Grouse And Hun Opener 2023

gjw

Hey all, opening day today. Rained in the morning so we hunted after it quit.

I managed a limit, son Jim did not fair well. Our 11 year old GSP Raina did very well. You'd never know that she's that old

Didn't see a lot, but they are a funny bird. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Used my 16b John Wilkes today

Best Regards

Greg

Attachments

• 20230909_161222.jpg
    20230909_161222.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Hey all, my son Jim and I went out after Mass today. We each managed one. Didn't see a lot. A couple areas we hunt still have standing crops by the good prairie areas, so....guess where hanging out.

Took Addie out, she did very well.

Anyway I used my 16b Charles Boswell

Best Regards

Greg

Attachments

• 20230910_141827.jpg
    20230910_141827.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
I’ve heard good reports overall, we’ve been doing pretty well, as are most of the hunters we’ve talked to…standing crops do pose a challenge. 2 of mine today came on the edge of Canola, one was actually about 10’ within while I walked the edge.

Returned Tuesday from trip 2…most days average 16,000 steps, 2 of the 5 days were over 22,000….gorgeous country! Making grouse poppers as we speak…bringing some to my gunsmith, he’s putting a recoil pad on my new (to me) BL 4 20 gauge…5 lb, 14 oz…anxious to use it! 11 days of hunting, saw 1 hunter on the ground…did see some trucks parked here or there…pretty sweet! Ruffed grouse around MN are next…they’re pretty safe!😁

Headed to the prairies next week. Will not bother the "chickens" (sharptails). But Huns are #1 public enemy. I'm up to the challenge of Huns on the prairie wind. When Ruffed grouse numbers are elevated, a consistent bag is very doable as you can find them in marginal cover that provides some semi open shooting. You are right Gimruis, need some cooler temps and some leaf loss to be successful. It's coming.
We all will see only so many Octobers, enjoy the bounty.

Returned Tuesday from trip 2…most days average 16,000 steps, 2 of the 5 days were over 22,000….gorgeous country! Making grouse poppers as we speak…bringing some to my gunsmith, he’s putting a recoil pad on my new (to me) BL 4 20 gauge…5 lb, 14 oz…anxious to use it! 11 days of hunting, saw 1 hunter on the ground…did see some trucks parked here or there…pretty sweet! Ruffed grouse around MN are next…they’re pretty safe!😁
Other plans fell thru so looks like Im heading that way Sunday on a solo trip. Looking forward to seeing new country. Taking my 3 yr old DD and his 7 month old son so should be a learning experience.

Had a great morning in North Dakota. Dogs and my feet are all ready for a break but can't complain about the views and the bird numbers

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_125357.jpg
    IMG_20231004_125357.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
Back