Good dog to pair with a Brit

primalphil

Hey guys,

I'm starting my very early research on my next hunting dog to pair up with my Brittany. Louie is my first hunting dog ever and things couldn't be better with him. Anyone have an recommendation on what a good dog to partner up with him would be? I mostly have hunted pheasant and quail as well as dusky grouse. I will say that my wife is pretty adamant about not getting another Britt just becuz of how hyper Louie can be, so if you think I might be better not getting a 2nd dog because any hunting dog is going to be hyper I accept that that might be an option too. My wife wants the next dog to be a little less bouncing off the walls this time around and I'm aware that it could be tough to come by when looking at dogs who hunt.

I would rather have a dog with a little extra drive than not enough . I have had French Britts, the 2 that I had were a little softer and more subdued personality . Put on birds and they would get it done. Other option look for a breeder that is known for the temperament of dog you are looking for .

Last edited:
Get another Brittany! Get a female and have it spayed. I'll guaranty that you will have a much better dog around the house. If your wife could have seen my Elle that I just put down she would change her mind in a heartbeat. Elle was laid back and most of the time you never knew she was in the house. But take her to the field and she flipped a switch and had tremendous drive.

A hyper dog is generally a product of one or both of these things. First, is breeding. Make sure the parents and possibly the grand parents are the type of dogs you want. Second, is your environment. If you have young children that and running around a lot and loud chances are your dog will become the same. The Brittany my daughter has is living proof of this. Her kids are loud and wild and so is the dog. If it's just you and your wife in a calm home chances are greater you will have a more laid back dog around the house.

Don't blame the breed because your dog is overly hyper. That can happen in any breed. You could easily switch breeds and end up with one just as hyper.

Any sporting breed is going to have that "puppy stage"... it's just a matter of how long they go through it. Our first hunting dog was a Brittany and many said don't get one, to much energy! Sure as a pup, she was a typical puppy... but later on she couldn't have been more laid back around the house. My 8 year old short is EXTREMELY laid back at home and our 20 month shorthair has really mellowed the last several months already too... they've all been/are dolls around the house. Be a little patient, spend the time and another Britt should be fine... I'd take a Brittany or GSP every day of the week at home or in the field. ;) Best wishes! You'll love having two hunting pooches...

If it were JUST my choice I would be getting a 2nd Britt but my wife only goes by what she sees. Louie is a good dog, hes great with our first kid who's 11 months old, he listens to commands and is an all around friendly boy. My wife's issue with him is when he's in the house with us he can't sit still (shes used to Collies that were calm and just sat around). I'm trying to come up with a compromise with the Mrs. so that I can still get another hunting dog added to the group without pissing her off. In her mind, at least for the time being, all britts are going to be like Louie. I'm just trying to see what else might be out there that has a reputation for calming down in the house so I can pass the info on to her.

Louie is a year and a half old. I know there is a chance he calms down later but I have had quite a few people tell me it may never happen because he comes from a bloodline built to run big for field trials. I love him to death, love britts to death but not sure I could ever convince my wife to go for a 2nd one at least not for a good long while.

Louie is a year and a half old. I know there is a chance he calms down later but I have had quite a few people tell me it may never happen because he comes from a bloodline built to run big for field trials. I love him to death, love britts to death but not sure I could ever convince my wife to go for a 2nd one at least not for a good long while.

Ahh.... got it. Your pooch is now at that point where breeds really calm, which you know already. All of these sporting breeds have energy... so not sure which way to send you. Probably just need to zero in on breeding and find a really lazy pair of parents! Totally kidding with you. :) I say that because I was in your situation as well (my wife wasn't overly excited about 2nd hunting pooch either). As mentioned, my pup is 20 months now and my wife loves her to death (though she won't fully admit it yet). With my 8 yr old GSP, everyone raves about how laid back and good she's always been. She could end up being the best "pet" we'll ever have but she definitely had her months of growing up as well (for sure!). Of course everyone in my house has forgotten that part of her. :D

Soo... after that... I would say either breed still in a heart beat. But I know for sure that my wife would choose a GSP over anything else on the planet. She absolutely loves this breed now. So maybe you should look into getting a GSP at this point.

Best wishes with your family and that 11 month old. Good times ahead. :)

Don't believe what those people tell you!! I have a feeling they've never owned a Brittany from field trial lines, and they are only perpetuating the myth. With that said, Brits DO need exercise on a regular basis. If they don't get that, they will be wild in the house.

