Habitat Destruction

Made another trip west from NC and enjoyed the hunting and the birds we found. Lots of pressure in the area around Storm Lake but still birds to be found as you get out away from town. Anywhere close to water seemed to be the key to finding birds this year with the drought effects.

The striking thing to me was the loss of habitat and the loss of crp areas as many seem to be getting plowed under. Something needs to be done to reverse the trend in this area of the country before its too late. NC used to hold huge quail populations and our farmers mowed and cut out the buffers around the field s and now we have to search to find single coveys much less lots of birds. I wish you guys better luck than we had stopping the trends that i saw after a two year absence.

You noticed

Won't happen friend. High crop prices will continue to push setaside and pheasant habitat to the back burner! My son and I traveled 1/3 of the state in the NorthWest this weekend and noticed much eradication of old homesteads, sloughs and crp. I appreciate your compassion and am in agreement with you--too bad we don't own it all.:p

As long as land sells for record prices it will continue. An 80 sold NW of Storm Lake a couple of weeks ago for $20,990/acre. $ 14,000 seems to be the norm.

Who ever pays that amount of money for acerage, especially in NW Iowa, is insane. You can remember that you heard it hear first, this market will bust, within 10 years or less, you can buy it back for a fraction of the cost, and no Bank then, will lend you the money. It may make it back to these levels again, but it will be 50 years to get there! Look at the historic farmland markets. Heck, look at gold! It was 300.00 an ounce in the 1990's and it will be again. Farmers always believe that ground will be more valuable, and it will rain next spring. Pheasants will come back, I hope I'm here to see it.

Last edited:
Most of those prices are due to the ethanol demand which is subsidized or that program wouldn't exist. Crop insurance is subsidized as are the depreciation schedules for equipment etc.....
We spend billions to prevent pollution of the streams and rivers and restore fisheries...somewhere along the line preventing the habitat destruction with its concomitant effects on water quality should occur to someone

Much less the destruction to the hunting industry that is occurring and loss of jobs from loss of revenue in those areas.....

Just saying there should be some benefits to the taxpayers who support these programs as well........

As for the land that was bought, it is probably some of the best farm land there is. That still doesn't mean that it should sell for that price. There are no banks loaning money on that price, The people that are buying the land are not going to the bank anyway. They have been paying cash whether or not they pay 12K or 20K. The people buying are not investors but farmers that are farming the land.

As for the land that was bought, it is probably some of the best farm land there is. That still doesn't mean that it should sell for that price. There are no banks loaning money on that price, The people that are buying the land are not going to the bank anyway. They have been paying cash whether or not they pay 12K or 20K. The people buying are not investors but farmers that are farming the land.

You are exactly right! I'm not 100% sure, but it was one of the neighbors that bought that land. And I do know that the closest two bids were for 20K. That sale was one of the highest i've heard of, but it's not uncommon to hear about 12k to 14k sales in all corners of our great state. and your right, these guys are paying cash, CASH. I know of some guys that are still sitting on last years beans. These farmers are holding a bank roll like you wouldn't believe. their biggest concern is what tropical island they will visit this winter.:p

As long as land sells for record prices it will continue. An 80 sold NW of Storm Lake a couple of weeks ago for $20,990/acre. $ 14,000 seems to be the norm.

That has to be the record price per acre in the country for farmground! The year before Farm and Ranch newsletter reported $13,000 an acre as a record. Lets leave Hawaii out of this. I'm glad I bought what I have when I did, only regret was I wish I could have bought more.

Getting letters from from real estate company letting me know they will b more than happy to list my land. Yeah right

A few more mild winters and our pheasants should rebound a bit. Maybe a little bit better in the area I live in NW IA, as my plans to make habitat suitable for them!

Don't give up guys! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?

Don't give up guys!

I agree Nick C (besides the German's bombing P.H.. lol).

Something will eventually change and things will move in the direction of getting better. Not sure about the how, when, where, or why's of the matter though.:confused:

In the mean time, it's difficult witnessing what's happening. At times heartbreaking.:(

Getting letters from from real estate company letting me know they will b more than happy to list my land. Yeah right

Let us know if you get to the point where you may give in so we can talk some sense into you:D.

As the saying goes "every man has his price". I suppose you never know.:rolleyes:

Stay strong. lol

P.S.--I saw a nice rooster run across the road near you (IL location not Iowa) about two weeks ago. I went for the camera but he was boogieing:eek:. A nice healthy rooster!

Let us know if you get to the point where you may give in so we can talk some sense into you:D.

As the saying goes "every man has his price". I suppose you never know.:rolleyes:

Stay strong. lol

P.S.--I saw a nice rooster run across the road near you (IL location not Iowa) about two weeks ago. I went for the camera but he was boogieing:eek:. A nice healthy rooster!
Took dogs for walk on county ground along county line Monday, heard 4, kicked up 2, 1 woodcock, and found small 3 pt shed. Nice to get out.
Take quite a bit with the oppurtunity to replace it with something else, landwise. Too many good times and memeories have happened there, and I am sentimental.

Back