Government Shut Down Eliminates DNR Checks

meridiannursery

I was talking to some DNR boys at the truck stop. One mentioned the government shut down has reduced their hours for hunting checks. Should be a good deal for anyone coming up short on cash for a hunting license.

david0311

I was talking to some DNR boys at the truck stop. One mentioned the government shut down has reduced their hours for hunting checks. Should be a good deal for anyone coming up short on cash for a hunting license.

Were you talking with Federal or State officers?? And were they enforcement or some other type--state officers should not be effected by all this BS--

The two gentleman I spoke with were having lunch. They were South Dakota game wardens. They specifically mentioned with the federal government shutdown, that affects the states budget. Jim said, " We will have 60% less wardens out on opening pheasant weekend". What a shock. That is when we need these guys out on the front lines. All federal land and any federal CRP land is off limits. That is going to take a ton of private land off the market as well.

The two gentleman I spoke with were having lunch. They were South Dakota game wardens. They specifically mentioned with the federal government shutdown, that affects the states budget. Jim said, " We will have 60% less wardens out on opening pheasant weekend". What a shock. That is when we need these guys out on the front lines. All federal land and any federal CRP land is off limits. That is going to take a ton of private land off the market as well.

Federal CRP?:confused:
CRP is on private land----it will be a cold day in he-- before someone tells me that my land is closed!!!!! :rolleyes:

In fact the FED'S are in breach of contract in that they have not made payment on this years rent!!::mad:

david0311

???Something does not seem right with that--60% of the enforcement budget is federal money??? no reflection on you but I have to believe there is some misinformation going around---

I agree with the last post. 60% less wardens checking hunters seemed low. I look at the bigger picture and the behind the scenes take. You have statewide over 50% decline in birds. You have hotels statewide at 38% cancellations...( you can look at Travelocity and pull the same numbers I did) You look at all federal funding hunting sites closed. You look at all private land that receives CRP $ closed. I think South Dakota knows the season is a total loss and they are protecting next years budgets. I spoke with Collen Saunders who runs one of the biggest hotels in Pierre and she said her cancel rate is pushing 70%. I think South Dakota might never recover. Who knows time will tell.

You look at all federal funding hunting sites closed. You look at all private land that receives CRP $ closed.

Where do you see where private land that receives CRP$ is closed---I seriously doubt that---calling ya this one---provide a reference.

Oh yes it was just announced that FWP lands in SD will be open for this season per the state of South Dakota.

Here is the reference: SIOUX FALLS, SD -
Hunters have more options as of Friday afternoon.

South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard announced that Waterfowl Production Area lands closed as part of the federal government shutdown have now been re-opened.

The change opens more land for South Dakota's resident-only pheasant season October 12 to 14. The traditional statewide pheasant season opens October 19.

2013 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:
article out this afternoon...NDGFP has announced all WPA's will be open to hunting for tomorrow's opener and going forward....well, SD??

I agree with the last post. 60% less wardens checking hunters seemed low. I look at the bigger picture and the behind the scenes take. You have statewide over 50% decline in birds. You have hotels statewide at 38% cancellations...( you can look at Travelocity and pull the same numbers I did) You look at all federal funding hunting sites closed. You look at all private land that receives CRP $ closed. I think South Dakota knows the season is a total loss and they are protecting next years budgets. I spoke with Collen Saunders who runs one of the biggest hotels in Pierre and she said her cancel rate is pushing 70%. I think South Dakota might never recover. Who knows time will tell.

Try getting a hotel in anywhere near Chamberlain the first two weeks of the season.

Try getting a hotel in anywhere near Chamberlain the first two weeks of the season.

I would not hunt near Chamberlain. I prefer to hunt wild birds. The hotels are near full in Chamberlain so all those so called " wild bird hunters " can come in and hunt on zoo farms.

I would not hunt near Chamberlain. I prefer to hunt wild birds. The hotels are near full in Chamberlain so all those so called " wild bird hunters " can come in and hunt on zoo farms.

I agree no wild birds anywhere near Chamberlain, so everybody should just stay away, or if you come, please stay on the zoo farms.

Don't start.

PS. The Fed does not purchase anything to do with hunting rights on CRP contracts so has no authority over them.

Jim River CREP is only open access CRP I am aware of and the open access part was funded by the state.

The resident opener was down 50% according to the newspaper. Did any residents head out? Bird Reports? Did anyone see any game wardens. I am guessing the following answers.

1) No

2) No

3) No

Back