Gun Dogs

Tony is great at; Finding Birds, Good Steady Points. But the biggest one is he tries to tell me where the bird exactly is with his nose and eyes. One real big fault, It is partially my fault. I had him neutered to young. He is a big dog for a Brittany and he is very susceptible to heat. So he tires quickly in the heat of early season. Even though he is run daily and not out of condition.---Bob

Those Spaniels are bird finders, aren't they? I would say my Spaniel's biggest strength is heart. There's no quit in her. Ironically, this also plays into her Achilles Heel -- competitiveness. She tends to get rangey when hunting with other dogs.

Those Spaniels are bird finders, aren't they? I would say my Spaniel's biggest strength is heart. There's no quit in her. Ironically, this also plays into her Achilles Heel -- competitiveness. She tends to get rangey when hunting with other dogs.

The same could be said for my Britts. They have more heart than any other breed I've hunted behind. Their range is fine when hunting alone, but they do tend to range more when they're with other dogs.

I would say that my dogs three are bird finding ability, his drive and his retrieving. It is fun to hunt with a dog that just loves to hunt and can go all day long.

yep britts do have a lot of heart but so do the other breeds my britts have a hard time determining if i am serious about quiting time at night. that is the only time that they really give me any problems when it comes to listening

pointers are a real treat to hunt over, they are a no nonsense hunting dog . but like all other breeds their are good ones and badones any time u make it out here look me up and we will go:thumbsup:

Desire, Toughness, and Stamina. My GSP's get excited when I go in the office; it's where the safe is and they know that a shotgun has to be in there. Oop's I mean home office...

Last edited:
1) Desire (The obsession, ability and strength to hunt and locate game days on end without regard to terrain, tempature, cuts other obstacles and pain, be it on the gound or water. )

2) Cooperation (Easily trained and sociable with humans and other dogs while maintaining their desire. Smart.)

3) Nose. (The ability to locate, find and track game.)

For all these merits, two achilles heels. (Hey, they got 4 legs!)
1) Hatred of fur--varmits and cats.

2) Tend to eat a lot of stuff I wouldn't!
________
ESSENTIAL VAAAPP VAPORIZER

Last edited:
Ruby's best traits IMO are:
1) Her intelligence and desire to please me in general, which translates into a great ability to learn new tasks and commands
2) Her balance between field/hunt energy and drive but a pleasant house pet as well.
3) Her natural desire and ability to find and flush or retrieve game birds.

Her short-comings (which are really MY short-comings as a trainer in a way):
1) Her "situational deafness" when on the trail of a running pheasant - her nose and legs go into overdrive but her ears stop working :rolleyes:
2) Her tendency to stop quartering or working heavy cover when she's tired and hot. I have to frequently cast her into cover or tell her to "come around" repeatedly. SHe does this great when she's fresh, or if there is lots of scent around, or if it's cold out, but in warmer weather or low-bird density she tends to decide "Oh screw it - I'm just out for a walk!"
3) Her room-clearing flatulence :eek:

-Croc

Toad I totally agree with your statement, "I am the Achilles heel." I very often feel I hamper Tony. He is working hard and I have to "Whoa" him. Simply because I just cannot keep up with at times. Yes, that makes me the Achilles heel in no uncertain terms.---Bob

Back