GSP bumping birds

Elksniper

This probably belongs in the bird dog forum but I figured it would get more visibility in the pheasant hunting forum. I have a GSP that is in his 3rd season now. I have hunted a lot of wild pheasants with him and some put and take pre-released state birds. He has always done a lot foot scent tracking and will often run into the birds and flush them without a point. Many times he is tracking so intensely he doesn’t even notice the bird flush. If he hits the air scent, he is very steady and only on a handful of occasions has he broke point and tried to pounce at the bird. He is woah trained and I stop him at every bump and wild flush and don’t shoot any of these birds. I keep thinking he’ll grow out of it, but he’s had hundreds of bird contacts now and he still bumps a lot of birds. I’ve kept a log this year and he handles about 50% of the bird contacts properly. He has incredible drive and finds a ton of birds, but it also incredibly frustrating to watch roosters fly away. Anyone have experience with a dog like this or any advice on a fix?

Not a dog trainer, but I would try to hunt closer to him and make it a non-issue. I just need my dog to help me get my birds twice a week (3 times this week) and if that happens, I am happy, we aren't out there to impress anyone, just having fun! I know that everyone has different expectations from their dog.

Not a dog trainer so take it for what it’s worth.
I hunt a gsp on hard hunted wild public land roosters. IMHO they are the toughest bird for a pointer to learn. They don’t play fair. One comment you made stood out to me in your question, you said he doesn’t even notice that the bird flushed. How far away is he from the bird when it flushes? If he’s putting them up off his nose ( he should notice them) he needs to more work in the training field. If they are flushing twenty yards off his nose it would be hard for me to blame the dog.
Like remy said hunt closer or when he starts trailing whoa him and get close to him and stay close as he works the trail.

In the early days, some short hairs and wire hairs hunted ground sent. I always suspected it was because they were bred for versatility including tracking In Germany, so some dogs naturally tracked more than others. Unfortunately, I could never figure out how to overcome it. I've had three wires that hunted like that. One wound up being one of my all-time favorite dogs (not best, favorite). She also pointed about 50% but very close hunting. She would point every time if she didn't track into them. The other two I didn't keep. The only advice I can give you is try and train him to stop when he smells sent, then relocate him until you get to the birds. Or keep him close like remy says.

Not a dog trainer so take it for what it’s worth.
I hunt a gsp on hard hunted wild public land roosters. IMHO they are the toughest bird for a pointer to learn. They don’t play fair. One comment you made stood out to me in your question, you said he doesn’t even notice that the bird flushed. How far away is he from the bird when it flushes? If he’s putting them up off his nose ( he should notice them) he needs to more work in the training field. If they are flushing twenty yards off his nose it would be hard for me to blame the dog.
Like remy said hunt closer or when he starts trailing whoa him and get close to him and stay close as he works the trail.
If I remember correctly a hound was incorporated into creating the breed. Shnitzelhound?? Maybe they are genetic throwbacks. I know that doesn't help you. Just a thought.

Not a dog trainer, but I would try to hunt closer to him and make it a non-issue. I just need my dog to help me get my birds twice a week (3 times this week) and if that happens, I am happy, we aren't out there to impress anyone, just having fun! I know that everyone has different expectations from their dog.

I agree wholeheartedly. My dogs are meat dogs. We are out there to have fun and harvest some birds if possible. I don’t worry too much about them being perfect

I agree wholeheartedly. My dogs are meat dogs. We are out there to have fun and harvest some birds if possible. I don’t worry too much about them being perfect
Yup, keep him close and tell everybody he's half cocker spaniel and a third golden! If you can keep him in you'll probably kill more birds than most.

Thanks for the replies. Hunt1, when he doesn’t notice the bird flushing it’s usually in pretty heavy cover like cattails. He doesn’t have a cautious bone in his body so when he loses the trail he’ll be rooting around in there too aggressively and eventually the bird pops. We get enough wild flushes too, but the majority of the time it’s pressure from him that flushes the bird. I am starting to think that’s just going to be part of the way he hunts and I’ll have to live with it.

Elksniper, my older britt does the same on birds that are running. She will slow down to a walking jog if you will and that allows me to close the gap. Once i get to her i slow my pace and let her do her thing. She will point if birds allow, but many flush will within range.

Back