I've had setters, gsp's, english pointers, and vizslas. My wife loves the vizsla. They are good hunters. My older female is very good in the field and the house. My wife actually asked me when I was going to have the female bred again. They are puppy hyper but not as bad as the other breeds I have had. Like others have said, it depends on the lines. I would say there is not much of a difference hunting vizslas and shorthairs. But hygiene is a little different in that they dont shed as much, some say they dont stink as bad as the setters and shorthairs, I cant really tell. But they do smell better than when my setter gets wet!! When I bring the variety to school, the kids and teachers always end up liking the vizslas the best. Personally, I like having a variety.

I would second the get another Brittany, my two year old is very laid back in the house, but like what Zeb said once the hunting gear comes out she goes int to bird mode which is a beast. I agree some of the hyperness comes from environment, I can get all 3 of my younger dogs bouncing off the walls if I want, but I tend not to do that cause I don't want to sleep in the shed.....Although our shed is turning into a tiny house, has heat, sat tv and two large kennels.....

I've had setters, gsp's, english pointers, and vizslas. My wife loves the vizsla. They are good hunters. My older female is very good in the field and the house. My wife actually asked me when I was going to have the female bred again. They are puppy hyper but not as bad as the other breeds I have had. Like others have said, it depends on the lines. I would say there is not much of a difference hunting vizslas and shorthairs. But hygiene is a little different in that they dont shed as much, some say they dont stink as bad as the setters and shorthairs, I cant really tell. But they do smell better than when my setter gets wet!! When I bring the variety to school, the kids and teachers always end up liking the vizslas the best. Personally, I like having a variety.

My britts would never start a fight with a coon. Most of my brother's shorthairs liked to fight coons. How would a vizsla handle a coon? Ignore or fight?

I currently own three and they all live inside with us ...

My 10 month old male Brittany is very calm. Most of the time he behaves like my 6 and 11 year old dogs. There are times that these dogs tussle a little, but that is good too.

Exercise (walking them, a fenced back yard, training time) certainly help them release some energy. Rawhides or other chew toys are good to occupy time, release some energy and give them something to chew on.

All that said, Brittanys and most other bird dogs are peppy from 8 weeks until 3-4 years old ... then my experience says they take incremental steps down around 5, 10 and 12.

My suggestion, if you are interested in getting another Brittany, would be to wait a while longer in hopes that your present dog mellows with a little more age. Good luck. Dave

My britts would never start a fight with a coon. Most of my brother's shorthairs liked to fight coons. How would a vizsla handle a coon? Ignore or fight?

The last time my older vizsla saw a coon it was dead in about 3 shakes! I've seen coon dogs struggle fighting coons. She kills them quickly. I think she has killed 3 in 8 years. The young one hasnt confronted one yet but she did drown a squirrel last weekend. I'm sure she would shake the hell out of one too. My setters won't touch em just like the brits. I think the shorthairs and vizslas being in the versatile dog category has more to do with it. Shorthairs and vizslas will grab about anything with fur on it. They dont mess with the cats around the house, but if they see one in the field it better climb a tree.

Last edited:
I currently own three and they all live inside with us ...

My 10 month old male Brittany is very calm. Most of the time he behaves like my 6 and 11 year old dogs. There are times that these dogs tussle a little, but that is good too.

Exercise (walking them, a fenced back yard, training time) certainly help them release some energy. Rawhides or other chew toys are good to occupy time, release some energy and give them something to chew on.

All that said, Brittanys and most other bird dogs are peppy from 8 weeks until 3-4 years old ... then my experience says they take incremental steps down around 5, 10 and 12.

This is my experience with dogs too. You will have an exception every now and again. But some start later than others too.

My britt must have found a wounded squirrel. She was bringing it to me when it twisted out of her mouth and bit down on my dog's foot. The dog started rolling on the ground but the squirrel would not let go. I finally got the dog still and pressed the stock of my gun onto the squirrel's neck until it let go.

I had a britt like the OP described. The seller tried to warn me: You need a horse.

All my britts since are great house dogs. If your wife could just meet a french britt. I had a 25 pound britt with a background unknown to me. She was a chick magnet.

IMO there is no such thing as a dog that "needs" a horse. What they need is training. I sold a Brittany I bred to a guy who really wanted a pup from my litter. . I told him up front the dog wouldn't be like any other Brittany he's ever had (both parents are GFC All Age trial dogs), and that he may need help training her. He was kinda stubborn and explained to me how "Old Man Johnson" taught him to train dogs and that it would be no problem. The dog is now 2.5 yrs old and the guy has no idea how to handle it, as it's WAY too much dog for him. I recomended he take her to a Brittany Pro in his area to help
him out but the suggestion went know where. Sad thing is he has a dog that could be phenomenal, but will most likely never be able to be hunted over.

Back