Gloves?

Welcome to the site.
Like the idea of diving gloves but don't know where you would find them in Ok.
Don't like buying gloves or boots without trying them on first unless it's a brand I've bought before.
Would the sporting goods stores in OKC carry them?

I'd be willing to bet there is a dive shop somewhere around you, i'm in Ohio really landlocked but a lot of divers dive in quarrys and the like. Our Gander Mtn has neoprene hunting gloves but they are thicker and have a rubber traction stuff on the plams and fingers that makes them bulkier.

Trying them on first is a very good idea, I ended up with one size smaller then normal to get the tight fit i like. Orvis also sell them but at about twice the price.

Thanksgiving weekend at Aberdeen,SD it was 2 above with a 15mph wind...

I have a problem keeping my hands warm with these temps. Currently attempting to invent a glove that incorporates hand warmers - at the thumb and index finger and yet thin enough to accommodate the trigger et al.

I've split a heat packet in two (a real mess) and taped it closed. this works for the thumb and back of the hand. Still working on a sleeve for the index finger.

Mittens that flop open aren't the answer...

Your thoughts?

Thanksgiving weekend at Aberdeen,SD it was 2 above with a 15mph wind...

I have a problem keeping my hands warm with these temps. Currently attempting to invent a glove that incorporates hand warmers - at the thumb and index finger and yet thin enough to accommodate the trigger et al.

I've split a heat packet in two (a real mess) and taped it closed. this works for the thumb and back of the hand. Still working on a sleeve for the index finger.

Mittens that flop open aren't the answer...

Your thoughts?

I have no idea where to get it but i have seen a cloth like material that you throw in the microwave and heat it up. So, if you can find it cut it to fit and stick it in the glove where required. Don't know how long it would stay warm, but if there happens to be a 7eleven, or the like, near where you hunt, stop and throw your gloves in when no one is looking. Heck, microwaving neoprene might work.

Just an idea

You can get up to 10 hours of heat with the packets, unfortunately they are too large to install in a glove, other than the palm or top of the hand.

The electric/battery opr. gloves extend the wires to the fingers. A bit too pricey and cumbersome - designed primarily for the ski market.

Gloves

Just picked up a pair of Head runners gloves from Costco. Really a warm tight fitting glove, and cheap too.

Neoprene don't work very well for those of us who have crappy circulation in our hands. Neoprene's warmth depends on body-generated heat, if your body doesn't warm hands, the neopreme is small benefit.

Least worst for me has been the small packets of heating grit; at times I'll pull my fingers out of the glove and curl them around it in the palm of the glove.

Batteries and wires are not practicable for me.

Last edited:
Kiz, agree with the neoprene comment. I have two pairs for cleaning bird innards and they work well, esp. in the field where there's no water.

I've modified a pair of heavy, lined ski gloves that I've had for years. They were too bulky for hunting and fair for blowing snow.

However, I've modified them for pheasant hunting: cut a slot in the top for a heat packet, cut down the thumb a bit and installed a slot for a small packet, and reduced the size of the trigger/index finger, cutting away some of the insulation and resewing.

I cut the finger off a pair of lined household gloves and installed it over the remodeled index finger. There is room in the index finger for a small heat packet under the household glove but it makes the finger a bit large and bulky. Am ready to try it out!

Unfortunately none of the heat packet company's make a cold weather glove that accommodates their packets to the end of the fingers.

Last edited:
I need some cold weather gloves but I'm having problems finding ones that are tight-fitting enough to slide easily into the trigger guard. The stitching seems to be all bunched up at the fingertips. What are the rest of you using and which ones do you like? Thanks in advance....

I've yet to find the perfect pair of gloves for really cold weather. 9 out of 10 pairs I've ever bought seem like a waste of money. One thing I have noticed is that different guns have different sized trigger guards. My Beretta O/Us have the biggest trigger guards of all my guns. If it really gets cold, I can shoot wearing my ski gloves with no problem. This doesn't work with any of my autoloaders. So if you have a couple different shotguns that you use, take a look to see if one has a bigger trigger guard.

Trigger guard too small: I've altered a pair of ski gloves and remodeled the trigger finger - smaller. Removed the excess fabric and reinstalled a cotton household glove - finger.

Also installed a 2" slit on top of the glove for a heat packet...

I found a glove(liner) that may work for hunting - "Thermoglove." They are a bit pricey at $119, but would probably work with a thin glove installed over the liner.

Google Thermoglove - they have a video that demonstrates the glove et al.

The heat apparently goes to the fingers and thumb and can last 5-7 hours, depending how high the setting. You could add one of those heat packets to the top of the glove for added heat.

I plan to buy them and give it a try.

Your thoughts?

I hunter with a pair of very thin goat skin gloves that were great until I lost one of them. I now use deer skin a they are second best. The goat skin gloves were smooth on the outside and suede (sp).on the inside. They were very soft and form fitting i.e. not at all bulky.

Gun Mitt Sleeve

Do you think this would work well (deleted link/url 6-20-14)? Looks interesting but also a little gimmicky. Description says it's made in the USA.

Last edited:
Gloves

Head runners gloves from Costco. Cheap, warm, and great dexterity. Really cold, then put poly liners under them. They have the rubber grips on them too. I tried all kinds of combinations after hunting in some really cold crappy weather last year and these worked the best for me.

Head runners gloves from Costco. Cheap, warm, and great dexterity. Really cold, then put poly liners under them. They have the rubber grips on them too. I tried all kinds of combinations after hunting in some really cold crappy weather last year and these worked the best for me.

I'll try those. I found a really nice pair of leather carhartt gloves at Bass that were working well til puppy found them and ate them.

Gloves

Ya, that's another great thing about having a hunting dog. You can leave your old gear out and then you have a good excuse to buy new stuff. My wife is still blamin' the dog. Head Sensa tech are the model glove I bought. About 20 bucks.

I need some cold weather gloves but I'm having problems finding ones that are tight-fitting enough to slide easily into the trigger guard. The stitching seems to be all bunched up at the fingertips. What are the rest of you using and which ones do you like? Thanks in advance....

Bob Allen 40gram lined gloves, paper thin wind proof, last a season or two about 50.00.

Back