Governor pondering fish and game changes

onpoint

Governor pondering fish and game changes

The Legislature has sent Gov. Tim Pawlenty a sweeping bill that could alter some of the ways we fish and hunt.

By DOUG SMITH, Star Tribune
Last update: May 22, 2010 - 11:01 PM

Open-water anglers could use two fishing lines. A walk-in hunting program would be launched. Minnesota's duck season could start in September instead of October. Hunters would have to be at least 10 feet from their ATVs when shooting at ruffed grouse. And all youths 17 and under would fish for free beginning next year.

Those are just a few of the changes that will affect Minnesotans under a game-and-fish bill passed in the waning hours of the Legislature -- if it is signed by Gov. Tim Pawlenty. He has until May 30 to sign or veto the bill, which contains numerous controversial provisions, including several opposed by the Department of Natural Resources.

"I may very well recommend a veto; it's that bad,'' DNR Commissioner Mark Holsten said. But the bill also contains 23 pages of land sales affecting numerous counties, which could make it difficult to kill.

For more: http://www.startribune.com/sports/o...yaiUgOahccyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

I'm puzzled as to Hosten's comment about it being "THAT BAD". What about it is Soooo bad??

He states that he doubts anyone will purchase the 2 fishing line provision, which will help fund the walk-in program, but no mention as to what is so awfully wrong about this bill or portion of the bill that he thinks is Soooo bad. :rolleyes:

I hope TPaw signs the bill.

I'm puzzled as to Hosten's comment about it being "THAT BAD". What about it is Soooo bad??

He states that he doubts anyone will purchase the 2 fishing line provision, which will help fund the walk-in program, but no mention as to what is so awfully wrong about this bill or portion of the bill that he thinks is Soooo bad. :rolleyes:

I hope TPaw signs the bill.

I second it!

He's upset about letting 16 and 17 year old's fish for free.

The two line fishing..if people don't buy it? Whats the loss? It's totally electronic licensing. There's no printed license going to waste, Etc. I sometime think we have a DNR full of Anti's myself.
Just like the stocking program they claim that doesn't work. So they keep wanting to scale it back. Hmmm, sure seems to work just fine on Red Lake and Leech. I call BS!

He knows a thing or two about the impacts of some of the provisions in the bill. More than the legislators who wrote the bill, sadly.

The "let then fish free" (take your pick--kids, veterans, seniors, etc., this comes up EVERY year with a new legislator each time, it seems) provisions always sound good. But when you factor in lost license income PLUS the loss of federal matching grant money those things which sound good on the surface suddenly mean less fish population sampling, less stocking, etc.

The two line provision guarantees more pressure on existing fish populations, fewer fish in some situations and/or fewer large fish in others are likely. Just step back and think a bit please--we already have efforts like slot limits, minimum size limits, bans on keeping some fish at all--why is that? It's not that we have all the fish in the world and they are all big!

Then there's the issue of the powerful state senator convincing his buddy in the house to add a little provision onto the bill requiring special fishing regs on a certain lake. One he just happens to own property on....

I'll disagree, IMO he don't know jack and I have shook the man's hand on the steps of the state capital. I listen to his promise to help us waterfowlers. Then when election time came. The republican party put sign's up all over telling people to vote no on the legacy and clean water act.

Mr Pawlenty is interested in only one thing..Mr Pawlenty

Pawlenty cuts back conservation easement program

Legislature had allocated funds to restore 24,000 acres. Instead, 4,600 acres will be possible.

By DOUG SMITH, Star Tribune
Last update: March 15, 2010 - 11:18 PM

A state-federal conservation program that pays landowners for permanent easements requiring them to restore and maintain wetlands and wildlife habitat was among the items vetoed in the $1 billion state bonding bill by Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

The Legislature had allocated $25 million for the Reinvest in Minnesota Reserve program, which would have been matched by $35 million in federal dollars. Combined with $7 million recommended by the Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Council, the program would have restored wetlands and grasslands on up to 24,000 acres throughout the state.

Instead, a much smaller program is likely. If the $7 million in Outdoor Heritage dollars is approved by the Legislature, it would be matched by about $10 million from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That $17 million would pay for easements on about 4,600 acres.

"Obviously I'm very disappointed,'' said Kevin Lines of the state Board of Water and Soil Resources, which administers the program. "Gov. Pawlenty has always been a strong supporter of the program.''

Pawlenty had recommended $4 million for the program in his budget, far short of the $25 million included by legislators.

"This amount is more than six times my recommendation, and the language used invites an 'all or nothing' veto approach,'' Pawlenty wrote in his letter explaining his line-item vetoes. In the 2008 bonding bill, the Legislature, with Pawlenty's approval, allocated $25 million for the program.

Lines said the millions in federal money that Minnesota won't get will either go to other states or won't be used at all.

"Washington wanted 1 million acres on the ground in the next three years, and we were hoping to acquire a significant portion of those acres for Minnesota,'' Lines said. "$17 million is still a significant program, but we're missing out on an opportunity.''

State conservation groups had supported the program because it would be a boost to wildlife habitat and because each state dollar was matched by $1.40 in federal money.

The program also helps improve water quality and mitigate flooding because water is retained in restored wetlands.

"I was very surprised,'' said Joe Duggan of Pheasant Forever. "There are a lot of benefits beyond wildlife habitat.''

The RIM Reserve is the private lands component of the program. The sale of conservation license plates funds the RIM Critical Habitat program, which acquires and restores wildlife lands for public use.

OTHER CUTSThe governor also trimmed some other natural resource items from the bonding bill, including:
$21.4 million for state trail acquisition and development.
$4.5 million for Scientific and Natural Areas acquisition.
$1 million for the city of Two Harbors for campground expansion.
$750,000 to renovate the Coon Rapids Dam.

Also, Wis. has had the two line fishing advantage for years. they still have great fishing. The limit is the limit, it's not like two lines will all of son give everybody the right to take hundreds more fish. The DNR always wants more and continues to want to restrict instead of reinvest.

Onpoint

Back