Great shots

BrownDogsCan2

This is probably going to jinx me but I’ve been on them like Ted Williams lately. 😆 focused.. yesterday I brought home 3 birds with 4 shells. May be the most focused I’ve ever been. The last 2 Not a true double but both birds in the air . The first bird was the long bird I took the shot he was going down but still upright so I hit him again. I switched my attention to the second bird which was now at about 35 and brought him down. I had a good visual on both of them and pickups were a piece of cake.
Let’s here about some.

After really being on a tear, the last couple weekends have been a struggle. A few misses. Ace has had to work much harder than usual to recover weakly hit birds. Frustrating. We've actually had 2 birds fly a 2nd time. In each case the 2nd flush was too far away for me to put more pellets in the bird. Luckily they couldn't fly more than 100 yds or so, & Ace didn't let either of them fly a 3rd time. I hadn't had that horse shit happen in a really long time. We haven't lost any yet, but if I don't turn things around, we will.

The cover I am usually in spells disaster when I put a second bird down, before locating the first one. I haven't been stacking them up like a year ago, but am on pace for a good season. I haven't been skunked yet but haven't brought a limit home every outing. Lots of birds around, helps out when you miss a couple.

The cover I am usually in spells disaster when I put a second bird down, before locating the first one. I haven't been stacking them up like a year ago, but am on pace for a good season. I haven't been skunked yet but haven't brought a limit home every outing. Lots of birds around, helps out when you miss a couple.
Oh I hear you I wouldn’t do it in front of my Boykin very often. My peakes pretty honest and can be counted on to pick up the first if I concentrate on the second. Yesterday it was with my Boykin but I had good marks on both of them.

My first trip out I was shooting lights out killed 9 of the first 11 birds with reasonable shots only shooting 14 times, last day out went thru a box of shells before I dropped my first bird. Took these three with four shots with a true double. I know I have just jinx myself for my trip in a couple of weeks, so i blame you now BrownDog! :rolleyes:

I haven't hit a serious slump yet this fall. But that day is coming. You shoot your way into a slump and you have to shoot your way out.

I had one far shot this year (50+) that required some dog power to get the bird in the vest. Otherwise, I've gotten better over the years about not sprayin' and prayin'.

Last edited:
Bought a full choke barrel with a split in the end. Had my gunsmith cut the split off and re-beaded. It wound up being a light modified. Didn't know until years later that it wasn't supposed to interchange with the full choke barrel on my 1937 Ithaca 37. Went 13 straight roosters in Iowa one year including a true double. Still have it. Serial # 750. Many toms met their fate in front of it. A fine gun. My two worse days of the season without fail are the 1st day and the last. Somehow those days get in my head! I've had some very bad days that I'd really rather not like to talk about!!

Opening day I got my 3 birds with 4 shots, one of them I put a second shot into as it was falling into the cover. Ended the weekend with 5 birds on 8 shots. The two misses came on a distant bird that got up as I was regaining balance from catching a foot in the weeds. That will probably jinx me on our upcoming trip. The old 16SxS will get more clay shooting before we leave

I started my season out really good shooting wise. I was getting most birds, although often it took the 2nd barrel. Last weekend my shooting was bad. I missed 2 that were not tough shots and a 3rd that was out about 45 yards. I know the one layup I missed my gun mount was bad, it seemed the butt pad slipped down on my shoulder and probably I shot over him as my cheek wasn't down on the comb. I knew it as it happened so I took my time, recomposed, and was careful with the 2nd shot but still missed. But that day wasn't a total loss because I did get a nice rooster with a single shot, so that kind of made the weekend for me.

I once killed a rooster at about 60 (paces) yards moving hard left to right. I took the shot because we were hunting along a very, very large lake ... if hit ... the bird was going to land in the water or along the extended open bank (beach line) since the water level was low. Killed it dead. Landed on the "beach" with the tail feathers sticking straight up in the air.

I would not have taken that shot in heavier cover or near cattails.

I once killed a rooster at about 60 (paces) yards moving hard left to right. I took the shot because we were hunting along a very, very large lake ... if hit ... the bird was going to land in the water or along the extended open bank (beach line) since the water level was low. Killed it dead. Landed on the "beach" with the tail feathers sticking straight up in the air.

I would not have taken that shot in heavier cover or near cattails.
When I was in college (late 80's) I was hunting a lot in Kansas. I once shot a limit of quail (8) with eight shells.

Started the season hot.Started using different guns.Had my usual mid season slump.Snapped out of it with a true double.First one in at least 20 years. Last week getting hot with the new 28, and the 11-87 as the old stand by. Probably take the sweet out again,such a cool gun.The 28 is a bit underpowered for these December roosters,but I love the weight, and chicks dig it.

I bet we can get you in the new Filson catalog if you get your picture made carrying an Italian 28 out in the field up on the highline.
Maybe I belong at one of the 1000 dollar a day,Gucci lodges in south Dakota, hanging out with those executives from New York...lol

Started the season hot.Started using different guns.Had my usual mid season slump.Snapped out of it with a true double.First one in at least 20 years. Last week getting hot with the new 28, and the 11-87 as the old stand by. Probably take the sweet out again,such a cool gun.The 28 is a bit underpowered for these December roosters,but I love the weight, and chicks dig it.
Ha ha chicks dig it , it’s not about the size of the barrel it’s the payload brother🤣

Took my 28 on a little combo hunt once. Parked at my dove hunting spot before daylight. Hit the woods next to my spot and shot 5 squirrels. Came back to the truck and cleaned them. Then grabbed my bucket and hit the field. Limited out, had the 12 doves cleaned and was heading home at 11:00. On the way home I was thinking that I shot exceptionally well that day. I always keep my 28 hauls in case I decide to reload, so counted them when I was home. I never missed a shot.

Back