Grouse hunting cover

Hosk13f

Starting on grouse this year, I've been scouting on Onx and looking for covers. How old is too old for a clear cut, and are oaks good cover or should I look for poplar, oaks are definitely dominant in my area but I am willing to look further. Thanks in advance for any help

Starting on grouse this year, I've been scouting on Onx and looking for covers. How old is too old for a clear cut, and are oaks good cover or should I look for poplar, oaks are definitely dominant in my area but I am willing to look further. Thanks in advance for any help
When you say "grouse" what species are you referring to? Since you are referencing trees I am going to assume Ruffed Grouse?

No expert, but I’ve flushed them in oaks lots…food source. I think great grouse cover consists of popples that are wrist, bicep, maybe calf diameter…near other stands that may be older, more diverse…water nearby always a plus. I’m no expert! Just visualizing where I’ve had hundreds and hundreds of contacts…definite non-expert here! I walk non-ATV Snowmobile trails…clover present usually…late afternoon….scared of getting lost…🫣

BB, It is very easy to get lost on the great northern woods. Ask me how I know. Typically you look for Aspens 7-15 years old, hopefully with ferns on the ground. Typically no more than about 2-3" in diameter. It also helps to have conifers mixed in with the Aspens.

Look for areas that when you see them you think to yourself "I sure would hate to have to walk through that'' , Then walk through it.
Also look for wild grape vine , buds , or other food sources. Be prepared to bleed.

Yes ruffed grouse, sorry for the confusion
As some have mentioned look for dense stands of young trees 7 to 20 years with some ground cover. Work the transition zones between one forest type and another, say lowland conifers and upland stands. Look for food sources such as crabapples, gray dogwood and other mast producing trees including oaks. If you have an oak stand with a heavy sapling understory those are great as well. Aspen or poplar is the preferred trees, however, density of trees is very important. If the day is hot look to hunt lower ground that balsam and tag alders grow, if wet and windy look for more of a conifer component.

Back