Getting Ready for a Chilly Third Trip to Eastern Oregon

Drew

Ohhhh boy! It's going to be a chilly trip to Eastern Oregon this week. 5 of us are making the trip to Eastern Oregon this Wednesday and the high temperatures are forecasted to be around 20 degrees and the lows are around zero. It's supposed to be breezy as well.

I have been thinking of coming out to Oregon to chase some of those bloodlines of the first introduced pheasants into the US! No, not really. I just googled Oregon pheasant hunting and it sounds like the state has some of the best upland bird hunting in the west! Go get them fellas!

I have been thinking of coming out to Oregon to chase some of those bloodlines of the first introduced pheasants into the US! No, not really. I just googled Oregon pheasant hunting and it sounds like the state has some of the best upland bird hunting in the west! Go get them fellas!
I lived in both Montana and Oregon for several years and the bird hunting was much better in Oregon. To be honest there really was no comparison for me.

Only took one picture of the trip to Eastern Oregon.....it was just to cold to care. The high temperatures were 10-15 while the lows were around 0 every day. The birds were running son's of bitches, even more than normal. The pheasants always run and that was expected. The quail would run and then get up as a group and fly about 100 yards and then land and run again. It reminded me of hunting scaled quail.....exhausting. We managed to block them a time or two and then we actually hunted a draw or two that were several miles long from each end and pinched them in the middle. This broke them up into singles and doubles which held much better. All in all a great trip. We did manage some pheasants and chukar every day as well. Now, I've got a cow elk to find.

Attachments

• Oregon Dec 2022.jpg
    Oregon Dec 2022.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 44
It is pretty amazing. It turns an inexperienced puppy into a professional hunting dog pretty quickly. It also exposes a dog and owners flaws pretty quickly as well.

I would have more experience in Montana before offering any comparison between the two.

Let's make that a priority. I have a chukar trip to Nevada that I'm trying to squeeze in before their season ends.

Back