GPS Are you using one on your dogs?

GPS units for the dogs are using one on your dog and if so where does it come in handy?

It just seems to be all the rage in the Michigan Grouse covers for both pointing and flushing dogs. I'm not up to speed on how it helps,just looking for some insights?
I've always thought training help keep dogs from getting lost???

It is a wonderful tool. You can keep track of your dog's mileage and speed as well as your own.

It is nice in heavy cover or in open cover with a big running dog. For a young dog it is even more useful.

It just seems to be all the rage in the Michigan Grouse covers for both pointing and flushing dogs. I'm not up to speed on how it helps,just looking for some insights?
I've always thought training help keep dogs from getting lost???

Michigan flushers, eh?
The last such line in these posts always makes me wonder about large wooden spoons.

If an Astro-type unit is what you mean, then it is more, of course, than a device to find a lost dog.
And, also of course, dogs become lost or seperated for more reasons than lack of training.
Rather than explain, a simple search will turn up oddles of info on the subject, on this board or any number of others if interest is truely present.
Info detailing all of the plusses and minuses inherent in the tool.

Thanks folks for the views and insights. I be doubting I'll be giving up my brass bells any time soon.
I do know my spaniels just donot have long enough necks to hang all that stuff on in the first place.
Stubby neck english dogs any ways
Thanks I enjoy the research

In the Apps or U.P., I use a bell along with the Astro...the instant notice is a fine way to go in the grouse woods.

Most dogs can handle one collar...most, anyway.

since they came out I can't seem to come up with a reason why anyone with a flushing dog would need one-

but then- maybe the dog doesn't hunt for the gunner

maybe for the hunter to find his way back to the vehicle:)

since they came out I can't seem to come up with a reason why anyone with a flushing dog would need one-

Shadow, the guy with the original post was from Michigan and probably chasing Ruffies most of the time. Having hunted Ruffed Grouse in the woods of Minnesota with a Springer back in the 70's I can definately see where a GPS unit could be very useful. Even with a well trained dog they can get seperated quite easily in the thick forests. Not anything you and I probably need to worry about with our Britts in the wide open spaces of Kansas & SD. :)

Shadow, the guy with the original post was from Michigan and probably chasing Ruffies most of the time. Having hunted Ruffed Grouse in the woods of Minnesota with a Springer back in the 70's I can definately see where a GPS unit could be very useful. Even with a well trained dog they can get seperated quite easily in the thick forests. Not anything you and I probably need to worry about with our Britts in the wide open spaces of Kansas & SD. :)

I understand-

late 50's thru the 60's south of Bemidji, Minn we hunted grouse with Golden Retrievers-

Well my wife for some reason decided to buy me a GPS for my truck for Christmas. Well a normal trip to the city my wife would always moan, grip or complain some how - some way about turn here or turn there even the dreaded “you missed the shortcut”. So a few months ago we had too go to OKC for a Banquet. So I typed in the address and Walla it took us right there! On the way back I pushed the Home Icon and about 5 miles into the trip she said “turn right here” the GPS indicated to go straight so I did. I looked over at the wife and said, “so ya now you want to argue with the GPS now”. When we got to the road that she previously wanted me too take because it’s the “shortcut” the GPS said too continue, so I did! I again looked over at my wife and said “I guess the GPS doesn’t know about your short-cut”.

The Moral of the story. I never argue with my dogs over directions, ONLY my wife. So why would I need a GPS for my dogs?

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with you guys 100%. IMO the better trained a dog is, the more you need a GPS. Try finding a well trained pointing dog who is fully broke and will stand a bird until either the dog or the bird blinks in really thick cover. My Brit won't hit the dirt without her Astro on her. Not because she doesn't handle, because she does. But because she won't budge when she's on point. If she's in thick cover, you won't find her without the Garmin. I don't care if she's hunting bobs in GA, pheasants in SD, or chuckar back home in WA, or running in All Age Horseback trials, she ALWAYS wears her GPS.

Jetjocky,

I will agree that GPS system is an aid for hunters and can be very useful. Your opinion does have some merit. However I own (5) GSP's and have never owned a GPS. I will also say that I have never lost a dog. IMHO I am not sure I agree 100% with your rational on this.

