Golden Retriever Breeders

ksoltis

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a golden in the next year or so, and am looking for some recommendations on breeders. I primarily pheasant hunt and dabble some in ducks and geese. I live in NJ so I will have to travel no matter what breeder I decide so location doesn't really matter for a recommendation. I'm also not looking to break the bank. I don't need a top of the line dog, this is a hobbie not a job. I figure 1500-2000 should be sufficient to get a good dog from a good breeder. So, let's hear them, any suggestions?

Thanks

I just saw your post and thought I need to respond! I just got a breeding done this past weekend with one of my females. I have sold dogs to guys on this sight and have a pretty good track record for satisfied clients. All the info about the litter is on my website nelsonkennel.com

My female is 50 pounds and dark red. I bred her to a 55 pound male who is dark red as well. Both dogs are great hunting dogs. The male has over 50 Master Hunter passes without a fail! My female has a Junior Hunt test title on her. What that means is that both dogs are trainable and have the backing of a standardized test to confirm that. We raise the pups in our home so they are socialized and handled on a daily basis. If you are interested go to the website and send me an email. These pups will be on the ground in May and ready to go home in July.

David0311

I just saw your post and thought I need to respond! I just got a breeding done this past weekend with one of my females. I have sold dogs to guys on this sight and have a pretty good track record for satisfied clients. All the info about the litter is on my website nelsonkennel.com

My female is 50 pounds and dark red. I bred her to a 55 pound male who is dark red as well. Both dogs are great hunting dogs. The male has over 50 Master Hunter passes without a fail! My female has a Junior Hunt test title on her. What that means is that both dogs are trainable and have the backing of a standardized test to confirm that. We raise the pups in our home so they are socialized and handled on a daily basis. If you are interested go to the website and send me an email. These pups will be on the ground in May and ready to go home in July.

I’m a Lab. Guy through and through—HOW EVER IF I WAS LOOKING FOR A GOLDEN—THIS IS NOT A CHANCE I WOULD PASS UP-
ANY THING FROM GOLDEN BOY IS —GOOD AS GOLD—(sorry couldn’t resist)

Goldenboy, thank you very much for the information. I'm not sure if a puppy is in the cards for as early as this July, but if I can work it out, you may be hearing from me soon.

My female is 50 pounds and dark red. I bred her to a 55 pound male who is dark red as well. Both dogs are great hunting dogs.

I truly think that Golden retrievers are the best choice about choosing the right dog for hunting. And talking of dog training, few weeks ago we've got a new puppy for my brother-in-law, and we want to make him more obedient that's why thinking of getting a shock collar. A blog the-hunting-dog tells that SportDOG 425 Remote Trainer model is one of the best. What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a golden in the next year or so, and am looking for some recommendations on breeders. I primarily pheasant hunt and dabble some in ducks and geese. I live in NJ so I will have to travel no matter what breeder I decide so location doesn't really matter for a recommendation. I'm also not looking to break the bank. I don't need a top of the line dog, this is a hobbie not a job. I figure 1500-2000 should be sufficient to get a good dog from a good breeder. So, let's hear them, any suggestions?

Thanks

So what did you decide?

I truly think that Golden retrievers are the best choice about choosing the right dog for hunting. And talking of dog training, few weeks ago we've got a new puppy for my brother-in-law, and we want to make him more obedient that's why thinking of getting a shock collar. A blog the-hunting-dog tells that SportDOG 425 Remote Trainer model is one of the best. What do you think about it?
Please don’t take offense—
‘But if have no experience with collars—PLEASE-learn how to use—AND NOT USE ONE FIRST!! Before even thinking of buying/using one

Just looked at the gene pool for Goldenboy’s Rufus. Topbrass Cotton was all I needed to see. I’ve hunted with Goldens for over 40 years, and never been disappointed. Fabulous nose, hunt “close”, and biddable.
[crazy4goldens.godaddysites.com)56F14FB4-F940-4542-BD4E-C53BBCAC498E.jpeg

Last edited:
Just looked at the gene pool for Goldenboy’s Rufus. Topbrass Cotton was all I needed to see. I’ve hunted with Goldens for over 40 years, and never been disappointed. Fabulous nose, hunt “close”, and biddable.
[crazy4goldens.godaddysites.com)
Mr. Jones:

Thanks for posting a photo of your Golden's...however, was wondering what the straps around the rear of the dogs was about? Current Golden will turn 12 in September but seldom hunted "close." Quite a pheasant machine but needed continual prodding to hunt in range. Poor training on my part...

Yes. Chest protectors. And adds a little visible color when hunting dense cover. JohnnyB. I’ve had 7 Field bred Goldens in my 40 + years of hunting ducks, grouse and pheasants with the breed. Started with a Brittany (and no training skills). Fantastic nose and hunt drive…but my Brittany hunted in a different zip code.
My golden blood lines are similar to Goldenboys, and all hunted about 15 to 25 yards from the gun after the initial burst of energy. All of my dogs had Topbrass blood in their veins. My Topbrass Kelly was grandfathered by Jackie Merten’s Topbrass Cotton. They all had tremendous “hunt drive”. They were relentless in running down birds.
Now…if the bird is a runner, the rules change. The dog stays with me until they locate a bird…then I try to stay with them through the flush. Abby (right in birthday photo) DDEE513B-9A9D-40CA-A1AD-CF2287770F49.jpegis 13. Started hunting them together 2 years ago. Worked out great. 8 year old Jak beat her to the bird…but she cleverly hung back 5 yards, marked the fall and retrieve Jak’s birds to hand. Now that’s teamwork.
Ron

Yes. Chest protectors. And adds a little visible color when hunting dense cover. JohnnyB. I’ve had 7 Field bred Goldens in my 40 + years of hunting ducks, grouse and pheasants with the breed. Started with a Brittany (and no training skills). Fantastic nose and hunt drive…but my Brittany hunted in a different zip code.
My golden blood lines are similar to Goldenboys, and all hunted about 15 to 25 yards from the gun after the initial burst of energy. All of my dogs had Topbrass blood in their veins. My Topbrass Kelly was grandfathered by Jackie Merten’s Topbrass Cotton. They all had tremendous “hunt drive”. They were relentless in running down birds.
Now…if the bird is a runner, the rules change. The dog stays with me until they locate a bird…then I try to stay with them through the flush. Abby (right in birthday photo) View attachment 3473is 13. Started hunting them together 2 years ago. Worked out great. 8 year old Jak beat her to the bird…but she cleverly hung back 5 yards, marked the fall and retrieve Jak’s birds to hand. Now that’s teamwork.
Ron
Ron, Thanks for the message and your history with Golden's. My Max has some Top Brassdogs in his background:Top Brass Take It To The Max, SR Top Brass Toast To Emma...this on the male side of the Pedigree.

Female (Dam) Topbrass Diamonds Rubies and Pearls. Max has been an amazing dog - my nephew calls him the hunt machine. He may have one more year in him - wish I had bred him for a puppy!

Jon

Lost my dear wife of 62 years just 18 months ago, but recently partnered with a lovely lady who trains obedience/agility for a hobby. Benny, seen here, has similar Topbrass bloodlines, and achieved high levels of performance in AKC hunt test and agility trials. Died of prostate cancer this winter age 11. Lois now wants to train my BF2465EF-B0DC-4F05-9C97-BAD1DA451F84.jpeg2F9BF0DA-7A49-4AEE-98B3-19951901EB68.jpeg05F2DE56-0C41-4F07-B1F0-FF957F6E7788.jpeg8 year old Jak in Agility. I’ll be supportive, because Jak still “loves” to learn.

Back