Getting Good Rain

Not to give you much mileage --

But forums in general are dying -- I hate it - but times are changing -- I guess at my age of 43 I was younger when these started and have been engaging/learning this way/form of communication for a long time - but younger folks and many older ones are abandoning them. I've watched a few forums completely die -- this one is still hanging on with a few that contribute -- I probably dont have much to say other than the same ole stuff about KS.
The fb groups seem to be the most lively - but they have a different feel -- I dont like them as much.

This one was always a top one for me -- one that was pretty outstanding and died was Pointing Dog Journal if any of you were on that one. Guess it didnt help I stopped subscribing -- got tired of seeing mostly GSP's on the cover...ha --
Yeah I agree. Seems most have migrated to fb groups

The migration has shifted west where the water is. Like pheasants you have to go to the birds. Dakotas have been good for both upland and migratory birds, but not typically both in the same area. Be mobile. There is good hunting to be had.
Totally understand that. Scouting ahead of time is extremely important in waterfowl hunting (since they are migratory). There one day, gone the next. Most of the ducks and geese I used to hunt were local ducks in October because I quit once deer season started. Eventually there just weren't any, or hardly any around. I went from hunting 5 or 6 times and harvesting 25-30 ducks to going twice and maybe putting 5 in the bag total. Annual drought definitely didn't help either, as a lot of smaller potholes/wetlands/ponds completely dried up. Not worth it for a handful of ducks anymore.

I scout for pheasants prior to every season too but since they are not migratory, they are always there. Or at least in the "area." I more so look for habitat when I'm driving around and seeking permission for those about an hour away from where I live though.

Totally understand that. Scouting ahead of time is extremely important in waterfowl hunting (since they are migratory). There one day, gone the next. Most of the ducks and geese I used to hunt were local ducks in October because I quit once deer season started. Eventually there just weren't any, or hardly any around. I went from hunting 5 or 6 times and harvesting 25-30 ducks to going twice and maybe putting 5 in the bag total. Annual drought definitely didn't help either, as a lot of smaller potholes/wetlands/ponds completely dried up. Not worth it for a handful of ducks anymore.

I scout for pheasants prior to every season too but since they are not migratory, they are always there. Or at least in the "area." I more so look for habitat when I'm driving around and seeking permission for those about an hour away from where I live though.

I could write a book on the migration in western Minnesota. 20 years ago it was easy to scout, find birds and shoot a limit of Mallards. My family now has a place out there with access to all the land I want and I literally have had 1 good mallard hunt in 5 years…. Granted, I can’t get out there during the week. But I can tell you it is now the great fly by, birds just don’t stick around. Can you still get on a good hunt? Sure, but alot of things have to come together. Next time you walk in a chisel plowed cornfield look at the ground and see if you see any food…. Clean farming has also affected the ducks.

I did that in one post about one person to alert you of another jumping in. Because i know you have a target for me. Stop lying and spreading false info to support your false narrative. Believe me I definitely don't need you to fight my battles and know you wouldn't. So why would I need you to?

You won't delete my account because you know 20% of engagement would be down. The most popular post is a troll post about dumping mud. That is what you will be left with. South Dakota and Iowa, the top harvest states, are bare bones in the forums these days. Uplandjournal is by far the better forum hands down.
@515wingshooter I'm so glad I could be blessed with you in this forum and that "I know" you bring 20% of engagement to this forum. I'm engaging you, because dealing with you in a pragmatic way is what any normal person would do. I do enjoy your digital words and observing the false facts. To me, it only validates how ridiculous your statements are. So yeah, I'll keep you around for a bit to converse.

I like how, you try to cut me or this forum down by your comments. It doesn't work, I laugh it off and how you make comments like "Uplandjournal is far better forum hands down" - It is a solid forum, I don't disagree. I don't mind engaging with you but it sounds like you could just use a hug (not from me however). If you are going to act like an alpha, be a alpha. Have respect for others and be a man.

