Harvest

My renter is Starting harvesting the flowers today, with all the rain we have had, Harvest has been delayed a little. But still way ahead of last year.

Farm is between Jamestown and Bismarck, hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks for the report. Hopefully beans will be off too. I just hope it isn't raining while I'm there. One year it rained for the majority of the time and those roads were like driving on axle grease!

Interesting.

The sun flowers we saw were certainly far from ready (still green) and most growers used to wait for several hard frosts or a freeze before combining flowers. Sun flowers were usually the 2nd to last crop harvested (corn being last).

We were in the same general area 8 days ago. Soy beans were about 20% in. Small grains done and with all the rain ... many were green grass fields again.

Interesting.

The sun flowers we saw were certainly far from ready (still green) and most growers used to wait for several hard frosts or a freeze before combining flowers. Sun flowers were usually the 2nd to last crop harvested (corn being last).

We were in the same general area 8 days ago. Soy beans were about 20% in. Small grains done and with all the rain ... many were green grass fields again.

My renter, which is usually around the average in the area, to slightly ahead. In terms of when he harvests. Only has Sunflowers and corn Left. the sunflowers he was unable to begin yesterday because they were at 14 moisture. he is hoping today or tomorrow they will be at 12 and he will start.

3 weeks ago he was hoping to start flowers around sept 15th and corn around oct 1st. but with all the rain we have had, he has had to push things back about 10 days or so.

I know last year he didn't start corn until oct 25th. cause when we were hunting over Halloween and he was still harvesting.

So this year with the great growing conditions we have had, I think the harvest is 2 to 3 weeks ahead of last year. even with all this rain we have a had.

I know my parents, who have lived on the farm since 1950 can never remember a summer/fall when the have had to mow there lawn after sept 15th and they think they might have to mow it in October.

I will check with some other guys and let you know when the are planning to harvest Corn/Flowers.

Jim

Oh how I wish lawn mowing was over on September 15. I usually mow up until November.

Amen brother. I thought I might have to cut grass for Christmas last year. Oh how I wish for the old winter patterns we use to always have. Frost by mid Oct. Not anymore it seems.

We usually Don't have to mow our lawn In August out there.

I did talk to another farmer he said he is harvesting Soybeans currently. And Plans To start on Flowers next week.

Jim

so an update to the crop report. In my area About 90% of sunflowers are off, I only saw 1 Field of beans left, 90% beans done. But the corn is a 1 to 2 weeks away. all the corn for silage is down.

Crosby Harvest?

Jim,
Knowing where things are at where you are, would you have any idea where the harvest should be in the NW/Crosby area? Or is there an ag site that might update percentages as the fall harvest progresses?
Just wondering what we will find when we get out in there. They've had some light snow the last few days, but the 10 day forecast looks pretty dry.
Thanks for any insight!

Jim,
Knowing where things are at where you are, would you have any idea where the harvest should be in the NW/Crosby area? Or is there an ag site that might update percentages as the fall harvest progresses?
Just wondering what we will find when we get out in there. They've had some light snow the last few days, but the 10 day forecast looks pretty dry.
Thanks for any insight!

played basketball in college with a guy from Crosby, good player.

I talked to a farmer in Bottineau, things have been wet up there. he finished up soy beans this week and he is done, he doesn't have flowers or Corn on his farm. No corn or flowers have been cut at other farms around him.

I Talked to a farmer friend in Tioga and he said he just finished up beans on saturday, thought the corn was a week or more away. but no insight on other peoples farms.

I talk to a guy in Willistown, he said it froze last week, but had no insight on where crops were. (he lives in town).

not sure this helps, but its what I found out.

Thanks, guess we will find what we find. In laws are on their way out pulling the 5th wheeler. I can already see I'm not gonna get much done this afternoon at work:laugh:

Just back from East / Central ND. Jamestown metro area if you will. Most all of the beans are off. Corn was started earlier this week and the combines were rolling when we left. If weather holds out , I would expect most of the corn to be off by the end of next week. As more and more corn came off , we saw more birds.

Simply amazing how much corn is now grown in ND. It keeps moving further north and further west every year.

Got back late last night.
Most of the wheat and beans were out (tho still some wheat being cut when we left), and the flax was being cut where we were (Crosby area). Most all the corn was still standing.
Had a great week, will post with pic's on the 2016 thread.

MNXPLORER: Glad you had success. I am familiar with the area you hunted since I have hunted out there on and off since early 90s.

I can tell you the population out there can really cycle (high and low) ... winter can be a huge factor and destroy the boom side of the population cycle in one year. That said, there are enough working ranches in that part of ND which helps protect and keep a base population of pheasants in place. Pheasants are very prolific and can rebound quickly(year or two after a bad winter) ... especially in that area where the base population usually does NOT drop to near zero.

Back