’s of birds bunched up, many held tight...just two of us. Memories for life! Great dog work, good shooting...beautiful day in SD!!! Happy new year!!!!😁👍👌
Back that talk up with pic BB.......Happy New Year to you as well!

Birds are definitely bunched! Saw a few hundred in our last spot yesterday, but they were escaping the area we were hunting as our group of 6 were getting into position. We killed 6 or so on that push, all good for a 45 minute hunt, nice to know there are good #’s around. Earlier in the day my buddy and I did pretty well, but it was slower than day 1...we hunted some great spots that day, it seems. Great weather, great food, great friends, great dogs, but poor shooting on my part on day 2!!!! Ouch!!!1609592163107.png

Driving early and late in the day one really sees what is present as far as #’s...lots of birds!!! The snow sure makes them conspicuous...fun to see!👍🥳

My buddy is a gourmet cook...he took 6 birds and made stock from them by simmering them for a few hours in a Dutch oven with onion, celery, carrots and spices...then he shreds the meat after the birds cool off, and later he will add the meat into the stock which he turns into a rue with the help of flour and butter and heavy cream...he calls it bechemel sauce...he adds peas near the end, and serves the creamed pheasant over toast...very good!!!! 🤪

My partner left early this am, I went to town to get the 4 ingredients for my chuck roast—the roast, a jar of chili sauce, a can of coke, and Lipton dry onion soup packet...slow cooking in Dutch oven. Got out around 11:30, back to truck by 1:00...done. Birds in cattails busted wild...50? Maybe more...killed one. Got the others in deciduous trees that have a floor of grass adjacent to picked corn. Too quick, oh well! Gorgeous day, 10 year old lab made great retrieve...🥳🤩😄

My partner left early this am, I went to town to get the 4 ingredients for my chuck roast—the roast, a jar of chili sauce, a can of coke, and Lipton dry onion soup packet...slow cooking in Dutch oven. Got out around 11:30, back to truck by 1:00...done. Birds in cattails busted wild...50? Maybe more...killed one. Got the others in deciduous trees that have a floor of grass adjacent to picked corn. Too quick, oh well! Gorgeous day, 10 year old lab made great retrieve...🥳🤩😄
Nice.I got a rooster, and a gobbler a few days ago. Had my dog with me.She would not retrieve that big bird, but we had fun.South Dakota next year man!!

Back