Also, yeah, people have migrated to social media/FB groups. Social media and people are fickle. Is what it is. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

I think you are too sensitive and too thin skin. "Choose my next words carefully". I told you to delete me. You won't because I spoke the truth about engagement on this site. No one commented on Mystery Illness after 5 days I decided to reply. 4 pages later.... people wishing I'll upon me and my dog. You guys definitely have the high ground. Lol Look at all the members I brought out who never post. You are welcome.

It's funny the gaslighting accusation, when you yourself were engaged in doing such. Sad when one has to lie to try and prove a point.

I don't do passive hits like other members. If I wanted to take shots it wouldn't involve shouting out a decent ran forum. I was giving you advice out of my generosity. My attacks weren't based on lying. (More advice)

The traffic and lack of posting speaks for itself. Keep on with your holier than thou. I've never wished ill upon others or their dogs in this forum. Keep beating your chest on this tiny hill you have.

Let the small circle jerk clique dog pile commence. Apparently no one can fight their own battles.

For not being triggered you sure can't let it go. Westbow gave great advice and tried to steer the convo forward.

I really like this forum. Some of the dumb posts are funny, and the ones that aren't I just ignore. I don't use the ignore button, I just skim past them. It can happen to any of us, but try to stay out of personal vendetta on the inter webs, it'll reduce stress in your life. The one guy did tell 515 that his dog looks fat, that's an a-hole move in my book. I'm not taking sides with anyone, and I don't even hunt in Kansas, but I'm sure glad they got rain🫡.

And I think the dog in his profile pic looks like a really nice dog and a good dog, and I would never say anything bad about another members dog.

I really like this forum. Some of the dumb posts are funny, and the ones that aren't I just ignore. I don't use the ignore button, I just skim past them. It can happen to any of us, but try to stay out of personal vendetta on the inter webs, it'll reduce stress in your life. The one guy did tell 515 that his dog looks fat, that's an a-hole move in my book. I'm not taking sides with anyone, and I don't even hunt in Kansas, but I'm sure glad they got rain🫡.
Fair enough Bob...was a cheap shot on my part not my finest hour..

To 515's dog.....dear poocher, let me offer my most humble apologies for slandering your good name on this public forum...I am sure you are a very fit, lean mean hunting machine and to suggest otherwise was not right..I hope the rest of your season is spent looking for feathered game and may santa place a couple of big ol roosters under your nose for christmas...
Sincerely,
Hare

...so someone said it rained in Kansas?....about time, right? The weather boy said 70% chance for us Sunday and Monday...they have missed these things in the past, so we'll see. Like to get a bunch before these October temps are gone. The weather boy also said a year ago the air temp never made it above Zero, with the wind chill, we are almost 100° different from last year...birds have to be OK with the change, I am.

I could write a book on the migration in western Minnesota. 20 years ago it was easy to scout, find birds and shoot a limit of Mallards. My family now has a place out there with access to all the land I want and I literally have had 1 good mallard hunt in 5 years…. Granted, I can’t get out there during the week. But I can tell you it is now the great fly by, birds just don’t stick around. Can you still get on a good hunt? Sure, but alot of things have to come together. Next time you walk in a chisel plowed cornfield look at the ground and see if you see any food…. Clean farming has also affected the ducks.
And quail and rabbits and pheasants... and a host of non-game species..

Fair enough Bob...was a cheap shot on my part not my finest hour..

To 515's dog.....dear poocher, let me offer my most humble apologies for slandering your good name on this public forum...I am sure you are a very fit, lean mean hunting machine and to suggest otherwise was not right..I hope the rest of your season is spent looking for feathered game and may santa place a couple of big ol roosters under your nose for christmas...
Sincerely,
Hare
Well said Hare, I always get along with guys who show a little humility. But damn I'm going to miss the drama. I was on the edge of my seat:giggle:

Only .17 here. Nice to lay down Wednesday's burn.
Right at 7' ....YEP, FEET, in Cairns australia from just one rain event early last week....epic....not that anyone in KS cares....

Would like to hear more about your prescribed burning if you don't mind...just a real short summary of what you are trying to achieve and the parameters for success....

Back