Have any preseason rituals?

Rogue Hunter

Do anything, unrelated to hunting that you do/perform before the season starts?

Mine is, 2-3 weeks before the season opener, I dedicate myself to a complete "deep" clean of the homestead: yard, garage, and house. Then I can ignore everything for two months without feeling guilty.

I usually ignore those things until after pheasant hunting. Then I regret it :)

Like winterizing the boat, etc........

Winterize the boat,the camper,the pick up.Make arrangements with my cousin to hunt. Sometimes I call a few farmers in the north, and get a report. Change the oil on the Ford, and the economy rig. Lube my guns, check my licenses, check my boots.

Winterize the boat
This is me too. Normally I fish until about mid October and don't start pheasant hunting until after deer season in November, but the weather has been so warm here that I plan to fish until the end of the month this fall instead. The water temp is still almost 70 degrees. I saw people water skiing last weekend.

For the past ~20 years, I meet with my 2 older brothers and usually some cousins/friends for a 1 week hunt in ND.
I've never missed my first bird of the season in 45 years. My cousin however,never hits anything opening trip. He always wiffs on birds he mistakes for shaptails...lol.
I think I have the same cousin!!!

For the past ~20 years, I meet with my 2 older brothers and usually some cousins/friends for a 1 week hunt in ND in Nov. In the gym, I'm on the treadmill with 6 lb ankle weights and 8-10 lb dumbell, trying to simulate field conditions. In addition, weightlifting to build strength and stamina. I know it sounds anal but it pays off!

My cousin can't tell the difference between a hen and a sharptail.He's good at getting permission, so I always take him.

Im confused. Is your cousin the one that is tarded or is that freind? Or are their lots of dudes rockin the Downs up in Mountana?

Im confused. Is your cousin the one that is tarded or is that freind? Or are their lots of dudes rockin the Downs up in Mountana?
Lol. My cousin isn't retarded, he isn't right, but he isn't retarded. There is another guy who hunts with is us, who has issues. These guys need to take hunters ED.

Generally I pack for 20-40 below, bring 14 pairs of socks use 4 and never bust out the thermals. But, you just never know! Good luck to everyone this season! @Lointer man

For the past ~20 years, I meet with my 2 older brothers and usually some cousins/friends for a 1 week hunt in ND in Nov. In the gym, I'm on the treadmill with 6 lb ankle weights and 8-10 lb dumbell, trying to simulate field conditions. In addition, weightlifting to build strength and stamina. I know it sounds anal but it pays off!
I have an annual family hunt in Montana. I enjoy hunting with these guys,even though they are only hunting once a year.I talk to them about sharptails and hens, and turkeys and roosters ect. It never does any good lol.

Back