Getting Good Rain

Each morning lotteries require staff to facilitate them. If we are open 7 days a week, that doesn't fit in to our 1 and 2 man staffed areas, much less our managers that staff 2-10 areas.

Each morning lotteries require staff to facilitate them. If we are open 7 days a week, that doesn't fit in to our 1 and 2 man staffed areas, much less our managers that staff 2-10 areas.
Like I said it always boils down to money. But the ideas I tossed out there are revenue generating. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference in pressure but would put some responsibility on the hunter. They way that WIHA money is spent needs to be looked at. Baiting needs to be banned. Lifetime License sales really needs to be looked at, ridiculous when the Realtree guys possess lifetime licenses. Deer seasons need to be shortened back to the way they were. When they passed crossbow inclusion they knew that if would only clutter the woods up even more. I know you don't like to hear it but you brought up the subject on a positive thread about rain.

I am not set off hearing it. I agree with a lot of it. Was a hunter long before I was a biologist. We are still working with a 1960's staffing in many places and the demands on our staff have definitely increased since then. I (hunter Troy) think that we need to get back to "Fair Chase" a lot more and baiting, crossbows in bow season, and any number of other things that allow lazy hunters to achieve what other hunters have to work for should be made more on a level field. KDWP only owns less than 1% of the land, but that land is supporting 16% of the hunting pressure. I have a write up on the area website labelled "Realistic Expectations". It covers some of my (biologist Troy) thoughts on this topic.

I am not set off hearing it. I agree with a lot of it. Was a hunter long before I was a biologist. We are still working with a 1960's staffing in many places and the demands on our staff have definitely increased since then. I (hunter Troy) think that we need to get back to "Fair Chase" a lot more and baiting, crossbows in bow season, and any number of other things that allow lazy hunters to achieve what other hunters have to work for should be made more on a level field. KDWP only owns less than 1% of the land, but that land is supporting 16% of the hunting pressure. I have a write up on the area website labelled "Realistic Expectations". It covers some of my (biologist Troy) thoughts on this topic.
None of my issues are with the KDWP they are with the legislature and the commissioners to a degree. I know your hands are tied as are all of the other KDWP workers. It is just a mess all the way around without any solution other than a total reset going back to the past which won't happen. I'm just lucky that I grew up hunting and fishing when I did. Caught my first fish in the late 60's and started hunting shortly after. It was unreal back then.

That is why I said lottery drawings each morning. Don't know if you saw that or not. Needs to happen on all public land regardless of what game is being hunted. There needs to be a required stamp or window sticker on every vehicle entering public lands for hunting, fishing, and trapping purposes just like we have for fishing the reservoirs. There needs to be a check in app or have a drop box to sign in each hunt for every piece of public land including WIHA. Many of the IHAP lands in Iowa have this, which is why I like hunting up there so much. Not new information at all, and I have been calling for it for years. It probably won't happen though, Kansas governs wildlife with money in mind first not conservation. If they are truly about conservation, the first thing that will happen will be the ban on baiting on all Kansas lands. That will speak volumes.
Yeah let's raise taxes and increase the size of the already bloated government....

Many of the new IHAPS don't have the boxes or sign in. We hunters already pay enough. Paying for a sticker and more enforcement won't solve your problem.

Deer seasons need to be shortened back to the way they were. When they passed crossbow inclusion they knew that if would only clutter the woods up even more.
They just passed that here last summer in MN and the entire general population could use a cross bow here during the entire archery season to hunt deer. The regulation was primarily passed based on Wisconsin's implementation of it about 5 years ago which added about 40,000 new hunters.

Its too early to tell how much this has changed the harvest, pressure, or inclusion of new hunters but the state agency can see the revenue generated because it adds a lot of license sales. Plus industry is all for it because crossbows and associated gear isn't cheap either. Bear in mind the people using crossbows this season are not people who traditionally hunted during archery season; they are people who traditionally only hunted during the firearms season.

I know a few compound archery hunters and they were very much against allowing this. It likely put a lot more people in the woods and fields with a crossbow, especially in the month of October.

I personally think there's too many opportunities to hunt deer here now. There's archery season (with crossbows), an early youth season (firearms), an early anterless season (firearms), a general firearms season, a muzzle loader season, and now there's a special CWD hunt in some zones. The popularity of deer hunting is well documented in most states, but this is getting out of hand.

Yeah let's raise taxes and increase the size of the already bloated government....

Many of the new IHAPS don't have the boxes or sign in. We hunters already pay enough. Paying for a sticker and more enforcement won't solve your problem.
Actually hunting is very cheap. It cost much more to play golf. You don't use the golf course for free neither should you use public land free. You have to have a park pass to fish the same should go for hunting.

