GSP Impalled by Tree Branch

parkerman

I was hunting last week with some friends in a shelterbelt when we hit a rooster and my 6yr old GSP pursued. When he got about 30 yards out I heard several sharp yelps and when we got to him we saw that he had run full speed into a tree branch. The 1 1/2" branch had impalled directly into his chest, just below the throat and extended in around 4". I thought he was going to bleed out on the spot, but fortunately it missed his aorta. Getting him to a vet was a nightmare, but we got him to All City Pet Care in Sioux Falls. His one lung was collapsed as the branch had pierced into his chest cavity and the external air had introduced pressure on his lungs. Long story short, after putting in a chest tube they were able to clean and sew him up the next day, and then 3 days later I was able to bring him home. He's done for the season but should recover 100%. A freak accident, but with the tall grass and downed trees in shelterbelts, you'd think this type of thing would happen more often.

I was hunting last week with some friends in a shelterbelt when we hit a rooster and my 6yr old GSP pursued. When he got about 30 yards out I heard several sharp yelps and when we got to him we saw that he had run full speed into a tree branch. The 1 1/2" branch had impalled directly into his chest, just below the throat and extended in around 4". I thought he was going to bleed out on the spot, but fortunately it missed his aorta. Getting him to a vet was a nightmare, but we got him to All City Pet Care in Sioux Falls. His one lung was collapsed as the branch had pierced into his chest cavity and the external air had introduced pressure on his lungs. Long story short, after putting in a chest tube they were able to clean and sew him up the next day, and then 3 days later I was able to bring him home. He's done for the season but should recover 100%. A freak accident, but with the tall grass and downed trees in shelterbelts, you'd think this type of thing would happen more often.

What a freak accident and a lucky break.

Sorry to here that, glad he will get better for you.
Last fall I went hunting with TOlzen a UPH'er, and Odie my male hit a beaver stick, a chewed off tree about 2" in diameter. It was solid and stood about 18" high.He hit wide open 1/4ing and it stoped him dead. Basically knocked him out and took his wind. I thought he was dieing as he fell over and just laid there gasping. But after a 5 minute rest he got up on his own and was able to walk back to the car. He wanted to hunt but was way to sore and banged up to. So we put him away and he made a full recovery. He was sore for quite a while. So now I avoid all areas with beaver and especially that spot with a hard charging dog. Lucky the tree was not at an angel cause it had a sharp point. They were all over after I looked around.

Just wondering if he had on a chest protector vest? Our GSP female was working hard in dense brush and sticker bushes and if she had not had her vest on she probablyy would have had a very deep puncture wound in her lower chest. The best to your hunting buddy/pooch - we have had the same thing happen on a training day many years ago with a very muscular GSP male and the vet said if he had not had such muscling in his chest the piece of tree would have entered his heart (it was one inch away). He made it fine. Again, all the best to the hard working pooch.

My GSP had the same thing happen to him a few years ago. His accident wasn't nearly as severe but it scared the heck out of me. I'm glad that he is recovering and will be joining you in the field again!

Glad to hear that he will be ok. I bet it costed you a pretty penny, too.

I am surprised that suff like this does not happen way more often. I also wonder how all these bird dogs aren't walking around with one eye.

Glad to hear that he will be ok. I bet it costed you a pretty penny, too.

I am surprised that suff like this does not happen way more often. I also wonder how all these bird dogs aren't walking around with one eye.
hope your dogs fine.

It happens up here in the woods grouse hunting allot. In sept. my Setter was running up a hill in the woods I heard a yelp and he runs back with blood shooting out his mouth. We ran back to the truck about 1/2 mile and I put him on the tailgate to get a better look and spray him with EMT gel, I had left at the truck. I couldn't really see the cut, but sprayed his tongue and under it with EMT gel and got to the vet quickly {luckily he hadn't left yet}. He knocked him out and put 15 stitches under his tongue and sent me to an emergency vet to see if he needed a transfusion. He was red everywhere but his ass, the vet said the EMT gel might have saved him, I'll never forget to take it again, put it in each vest.

oh geez. Glad to hear dog's going to recover well from that one. phew.

I brought the pup home with a cut between her eyes. a couple of ticks, and a cut paw. The wife just gave me those eyes, "is THAT all?!" If I brought the dog home on a skewer, or didn't for that matter, I'd be cooked.

It really is amazing more of this stuff doesn't happen. BUT, from a few of your stories, it seems like plenty does. Be safe out there.

so fenway does that emt only come in a spray or is ther a gel and is the spray the best one to have? and where do you get it?

so fenway does that emt only come in a spray or is ther a gel and is the spray the best one to have? and where do you get it?

You can get it almost anywhere they sell pet supplies, or hunting stuff,Gander Cabela's, maybe even Wal-mart.
I have both but I was glad I had the spray when I had to get it in his mouth.

http://emtgel.com/

I had the same thing happen in the late 80's to a Lab I owned at the time. I never heard him yelp or anything. He came back towards me and was standing there with a stream of blood coming from is chest. I got him outside the tree grove, laid him down with the injured side down (my medic training in the Army came in handy), placed my glove over the wound and applied pressure. I had my step-son with me and I had him keep the pressure on while I got the vehicle. The dog was already in shock. We were 25 miles from Aberdeen and no cell phones at the time. I stopped in a small town and called my wife to have her contact the vet. It was a long ride even though my speeds were far in excess of the speed limit. The first day at the vet's was touch and go but he pulled through. If he hadn't been such a strong and fit dog he would never of made it. Two weeks later he was back in the field on a limited basis.

Back