GPS Are you using one on your dogs?

Having hunted with and without the Astro, I will say (IMO) that nobody "needs" it. But it is a very nice and handy tool, and gives me peace of mind while I'm hunting. Especially with the pup I got this year. She is going to be small, even for a britt, and can disappear in seconds. In the past, I have felt anxious when I lost sight of a dog for an extended amount of time (hence the Astro purchase), but now I don't worry about it. A quick check of the screen and I know she's right where she is supposed to be and I can continue hunting uninterrupted.

I use it. I don't put dogs down on the ground without it. Even if I'm just free running the dogs, which I do almost every day, there isn't a reason why I WOULDN'T put one down.

I had a dog run into a snake and this helped me get to the dog immediately, 400 yards away.
I had a dog lose track of me and get on someone else's property and thus I was able to find the dog. If I didn't have that Garmin, I'd still be looking for that dog.
But let's look at trials. The last trial I ran Riley in, he was lost at about fifteen minutes in. After the brace, I pulled out the Garmin, and walked back to find him standing on point. 800 yards away. The bird was still there and so was he. This was probably after 35 minutes of standing.
I can't even imagine thinking what would have happened without that Garmin. I can't call him off the bird. So, then what happens? We look for a really long time, and maybe not find him. Because when we found him he was absolutely buried in brush.
The dogs are trained to stand birds. They are trained to stop to flush. When the bird flies they stop.
There have been times when I was hunting and I could see Riley standing a pheasant in heavy CRP cover. No way I find him with out it. I lose him and maybe try to call him in.

Or sometimes they get into stuff like this.

Another thing is that if you are on a multi-day hunt, then you can monitor the miles they have traveled too.
It has nothing to do with handle, I can handle my dogs very easily, really.
Just piece of mind.
Knowing what my dogs are doing and where they are doing it is huge piece of mind.

wow- interesting posts

I've lost a Brittany a few times- before the Garmin- because they would hold point

I let mine run here without the Garmin- why- because they stay inside 1/4 mile of me- and it's pretty open- for sure there are times I swatted myself for not having the Garmin on

I can hunt one without the Garmin- can't hunt 2 or three without the Garmin- why- because with just one in this open country I know it'll be within 1/4 mile and by me keeping track and hustling it's not to hard

2 or as I've come to love it-3- no way- three at different directions on point within a 1/4 mile-

not using a Garmin or similiar and you have 2 or more that don't run the same patterns and get "out there" would sure seem to mean you are in trouble- course- most would probably not think so as the dogs don't really hold point or they stick together

I hunted lots of different area/states some time back with only 2 and no Garmin- why- because one would be out there, but still within a quarter mile- one would be inside 250 yards- excellent patterns as short and big runner (big meaning in terms of really covering ground but not coming in close)
yep- I'd lose the larger running dog quite a bit- one point- but it was no big deal to keep an eye and follow the other one till we located the one on point

I always wonder about the guy with 2 or more pointing dogs down all the time and not having a Garmin or such- do they get out there- do they hold point- do they keep together- do they want to know where the other dog is

wow- interesting posts

I always wonder about the guy with 2 or more pointing dogs down all the time and not having a Garmin or such- do they get out there- do they hold point- do they keep together- do they want to know where the other dog is

Shadow,
I will make a point this year to link up with you for an afternoon if you want. I have no personal issues against using GPS. I can see where it could be handy at times; I just have not seen the need for it. Our grand parents sure did not have access to this technology, but they still hunted and got there share of birds for the table. With your four dogs and my five dogs I will guarantee the dogs will hold the point until our arrival. I figure if I can convince you that my pack of dogs can hunt without GPS, then I will have accomplished something.

picture.php

picture.php

I was thinking I'd hear from you- we'll have to connect up this fall- you don't have to worry about any convincing-

6hourhunt007.jpg

Last edited:
Back