Has LL BEAN fallen ?

Brad6260

For many years LL Bean was my go to favorite source for just about all of my many outdoor pursuits. From gear to clothes for hunting and all else they were great. I started seeing a change a few years ago. First it was a drop in quality and recently it seems like every item I want is on back order. I hoped they were not going down the Eddie Bauer path but ?

Have others seem the same thing ?

Llb

Hope Not. One of my very favorite purveyors of clothing and hunting/fishing gear.

We just ordered several turtlenecks from them. Everything was in stock and delivery was as promised. Quality was top notch as per usual.

NB

Big Fan of Bean for their quality and customer services.
Just ordered one of their Kathadin Sweatshirts and its great.
About to return my 2nd pair of Technical Boots. Love the boot and bindings but not waterproof in standing snow and water.
Had a pair of chaps last almost 4 years of abuse.
Good stuff

To be fair they have continued to uphold their outstanding lifetime warranty
without issue. The back order scenario is what's bothered me the most.
If it were just one or two times that one thing and it's not like I was ordering stuff days before xmas.

L.L. Bean used to be my "go to" place as well....when I lived in NJ I would go to Maine and or Vermont every October to grouse and woodcock hunt....a stop at L.L. Bean was always made to buy stuff and look around. they were open 365 days a week and 24 hours a day so no matter what time of day I rolled through town I could go in and shop. But the area there has changed soo much over the years and now its just one huge tourist attraction...less emphasis on sportsman and more on supplying the Under Armour Army of 30 somethings running to Starbucks for a latte

Yeah, I've noticed a change. My wife bought me a fathers day gift from them that I didn't get until December.

Be glad they make an effort. Go to Ambercrombie-Fitch, or Eddie Bauer. One gone to the loud, ( and I mean LOUD) music, and the perfumed trade, the other sells housewares, and ski wear! Egads.

In terms of the LL Bean branded products that they sell, their products have definitely suffered in quality...which makes me wonder if that's why they've shifted more of their emphasis to selling other manufacturer's gear.

I've generally found their fly fishing gear to be terrible and well below the bar compared to other similarly priced players out there (e.g. Redington or Orvis). On the upland hunting side, Bean is still solid with some notable misses like their technical upland coat. Their Gore Tex Upland Field Pant and Gore Tex Upland Field Coat are some of the best items I own. Camping/hiking gear is a mixed bag but by and large I've found their apparel and gear items to not be at the same level as their competitors (e.g. REI, Patagonia, Osprey, etc)....again with some notable exceptions such as their sleeping bags, tents, and sleeping pads.

Overall, their sticking to their decision to focus the bulk of their efforts on the lifestyle brands.

We have some more in depth reviews on our blog if anyone is interested.

Back