Every single Horseback Field Trial dog that ever gets put on the ground has some sort of tracking system on them. There is a reason for that. Look at this years AKC National GD championship right up and look how many dogs went "lost" because they were on point but couldn't be found by their handler. I'm not referring to run off dogs btw. I'm referring to dogs that handle very well but also won't break once on point..... I was talking to my trainer a couple months back about a dog I was considering breeding to in the future (the dog has past but there is still semen). He said the dog would have won more if he would have busted a bird now and then. The problem was the dog was so steady that it would still be standing 15 minutes after a bird flushed wild. He lost the dog many times because it just wouldn't move once it went on point. Steady dogs don't move, and often times a gps is the only way to find them. Even when we hunt the prairies of SD, my dog doesn't get put down without her collar. Even prairie grass can hide a dog on point.

I'm going to disagree with you guys 100%. IMO the better trained a dog is, the more you need a GPS. Try finding a well trained pointing dog who is fully broke and will stand a bird until either the dog or the bird blinks in really thick cover. My Brit won't hit the dirt without her Astro on her. Not because she doesn't handle, because she does. But because she won't budge when she's on point. If she's in thick cover, you won't find her without the Garmin. I don't care if she's hunting bobs in GA, pheasants in SD, or chuckar back home in WA, or running in All Age Horseback trials, she ALWAYS wears her GPS.

That is spot on. I don't like beeps and on a windy day when the dog is well out you can't hear them anyway.

The dogs job is to find point and hold the birds till I get there. My job is to find the dog on point. When you have two dogs down at the same time they can be hard to keep tabs on. The Garmin helps me do my job better.

And there is peace of mind that I can alway find them if something stupid happens. And if I remember to make the trucks location, I can always find it too :D

It may be easier or one of many ways to find a dog on point, but it is not necessary in my opinion. I’m not a fan of gauging a dog’s ability solely on some field trial rule book. Field trials have been in existence for decades before GPS technology was around. Some of the old time bird dog owners and trainers would roll-over on that one!

It may be easier or one of many ways to find a dog on point, but it is not necessary in my opinion. I’m not a fan of gauging a dog’s ability solely on some field trial rule book. Field trials have been in existence for decades before GPS technology was around. Some of the old time bird dog owners and trainers would roll-over on that one!

You can't use them in the trials that I have been in. But you can put it on the dog and let the judge keep the handheld unit. No reason not to use it as a safety backup. And it speeds up the trial when someones dog gets off the reservation. :D

But it is a very valuable tool for hunting, assuming your dog is hunting out of sight for a period of time. My hunting partners and I can have as many as 5 or 6 dogs down at one time, all hunting at different ranges. We have had more than one dog on point in different areas at the same time. The Garmin is very handy keeping tabs on everyone.

Okie. They have used trackers for years. In the old days of trialing, losing dogs was not uncommon. At least now you can find them after they go lost. I grew up hunting pheasants over Brits back home in WA when WA still had good bird numbers. We never used trackers and GPS wasn't invented. However, now I won't go into the field without one. The piece of mind knowing where my dog is 100% of the time even when I can't see her is well worth it. Not to mention the increased number of birds I kill because I can always find her when she's standing.

He said the dog would have won more if he would have busted a bird now and then. The problem was the dog was so steady that it would still be standing 15 minutes after a bird flushed wild. He lost the dog many times because it just wouldn't move once it went on point.

Your post above is a good example. He trained his dog to be steady. I guess the dog doesn't understand when birds flush wild (not the dogs fault) the dog does not understand to continue to hunt (I do not mean give chase to the flushing birds) But you seem to think you need a GPS in order to find the dog in order to release the dog.

When you train a dog to be a statue to win in field trials, what do you expect.

This is a by-product of the field trial rulebook that does not allow for dogs too make tactical decission with his nose.

Last edited:
Jetjocky,

I will agree that GPS system is an aid for hunters and can be very useful. Your opinion does have some merit. However I own (5) GSP's and have never owned a GPS. I will also say that I have never lost a dog. IMHO I am not sure I agree 100% with your rational on this.

I think there is a big difference with what dogs might necessitate a GPS. Most of the shorthairs I have seen probably don't need a GPS because they stick close. For bigger ranging dogs, especially young ones you can't 100% trust yet, I see it as an absolute must have.

I lost my setter for an hour when he was 6 months old. He had a bell on but got out of range. I only found him by luck. He was caught on a tree by his collar and was barking at a squirrel about a mile and a half from the truck. I happened to walk in the right direction and heard his bark.

I went home and bought an astro. I guarantee my new setter pup coming in July will not enter the field without it.

Back