Goose hunting from a boat?

wingshot

Has anyone ever tried hunting geese from a duck boat out on a lake? I have a stealth 1200 and I'm debating on getting the blind for it but it costs $400!! If it doesn't bother the geese to land in front of then i'm all for it but i'm skeptical as of now. Let me know of your experiences in this matter good or bad.

Thanks,
Wingshot

I had a big boat, I bought and drove to the jersey shore from Kansas City to pick up! It was used in Barnegat Bay, and all along the coast. i bought it because it was seaworthy with a bullet, 17 foot long and 6 foot wide, double floor, had a blind which was like a curtain which pulled up and across. We used it in open water, shot mallards, canadas, snows and blues sitting in open water. I don't mean to claim that everyday was a "come in with flaps down" sort of adventure, but often enough, and thing was a battleship. The open water seems to have the effect on waterfowl that nothing can hurt them. We sure weren't very stealthy! ordinarily I am a fan of low profile and blending in. But this boat hunting in the central flyway and the atlantic flyway was pretty darn effective and you could hunt 3 x 200+ men, and a big dog, with ease, comfort, and complete safety. Got lots of pictures with black ducks, canadas, mallards all hanging on the strut support. So I say go for it, I'm sure there will be days, calm, sundrenched and reflective, where a layout boat would kill more birds, but you would certainly suffer for your sport! Layout is lonely, dangerous, and cold! Keep the thread alive and let us know how you do, lots of young birds in the flyway should help.

Has anyone ever tried hunting geese from a duck boat out on a lake? I have a stealth 1200 and I'm debating on getting the blind for it but it costs $400!!

Thanks,
Wingshot

You will have no issues hunting from a boat. Just hide the boat in the cattails like you would for ducks. I have cut brush and placed them in buckets in the boat that works really good at hiding the boat. The birds come from above break up the boat pattern and you will do fine.
Save the $400 for a new gun or dog

Has anyone ever tried hunting geese from a duck boat out on a lake? I have a stealth 1200 and I'm debating on getting the blind for it but it costs $400!! If it doesn't bother the geese to land in front of then i'm all for it but i'm skeptical as of now. Let me know of your experiences in this matter good or bad.

Thanks,
Wingshot
Are you talking about the Otter Stealth? I have hunted out of one. We just put some hay over us and did fine. Another time we cut a bunch of cattail reeds and layer them over us. I would save the $$ on the blind like goldeneye said. get a dog or a gun.

The boat thing works fine:thumbsup: I would make a blind out of cattails and grass Ect. be more realalistic never like store bought blinds. Have fun and let us know how it goes:) I use a punkin seed mines very wide and stable geese/ducks don't have a clue.

Like Coot said the boat thing is fun, another suggesting might be looking into on how much a dog ladder cost for your boat if you have dog. Also you can make your own get a couple cases of beer and some friends go at it I made mine out of electrical 3/4 pipe metal (EMT) frame for hanging vegetation on it. cost me about $100 -$150 to make that does not include beer expense

Hunting out of a boat it does gets pretty expensive at first, but I love it because you get to hunt from different areas all time enjoy let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys. My neighbor gave me some military camo netting so I'm going to construct something here in the next day or two since the hunt starts the first. I also need to build a dog ladder for my lab. She's gonna freak when she gets to retrieve her first goose!!

Back