Golden Retriever question

goldenboy

Hey guys I have a question for you. Most of you know that I have been raising golden's for about 2 decades now. When I started out very few people looked at Golden's for hunting or hunt test dogs. Recently as I have been visiting trainers I am seeing a lot more golden's on their trucks and some really quality goldens. So obviously they are finding their way back into the world of hunting and hunt tests. My question is do you guys see many in the field when you are hunting? Anybody have buddies that are running goldens now? It is kind of a quandry I am in. It was a niche' market back in the day but with more people producing these hunting dogs I am wondering if people can now find them almost anywhere in the country. I still have people who will travel for my dogs and the last litter had them going to Maine, Canada, Colorado, Washington and Alaska. Just wondering if anyone is seeing golden's in the field.

I don't see many around here, but I also try and avoid the crowds when hunting. I watched a couple of episodes of the Wentz (Carson) Brothers hunting show this weekend and one of them has a golden retriever. In the episodes I watched they were duck hunting and the dog was making some solid retrieves.

I don't see many in the grouse woods of Michigan. Had a friend in Indiana who wanted with one, but that was back in the 80's, so that isn't mush help. To me it seems there are a few hunting breeds that kinda went the show way making a resurgence in the woods and fields, English cocker and irish/red setter are a couple.

I haven’t see them hunting here in Colorado. There are several that belong to and participate in the local HRC club.

I got a buddy in the metro who is getting one in the next year. I mentioned your website and told him to check it out. I seem to be seeing more of them online in hunting pics, but cant say I've seen one in the field.

Not many that I have seen either in Ohio. Went to a couple of hunt type tests and would see maybe 5 or 6. The trainers that have trained my dog are die hard Lab guys and absolutely adored having mine to train

Doesn't seem to be many around here, now cross them with a standard poodle or miniature one and those are everywhere! Have not heard of any of the locals hunting with the Goldendoodles. My next-door neighbor has a Golden, but it is terrified of gunfire, so not a hunting hound. We have an eastern Iowa guy here hunting one, he just posted some nice pics a week ago in the Iowa 2023 pic thread. Go CyNat10. Locally, labs are the overwhelming choice it seems, then GSPs. Bob is running a pair....right?

I’ve had goldens for hunting since the 70s, yes I am that old. Sometime around when Ford became president they became extremely popular and the hunting ability suffered. The hunting lines have come back and I see more of them in certain areas of the country. The northwest and alaska has a lot of field goldens both hunting and in agility. I m in Utah now doing agility and there are no field bred goldens around. Still sparse in MT and the Dakotas but I see a few.

I’ve seen a couple in SD. My farmer buddy in SD is getting a golden because he loves how my dog is at the house and in the field. He had a GSP previously.

I think the show bred looking dogs have been a curse on the breed. Just the way most goldens are portrayed in advertisements/pop culture media would make a serious hunter look elsewhere. Just a glance at the long flowing coat makes me cringe thinking of the amount of crap that would be stuck in there.

I think more people are becoming aware that they are another option that can be as good as any retriever.

I’m biased and I know it.

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Golden when I go hunting. But Joel knows who I hunt with..... I am a bit of an anomaly, between Thistle Rock, Bewitched, and Ho Hum I am always surrounded by burr catchers :) .

over 24 years i've seen one golden afield

I recently hunted in North Dakota with a friend from NY. His friend brought a FB Golden that has a Master Hunter; very nice dog. I also have a hunting buddy here in Colorado who has been hunting FB Goldens for 30 years. The female he has right now is really nice.

GB, Buckshot Retrievers, Minocqua, WI Two belong to one son and one to my other son. I also have a house muppet springer that has zero prey drive, but a good shadow for my wife. The girls are 43#-47# and have plenty of prey drive for extended out of state trips. I got my first FB golden in 1979 and my current girl is #6. They work well for me.

Back