Giving back to the outdoors.

We plant about 200 trees a year on our property. Dug 5 1acre ponds last year, already had 3. Control noxious weeds. And just make sure we have the best habitat we can have.

This is a really great post I wish more people would respond!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might give others ideas if you shared what you do to help mother nature

I give back indirectly to the outdoors. My job is to grow hunting through the internet and get more people involved as more people move from the rural to bigger cities, intense regulations and organizations try to hurt the hunting industry.

Well that can be an equally important Roll, we need to have youth and further ed to keep what we love as red blooded free Americans going:thumbsup:.I Like Raising pheasants, have for about ten years now. Got my own incubator and stuff. I wait till they are adults and the close of season and release some in several areas that wild birds were present, and they flurish. It seems that there only needs to be a couple wild ones in an area and they will follow them around to get the ropes in a short time. When I released them in areas where no birds are they did not fair as well.I like to do the tree thing as well like you ford. we are able to get them cheap here through the USDA.

I also host 3 youth hunts and a disabled veteran hunt every year for the past 3 years, lots of fun. With the youth hunt we do a full day including,gun saftey,shooting, a class on being good outdoorsman and a half day hunt. The bad part is finding people help last year on the first youth hunt had 26 kids and 6 helpers. The veterans hunt is very rewarding also listening to the stories they tell about the wars and old hunting stories and hearing about the hunting dogs they used to have. The help through the internet is awesome it helps alot of people, including my self.

Last edited:
I also host 3 youth hunts and a disabled veteran hunt every year for the past 3 years, lots of fun. The help through the internet is awesome it helps alot of people, including my self.

If you ever need help with internet promotion for such events (including everyone else), I'm always willing to lend a hand or run a lead story on it.

I give to PF,QF,DU, and Delta Waterfowl. I will also start giving to grouse conservation. If there any local conservation groups in western Iowa that need help let me know. If people need help with youth hunts let me know.

My land is very wildlife friendly. And I buy over $1000 in licenses each year.

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors

Mike Christensen leads an organization, Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors. I know Mike and he does an awesome work getting the youth involved in outdoor activities.

Check out the website-
http://www.outdoormentors.org/

One money raising promotion that Pass It On has is their gun-a-week drawing. Starting in March there will be a gun given away each week for 52 weeks. I happened to win a gun last year and one of the tickets I sold won a $1,700 Sako 85 .25-06. Check it out.

http://www.outdoormentors.org/gun-a-week.htm

Have put in wetlands, planted trees, food plots,and make brush piles, put bird houses up all on my little 23 acres.Not a lot ground but I also help out others who want more wildlife on their land.

Nice work guys!

I am a member in good standing of three habitat conservation organizations (two local, on national) for fish and wildlife - includes annual fees, and the dinners/auctions that I attend. In addition, I contribute my time (I am a fish biologist) to one of these organizations (Trout Nova Scotia) to help them with their conservation efforts.

I put up duck nest tubes and wood duck boxes near my hunting areas.

I coordinate a Fishing Day for autistic children in Nova Scotia, which is not so much giving back to the environment and it is giving back to society, but I feel that it is good for the image of anglers and hunters overall.
SmallDSC_1075.jpg

-Croc

Last edited:
My habitat work did not really get going until I bought some land. I bought an 80 in NW Wisconsin and on it is a tree called and Ironwood that grows short and crowds out understory which is bad for turkey, deer, grouse. It has no timber value. Myself and 2 kids cut down about 2000 of the buggers. My son ran a chain saw and my daughter treated the stumps with chemical to prevent suckering. I also disturbance disked some CRP acres and truned some other acres into food plot.

I have since sold that 80 in exchange for another on in SW WI. On that one now I am cutting down mature poplars to create snags, new growth and release other hickory and oak stands. Not much interest from loggers as prices are down and with steep grade it is hard to get around. I've installed a couple small food plots which help but I feel the biggest bang for buck is to cut down old mature timber and leave lay. Good habitat for turkey deer and grouse.

In South Dakota I've had these projects going on:
- Cut down 75% of trees in mature 1/2 mile long shelterbelt (just a couple short years later the stand is doing excellent and is very rejuvinated with new tree growth
- Did the same on a smaller scale on 2 other farmstead shelterbelts
- With help of soil district, install 5000 plum and chokecherry trees as part of CRP tree project on 12 acres
- Annually plant about 20-30 acres of sorghum food plots and leave standing over winter
- Have installed and maintain about 50-60 acres of CRP (warm season grasses
- This year we will install another 14 acres of CRP and hopefully conduct a burn on sloughs and CRP.

Great thread.

You've got to give back. That's the only way to ensure the future of this great tradition. I give to PF, DU, and the RMEF. I am willing to help out in whatever ways I can. I would like to work on habitat improvement projects, but don't have my own land. My uncle has a piece of property that I would like to get going on. There currently aren't any upland birds, but I think it has great potential. I just need to convince him its the thing to do, and figure out how to go about improving the place. Our hunting grounds are a couple hours away, but I am always willing to make the drive if I know someone needs a hand.

Back