Gun Recommendation

BritChaser

A friend is getting into bird hunting and has made up his mind to get a new 12 ga. gun. He is a smallish guy, marathon runner type. What manufacturers are making guns with shorter pulls? He's looking for a production gun, not a custom. Thanks all.

Benelli makes the Montfeltro with a youth stock...may be the way to go. If not any good gunsmith can cut one down. As for other brands...I'm not going there; I'm sure that discussion will get started soon. I can't shoot a Benelli to save my life; just saying, they have a smaller option.

If your friend wants the least amount of recoil/kick, I would steer him to a gas operated gun. And install a Kick-eze or other recoil altering pad.

Would agree, rear stocks can be altered - even do it yourself if you're handy. Mark: send him to Minneapolis and we'll really get into gun alteration! See you in October?

Last edited:
The franchi affinity can be purchased with a short stock that comes with 1/4" spacers specially designed to extend the stock all the way back out to 14". This would leave him with plenty of easy adjustable flexibility.

If looking for a gas gun here are a few options. You can adjust the LOP from 12 - 14 inches and the comb height.

CZ 712 ALS ( Adjustable Length Stock) 12ga/26 inch ,or 28 inch barrel
CZ 720 ALS 20ga/ 24 inch barrel

PM me if you need further info.

Thanks,
Kick'em Up!

I would think to start him with a youth model. They can be found used and he can try and see what works for him.

The suggestion on the CZ's sounds good. CZ may make inexpensive, but never junk. CZ is good stuff.

Also, cutting down a stock isn't a big expensive deal.

If he's serious and patient. Read the book: Stock Fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald. It teaches you much. Getting hit in the cheek bone isn't necessary with shotguns.

The franchi affinity can be purchased with a short stock that comes with 1/4" spacers specially designed to extend the stock all the way back out to 14". This would leave him with plenty of easy adjustable flexibility.

I agree that this is your best bet. I have the Affinity in both 12 and 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels and this model has put a few Brownings and Remingtons back into my gun safe. The short stock model with spacers is an excellent option.

I love my Franchi affinity. it's very versatile and customizable right out of the box. I'm a very large frame guy and I can handle it without problem. I also had my sister-in-law shoot it, who is quite a bit smaller than I am, and she did quite well with it as well. as others have said on this thread, it comes with stock adjuster so you can make it fit just right.

he needs a .20 ga. O/U or pump, he doesn't need a .12 unless he is going to waterfowl hunt....he will shoot the .20 better due to reduced recoil......:)

If I were his friend, I'd take him to a gun store with a gunsmith/fitter onsite. I think the OP said he was smallish. He didn't say he was a midget. I would not assume a youth gun would be a better fit than a trimmed and drop/cast/pitch adjusted adult gun.

While I totally agree a 20 ga is more than adequate for any upland bird hunted in the continent, I would defer to the buyers choice on that. But I'm prejudiced to small bores. I hunt everything from quail to pheasant with a 410. Some people feel the need for a magnum 12 ga shell on pheasant. That's their choice. I just don't want a detached retina or arthritic shoulder.

Back