Good Freinds Brush Bobwhites and Brittanys

Welcome,

I have seen the number up on quail this season as compared to that last couple years. But they still are not back to what I saw about 5 years ago.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Good lookin dogs. I like those britts.

Made one trip to KS to go pheasant hunting this year. Did notice more quail. Hope the upward trend continues.

Scott

Mixed bag question?

Scott, how was the pheasant hunting (and quail)? I'm thinking about a Kansas trip this last weekend. Never hunted there and I know rooster numbers are down, but what I've been hearing about the quail numbers might just make my mind up. That, and getting out of MN to temps in the 50's!! Plus a Red Setter that would love to have another hunt this year! I'm a real Quail newbie. Have only shot at a few (I did scratch one down out of my first covey flush that erupted on all sides of me. I was mighty proud - and surprised!! Those things are rockets!) What a rush! I can see the thrill! So..... I'm kind of looking for some tips. No hotspots, just a general area I would have a decent chance to hopefully see some quail and roosters. I'm thinking north central, maybe the Stockton to Osborne area. Anyone hunted there this year? Any better areas in north central? Or would I be better moving to different locations for each species? Thanks and everyone enjoy these final days of the seasons!

Randy

Randy, nice first post! Hope you can come thaw out! Should have been here yesterday, 73 in Wichita. If you want to see pheasants run, that'll do it!

Troy, Thanks for your info as well. A little warm weather would be nice (although the weather here hasn't been bad lately-better than November! Brrrr.) Your weather is startin' to get a bit warm for the dogs though!

Randy

Randy,

I've been to North Central Kansas( near Mankato) the past two years. This year we saw double the number of roosters we did last year on private land. Thats not saying a whole lot being that we saw very very few the first. It did make for a much more enjoyable hunt though.

Still in North Central.....We jumped two coveys of quail on public land one day. They were good coveys. One in the 20-30 range and the other was easily 30 +

Debating going back this year myself.

Scott

Last edited:
From a while ago. I was so surprised seeing that many quail I simply got the "yips." Was able to focus for 2 of them. Had I been on target I should have had 6 or maybe a limit and I wouldnt have put a dent in what I saw.

Best part was all pointed by the dog.

IMG_20150111_165720_871.jpg

Good memory and good day.

Back