Actually hunting is very cheap. It cost much more to play golf. You don't use the golf course for free neither should you use public land free. You have to have a park pass to fish the same should go for hunting.
People definitely don't pay taxes or fees/licenses. Golf course and hunting land two different things ....

If you want to volunteer and donate more money go ahead. You shouldn't be forcing others. Especially with many struggling to pay bills. Maybe stick to golfing

People definitely don't pay taxes or fees/licenses. Golf course and hunting land two different things ....

If you want to volunteer and donate more money go ahead. You shouldn't be forcing others. Especially with many struggling to pay bills. Maybe stick to golfing
I'm not forcing anyone but hopefully the state does. They definitely need to raise the cost of licenses and out of state deer tags. Also need to put a license on outfitters at a minimum of $2500.

I'm not forcing anyone but hopefully the state does. They definitely need to raise the cost of licenses and out of state deer tags. Also need to put a license on outfitters at a minimum of $2500.
Yeah you have to use the state to push your ideas. A "Karen" in male format. I think you should be paying extra every time you buy your license, ammo, shotgun etc

Be a leader! Lead by example. Voluntarily pay more. It starts with you!!

Yeah you have to use the state to push your ideas. A "Karen" in male format. I think you should be paying extra every time you buy your license, ammo, shotgun etc

Be a leader! Lead by example. Voluntarily pay more. It starts with you!!
It's a waste of time with you. Do you even live in Kansas?

Troy you've never commented and I would never expect you to - but man I'd sure love it if you could be running KDWP or some part of it.

Probably a thankless job but as has been hashed out here nothing can be accomplished when politics, money and wildlife all get mixed in --

I personally believe that if the resource was managed from a Biologist perspective, and looked at only in that way -- the Money aspect wouldnt even need to be discussed as it would take care of itself when a great product is presented. I digress though and can only continue to have wishful thinking for our state one day the KDWP will be managed like it used to be and done scientifically instead of an eye on short term finances and at the whims of a few politicians. I am unfortunately represented by one who lives not too far away and is always presenting negative wildlife legislation in my perspective. Haven't been able to vote him out since he has the R in front of him.

Lol probably not fatter than your lard ass
Come on Ken....you can do better than that.
Where's that alpha dude....beta dude....mumbo jumbo you were impressing us all with..
Seriously....why do you come on these forums and be such an obnoxious dick ? Am guessing you are like that in person.
Suggestion...why don't you move on over to the ol' campfire forums, where you will find a plethora of liked minded jerks

Where's that alpha dude....beta dude....mumbo jumbo you were impressing us all with..
Seriously....why do you come on these forums and be such an obnoxious dick ? Am guessing you are like that in person.
Suggestion...why don't you move on over to the ol' campfire forums, where you will find a plethora of liked minded jerks
I notice you don't have a photo and have your profile private. Real tough. Did I hurt your feelings? Talk about my dog in person... you would of been face down in a ditch

The principles of a very basic economics class apply here. There’s a supply curve and a demand curve. Where they cross sets a price.

Our problem is we have a limited supply of:

1. game animals
2. Public accessibility

And all that is with a high demand.

Something has to give. More and more people fighting for less and less (or stagnant) resources.

And then the state wants to increase hunter numbers, but accessibility is not there, or everybody is on top of each other, or the birds are all blown out of a WIHA or marsh.

I don’t have the solution, but I know that there’s a problem.

When did anyone address you?

Troy you've never commented and I would never expect you to - but man I'd sure love it if you could be running KDWP or some part of it.

Probably a thankless job but as has been hashed out here nothing can be accomplished when politics, money and wildlife all get mixed in --

I personally believe that if the resource was managed from a Biologist perspective, and looked at only in that way -- the Money aspect wouldnt even need to be discussed as it would take care of itself when a great product is presented. I digress though and can only continue to have wishful thinking for our state one day the KDWP will be managed like it used to be and done scientifically instead of an eye on short term finances and at the whims of a few politicians. I am unfortunately represented by one who lives not too far away and is always presenting negative wildlife legislation in my perspective. Haven't been able to vote him out since he has the R in front of him.
Pretty tough finding politicians of any stripe that would appreciate your point of view....politics just doesn't seem to attract the type of individual who values the common good as it applies to conservation and wildlife..
Left leaners want to lock it all up...right leaners want to till it all up....that leaves us holding few to no cards.
Sorry to be such a downer...cause I do like your sentiment and attitude..

Pretty tough finding politicians of any stripe that would appreciate your point of view....politics just doesn't seem to attract the type of individual who values the common good as it applies to conservation and wildlife..
Left leaners want to lock it all up...right leaners want to till it all up....that leaves us holding few to no cards.
Sorry to be such a downer...cause I do like your sentiment and attitude..
That comment is very pragmatic. I appreciate it.

Back