Great Day!

vrepola

It didn't start out good as I forgot to plug my phone in last night so no alarm this morning. Woke up and it was 8:45am! Crap, I throw my gear in the truck and load the dogs. Head out of town and drive toward the first WIHA I wanted to hunt. Two trucks so I head for the next, dang another truck. Ok, we are going to drive to a area I hunted a couple days ago where I saw a few birds but they flushed way out. Here is where the great part starts.

As I pull up to the WIHA 3 hens fly into the CRP right in front of me. I park the truck and unload my shorthair Ty, 2 minutes later he is locked up and a rooster busts out I connect on a left to right shot. On the shot 4 hens and 1 rooster blow out 60 yards ahead. Ty made a great retrieve in some tall CRP. We walk back to the truck and load up headed for the side of the WIHA I wanted to hunt. Ty and I unload and start for a weedy fence row down some stubble. Not 50 yards into the walk 6 hens and a rooster flush wild in front of us. I figured it was going to be just like the past 3 days and lots of spooky birds and runners. Well I was wrong. Ty locks up on point out in the stubble and I walk in and a rooster goes to my right. Ty made another good retrieve. As soon as I have the bird in hand Ty gets birdy in a draw not thirty yards away. He tracks the bird for 100 yards or so and looses the scent. Back to the fence row and follow it to the end with nothing else seen. We worked up another draw that lead toward the first draw, nothing. We enter the first draw from the opposite end and 40 yards in TY gets birdy. He swings out wide and runs out about 100 yards and turns back toward me to get the wind in his favor. It worked, he comes back 30 yards and locks up. Rooster 3 is in the bag. By this time I'm fired up, but more proud of Ty for his great work. We walk back to the fence row and turn back toward the truck. We make it about 50 yards and he is on point again. This time two quail hold until I almost step on them. They got a pass because if its the covey I saw the other day its small. We continue toward the truck to head for another patch but before we make it 75 yards Ty is on point again. I figure another quail and walk in to flush and rooster 4 comes out. I got so excited I hit him with a load of 5's way to soon. Ty goes and gets the limit bird!

I can tell you after 3 days of wild flushes and hen points it was great to get some birds for Ty. Only problem was my other dog Jack found two more roosters later on a different spot and looked at me funny when I just them fly. Was trying to find quail but no luck there. Sorry for the long post but wanted to share there are birds out there its just a lot of work to find the right area. I will try and post pics

Last edited:
Sounds like a heck of a day. I deserve that look all too often and not always for a limit already hitting me in the back.

Heck of a late morning start! Good things come to those who put in the extra time.

Still waiting here though. No luck on the phez this year.

Pics

Here we go. Ty was not having a photo session today but I will add a pic of him on quail in Texas.

image_3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Is that the fence row the birds came from?

No that was at a different spot I stopped to look for quail. Don't want to post pics of a honey whole:D. The fence row had weeds taller than me and was pretty wide. Wheat stubble on the private side and good milo stubble on the WIHA side.

Good day for sure! That pic looks like the majority of fence rows in the North Central Kansas area these days.

Well today was not as good but not bad either. I had 3 roosters pointed and 2 in the bag. Saw 30+ pheasant today. Way more hens than roosters, but that's a good thing for the future. Most birds flushed way out in front.

Back