Gills and chills

onpoint

Finally felt good enough to put the boat in and blow out the cobwebs. She ran perfect. The sun only lasted a hour or so. The wind was chilly and we headed in. We had to work for the bite with a little tug, reel, a little tug. They would take it on the tug. Fishing in 1ft of water or less. Tight to the bank next to the grass and stumps

Caught 40-50 Blue Gills kept 25

vickie5-4-2010-2.jpg

25gills5-5-2010.jpg

punkinseed.jpg

OP, looks like a classic spring day in northern MN. I've scaled many a bluegill and love eating the crispy tails when ma fried them up. Folks had a cabin on Big Pelican near Brainerd growing up and had many good childhood memories of "up north at the cabin". Thanks for sharing the photos.

OP, looks like a classic spring day in northern MN. I've scaled many a bluegill and love eating the crispy tails when ma fried them up. Folks had a cabin on Big Pelican near Brainerd growing up and had many good childhood memories of "up north at the cabin". Thanks for sharing the photos.

We too like to catch and eat bluegills. Can you really eat the tails? You take the tails and put some sort of breading on them or just fry em' up like tater chips?

We fry them whole. Just scale, cut off the head and gut them. The tail's get crisp and are very tasty.

Kind of like these Crappies and Gills

panfishfry.jpg

fishfry0207.jpg

YUM, with fried taters

Awesome! Thank you. The last time we cleaned a bunch of crappie and gills my wife suggested we do just that, cut the heads off and take the guts out. We'd grilled them that way, but never fried them. I look forward to trying it this way. Much less meat will be wasted.

WE just pat dry them and shake them in a zip lock with flour or Cabela's Down Home Cajun fish fry(dry). Then into the hot oil. Salt and pepper to taste, with a pan of fried taters. The only thing better is when your on the Canadian border with a great group of friends 15 miles from the landing camping with a shore lunch/supper over the open fire

We take a big group on several camping, fishing and hunting trips every year. I like putting a group together and having a great time in Gods country. Maybe some of you would like to do this, this summer sometime.

Here some pics from trips in the past

cranelale-3.jpg

groupweb-1.jpg

SANY0898.jpg

sunriseweb.jpg

Onpoint
you keep posting these great pictures of food and you will one day fiind me sitting on your door step. :D

well, when we going. I have a trip/group going to Bowstring in June. I want to start planning a trip to Crane Lake. Anybody interested?

Onpoint
Thanks for the invite I would love to get together someday But this summer is full the kids have me tied up till fall which I told them is OK they just have to remember in fall things need to slow down abit.
We'll try again

10-4, totally understand

I am actually sorry to say I have never tried Bluegills or Crappie. I have caught a bunch, but never kept them. My friends say I am crazy and that they are tasty table fare, but I just have yet to do it. You make them look even better then what they tell me!!!:coolpics::cheers:

Yup! the best eating fish, got to be bluegill.
Growing up we ate a ton. All scaled, dusted with flour and fried.
We would take the fin bones out but eat the tails fried crisp.:10sign:

Have spent many a trip in Crane Lake, Lac La Croix, Kabetogoma canoe and boat camping, mostly late Sept.. Walleye and smallmouth chasing. Gotta get up there and re-charge the batteries.

Have spent many a trip in Crane Lake, Lac La Croix, Kabetogoma canoe and boat camping, mostly late Sept.. Walleye and smallmouth chasing. Gotta get up there and re-charge the batteries.

God's country at the right time of the year. I'm going sometime this summer. Never have done the fall trip. Always too busy hunting by then

Back