German Shot Hair Breeders

Great news that there are so many breeders in Kansas and close to OK. I will take the advise to visit and probably haunt those who are truly professionals on the short list. First I have lots to learn.

Take your time....when you have a few potential candidates, give me a PM and I will give you my two cents. Another thing to consider, is if you want a true versatile dog you may want to see some water work demonstrated. Oklahoma has some great waterfowl opportunities.

Working on getting back into upland hunting, I'm looking into breeders and strongly leaning toward the GSP. One breeder in Iowa, Top Gun, was recommended. Does anyone know about this breeder? Any and all recommendations are welcome - Thanks!!

I have a Top Gun Dog. Sent you a PM

BenBelly, the tightest Hustler lines I know of are out of Westwind GSP's in Kansas!!! I believe Gary has the best Hustler stock in the Country!!!! I.C.'s in the high 20's !!!!! ( Inbreed Coefficient) You can Google Westwind GSP's!!He has a great web site!!!:thumbsup:

Good advice re Hustler. As anyone who has been on this site a while knows, I breed Pudelpointers. I am not, however "breed blind" as many are and have owned several GSPs. I had a son directly out of Hustler and he was one great dog on the field and my wife's favorite in the house. I'll put some pics up one of these days. (waiting for the first blizzard of th year).

Good advice re Hustler. As anyone who has been on this site a while knows, I breed Pudelpointers. I am not, however "breed blind" as many are and have owned several GSPs. I had a son directly out of Hustler and he was one great dog on the field and my wife's favorite in the house. I'll put some pics up one of these days. (waiting for the first blizzard of th year).

I would sure love to see them pic's !!!!! Hope it Blizzard's soon!!!!!!! Chief's markings are so darn similar to Hustler!!! Hope he is half the dog!!!!

terrylndrs I contacted Top Gun first, the pictures I posted were of a great Top Gun dog. Steve Ries referred me to a kennel in Indiana where they continue the Top Gun line. That breeder is on my list along with others referred to me here.

I had a son directly out of Hustler and he was one great dog on the field and my wife's favorite in the house. I'll put some pics up one of these days. (waiting for the first blizzard of th year).

Hustler was a great dog and was bred to many different females over the 16 years that he lived. One of the most celebrated breeding's which produced offspring that excelled in their own right was from the pairing of Hustler/Wendy von Enztrand, which produced the prepotent sire himself DC Stradivarius Baroque as well as others. Hustler is long gone (17 years to be exact) and most pedigree's with him in it now would most likely be at least 5-6 generations back. But his influence IMO can still be seen if careful line breeding has taken place.

Here's an interesting read over at GDF about over used sires causing a genetic bottleneck. Hustler's name comes into the discussion : http://gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23503

I too echo the accolades for Hillhaven Hustler and Stradivarius Baroque lines. I have litter mates, Bear and Blaze, who not only have those but also Rawhide Clown in their blood lines. These are 2 of the best dogs I have ever owned and had the pleasure to hunt over. They are "driven" and "relentless" in the field and "lap dogs" around the house...even at 80 and 60 pounds. My male, Bear, is almost 8 and I would love to breed him to a nice female to get just one more male pup to continue the lines. Good luck on your search, I'll be following your progress. God bless.

Won't argue with you there. The Hustler breeding has been a boon to the GSP world.

Last edited:
Back