Golden Retriever question

My dad always had goldens and Springer Spaniards. Golden are more mello than lab, and not as good at hunting. Imo.

Rarely see them afield. I have seen a few at hunt tests.

When I was a kid and dad ran field trials back in the 70s and early 80s there was a lady he trained with that had some really nice Golden’s that she ran in field trials. I don’t remember her ever placing in one but her dogs were still very nice and if hunt tests were around back then they’d all have finished/master titles no problem.

A couple of guides I used to run into had field bred goldens. I remember that I had to ask what they were. They were lean and shorter coated. They said they never lost a cripple with them.

I went and watched a hunt test one time and James Spencer was running a couple of goldens. He was from here. I don't know much about it but his dogs seemed really impressive to me. I was in awe. Mr. Spencer seemed really old but he was probably not much older than I am now.
I had a friend with a golden that was from sungold I think. Really nice dog sadly it got bloat before he ever got to hunt it much

Last edited:
I went and watched a hunt test one time and James Spencer was running a couple of goldens. He was from here. I don't know much about it but his dogs seemed really impressive to me. I was in awe. Mr. Spencer seemed really old but he was probably not much older than I am now.
I had a friend with a golden that was from sungold I think. Really nice dog sadly it got bloat before he ever got to hunt it much
I remember him. Didn't he write for gun dog??

I typically hunt alone, so I see a golden every time I go out! I’m on my second golden and even though mine haven’t been from breeders that create hunting dogs, they have had great instincts and a crazy desire to please. Unless I drop dead first, my next hunting buddy will be a golden too.

A bit off topic but I did an agility trial today and one of my goldens got first and another got third in the masters standard run. This was with me having a bum knee. This week they will get introduced to desert quail I hope if I can figure out where to go for them.

Back