Greetings from IA!

IOWA_Tallgrass

Hello All!

Been lurking on the site the last week and decided to take the plunge and sign-up to join the party. Seems like a really good bunch of ppl on here. I re-located my family to the midwest 7 years ago from the east coast and really enjoy it very much. Until recently, we had some great pheasant hunting here in Iowa, but as most are aware, we have lost much due to a bittersweet marriage of horrible weather and extreme loss of habitat the last 3-4 years. Between the flooding in the spring, the deep snows, and CRP getting plowed up, its a sad deal.

I'm originally from the east coast (western PA area) where I first got the bird hunting bug hunting woodcock and grouse. To date, I have been privledged to have hunted ruffed grouse and woodcock in 6 states. Each year since moving out here, I have made a successful DIY trip to northern WI to hunt grouse and woodcock; be happy to offer some pointers to anyone interested in heading that way. We just were up there about a month ago and had a blast.

Back in the day (7-8 years ago) I used to chatter a whole lot on other online bird hunting forums when I was cutting my teeth, not so much anymore, usually way too busy with the daily life of being a family man helping my wife raise our 4 boys-so I won't be posting a whole lot. My oldest son is 11 and he will be joining me on some hunts this year.

I hunt behind a an awesome setter that is 9 years young, but he is showing signs of starting to slow down, a sad thing to watch. Will probably be looking for a new pup this winter/spring and am thinking about switching maybe to a flushing dog; so if that comes to pass expect some questions.:eek:

Right now, depending on how much money is left in my slush fund, debating on making a trip to some place that has pheasants, probably KS or SD-leaning more towards KS.

Well, that's a little about me, thanks for letting me be a part of this community. :cheers:

Regards,

Joe

Welcome to the UPH community. We have a good group here that love a good topic. So help us come up with some..........Bob

Joe - Welcome to the site. Really good group of guys here and hope to see you on here joining in the talk. Bet you can't wait to spend some time with your boys in the field. Best of luck this year.

Matt D

Joe - Welcome to the site. Really good group of guys here and hope to see you on here joining in the talk. Bet you can't wait to spend some time with your boys in the field. Best of luck this year.

Matt D

Amen to that, I tell ya, I took my oldest son up north with me this year to hunt grouse and fish for musky and we had a blast. In a strange way, it was a little sad too. My son was a real helper, helped me back the trailer, launch the boat, clean up supper in the cabin; all that made me realize he was really growing up fast-that part made me a little sad-if you guys know what I mean. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Welcome to the site Joe from the Quad Cities IL. side :cheers:

Welcome to the site from central Iowa. I say central because I hunt anywhere from Osceola to about 15 minutes away from the Iowa/Minnesota border near the I-35 area.

Welcome, and you do still have good hunting in IA you just need to look else where in Iowa. Good luck:thumbsup:

I know, I know...I usually head to the NC or NW counties for a couple of hunts every season.:cool: Usually always find plenty of birds and my sources who have been up there yet this season tell me that one can still have a decent hunt in those locales.

Its just sad to think that just 5 years ago, I could walk the fencerow behind my acreage here ust 15 minutes from Cedar Rapids and flush some birds. That, for the time being, seems to be a thing of the past. :(

There is a handsome, long-tailed king-black thorny spurs and all-mounted on the wall that is a reminder of happier times here in east-central IA. Shot him on a snowy day back in '05 behind the house on the edge of an unpicked cornfield. A :cheers: to better days in the eastern part of IA...

Regards,

Joe

Last edited:
Hello All!

Been lurking on the site the last week and decided to take the plunge and sign-up to join the party.

Well, that's a little about me, thanks for letting me be a part of this community.

Joe

Atta boy Joe. Thanks for joining :thumbsup:

Back