hammer double lover

davidtodd

Howdy!

New guy here, learned about this site from another forum.
Been chasing winged things for well over 40 years with everything from 410's to bows, but my all favourite is a hammer double, preferably a black powder hammer double!:rolleyes:
I live in Northern Alberta, but travel to southern Alberta for pheasants.
Ducks, geese, and ruffies get hunted up north however.:)

David

Welcome to UPH, pull up a stool and enjoy. Love the picture and the Hammer gun.:coolpics:

Thanks for the welcome!
That particular gun is a real diamond in the rough - it's a Westly Richards receiver, but the barrels are from a William Richards and were cut at one time, so it's CYL/CYL.
No matter, I've killed more birds with it than any of my other guns , even geese and ducks when it's loaded with Nice shot or Bismuth and 100 grains of FFG!:)
DT

Glad to have you aboard DT. I think old Musti on here shoots a 14ga black powder hammer gun if I remember correctly. Nice looking pooch you have there.:cheers:

Glad to have you aboard DT. I think old Musti on here shoots a 14ga black powder hammer gun if I remember correctly. Nice looking pooch you have there.:cheers:

Thanks so much, but Louie is not my dog, he belongs to my son.
he is an absolute jewel to hunt over, will NOT bump a porcupine!!:10sign:

He points them , but will not bump.
We hunt a lot of really thick stuff, and Louie will get in there and flush on command, , but he is all brakes on if there is a porky in there !!
Great dog, and a real goofy one at that, so he's lots of fun as well.:p
I shoot muzzle loaders as well as hammerless SXS guns and O/U's , but hammer doubles really crank my tractor!:nutz:
Here's a pic of my big boomer 10 gauge Westley Richards!
It's a bar in wood , the only one I have ever seen except for pictures.

DT

Last edited:
This is my son and his 14 gauge Chance and Sons ML double, it was bequeathed to him by my father and I gave it to him on his 21st birthday .
He took 9 birds with 11 shots that day!
DT

Welcome fellow North American. Great photo. Share some stories about Canadian bird hunting. Had not heard of 14 guage before. Very interesting, always learning something new in this forum.

Last edited:
Just returned from a vacation/tour in Alberta - Banff et al and wondered about bird hunting. The grain fields are huge, lots of canola fields that are beautiful in late July.

Tell us more about pheasant hunting in your province and the 14 ga. shotgun. Assume you need to make your own shells!

Sadly, the pheasant hunting now is not like it was 30 years ago.
At one time Alberta riveled Montana for birds, but the rograms for crops and shelter belts , etc are not implemented here like they are Stateside.
To this end, we have release areas that are set u for recreational hunters, but those are abused often as well.
there are wild birds in Southern Alberta for sure, but you have to hunt for them . Alberta has a rooster only rule.
We do have lots of sharptail grouse, Ruffed grouse and Ptarmigan however.
A far as waterfowl go, we have a great season, and te populations are fantastic!
Now, the 14 gauge? That is a muzzle loader, NOT a cartridge gun, hence the ML in front of itin my previous post!:)

I do however , make black powder cartridges for 10, 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge as well as smokeless loads:)
Our season for pheasants usuallu rns from October to November, in my area howeer ruffed grouse is from September to the end of November
We end up doing a lot of release area shooting as well as wild birds and shooting preserves for pheasants and chukers.
DT

Last edited:
David, Good thread! Welcome to UPH.
Interesting learning about birds North of the Border.
I have a few times hunted pheasants in MT and ND right up next to the Canadian border.
Is bird hunting allowed in Grasslands National Park?

As far as i know there is no hunting allowed in any National Park in Canada
At times there may be a special hunt for big game to get the numbers down, but for birds, no, I am going to step out on a limb and say "no" You can't even pick flowers in a national park!:eek:
DT

Last edited:
Welcome to UPH David!!! Nice pic's!! Hope you share your photo's and stories with us!!!:cheers:

Well BB, here ya go then! This is my favourite hammer double, Westley Richards receiver with a pair of W. Richards barrels.
Barrels are 26",CYL/CYL, and the gun points lightning fast.:)
The ammo used on these birds was brass cased, 90 grains of FFG with 1 1/16 oz of #7 1/2 shot.
This is the gun I have killed more birds with than any other I own.:10sign:
DT

The load I used for the goose hunt was 100 grains of FFG and 1 1/4 OZ of #2 Nice Shot

Last edited:
THANKS!!!! I bet they even taste better when shot with a fine piece of Art!!!!! Good luck this season and thanks for sharing!!:10sign:

Back