German Shorthair Pointer trainers in Colorado?

shinbone

Hi All,

I just moved to Denver from the east coast. Before the move I was in the middle of training my GSP, which is my first dog, myself. Unfortunately, the move has disrupted the training process because I am now in a small apartment on the fourth floor in the middle of the city for the next few months. I am also spending alot of my non-work time looking for a new house and generally settling into the area. I will eventually move into a house with a yard, etc. but for now daily training has pretty much stopped due to these space and time constraints.

Can anyone recommend a reliable trainer who can continue the training of my GSP? I have promised the breeder to test the dog in NAVHDA and NADKC, so any trainer familiar with these organization's testing requirements would be a plus. I am willing to do some driving to get to a good trainer.

Thanks.

--shinbone

d9643c60.jpg

Last edited:
Dan at High Tail Setters. 303-550-0179 He is close, in Elizabeth and will do you right. NAVHDA wise he will have to get the dog swimming. Tell him Uncle Buck sent you.

Get in touch with BleuBijou, he's from Colorado and has shorthairs. He could probably steer you in the right direction.

Dan at High Tail Setters. 303-550-0179 He is close, in Elizabeth and will do you right. NAVHDA wise he will have to get the dog swimming. Tell him Uncle Buck sent you.

Thank you Uncle Buck, you get another guided hunt in Ks. ;)

I'm so busy with dogs right now that i couldn't take another one and feel right about doing a good job. All my work is guarantee.

Call Lenny Morales Sixxem Kennel. He is the real deal ! not a backyard handler.

Dan
High Tail Setter Gun Dogs
Elizabeth, Co.

Shinbone...I am a dog trainer here in CO as well, but due to all the politics and some of the uncivil people I have witnessed at these events, I choose not to participate in these formats. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it is only a very,very small percentage of people that give the whole a bad name, but I just really don't have a need to get invovled.

I focus more on the the AKC Hunt Tests.

I would take blueweim's recommendations Mark Pace or Ben Garcia. I know them both, both are local, have excellent reputations and have excelled in this enviroment....

Rick
www.gundogsrus.com

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend Mark Pace at all. I sent my dog to him for 3 months at $450 a month and he gave her back to me and said she needs to be force fetched. He didnt do it because "its boring". She didnt even have basic obedience training. :mad:

I ended up sending her to a trainer in Nebraska and now she's a hunting machine! If a dog is too much for a trainer, or he takes on more than he can handle, he should have enough class to say so and not keep it for 3 months and rip someone off for $1350!!!

I would NOT recommend Mark Pace at all. I sent my dog to him for 3 months at $450 a month and he gave her back to me and said she needs to be force fetched. He didnt do it because "its boring". She didnt even have basic obedience training. :mad:

I ended up sending her to a trainer in Nebraska and now she's a hunting machine! If a dog is too much for a trainer, or he takes on more than he can handle, he should have enough class to say so and not keep it for 3 months and rip someone off for $1350!!!

Wow.. Thats why we only train our own dogs and help a few folks for free.
They have to be here with there dogs.Let them use our equipment .:thumbsup: I like to work 4-6 pups a year plus keeping the old dogs on game takes a lot of time. 4 adult EPS 6 EP pups (was 10) 2 adult GSP and 2 gsp pups
3 adult Beagles at this time.. Summer time its 5 pm til dark with dogs and birds and all day Saturday and Sunday.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up !!!!!!! What everyone should hear from a trainer , is I can train any dog, and you must come watch your dog work before you pay me!!!!! Maybe we should have a dog trainer rating to help out every perspective customer????? Every trainer may have a couple bad references, but maybe we can weed out the bad ones that have more then a couple!!!!! There seems to be a lot popping up here recently in Colorado and a lot are new to the game. I am all for some new blood if they are in it for the right reasons!! Some older trainers can be losing it a little as well!!!!!!! Do your homework!!!!!:cheers:

Thanks for the heads up !!!!!!! What everyone should hear from a trainer , is I can train any dog, and you must come watch your dog work before you pay me!!!!! Maybe we should have a dog trainer rating to help out every perspective customer????? Every trainer may have a couple bad references, but maybe we can weed out the bad ones that have more then a couple!!!!! There seems to be a lot popping up here recently in Colorado and a lot are new to the game. I am all for some new blood if they are in it for the right reasons!! Some older trainers can be losing it a little as well!!!!!!! Do your homework!!!!!:cheers:

Bleu I hear you. Maybe do it in PM, public broadcasting negs could open a bad can of worms. ;)

Surprises me what has been said about Mark Pace. My experience was quite the opposite. He has a very soft and quiet way of training that works with the dogs natural ability. I did not send my dog to his kennel but met him for 1 hour training sessions and numerous phone calls.

I would certainly recommend interviewing several trainers before you make a decision. After all you are hiring them for a job and you need to find one that fits with you and your dog.

I'm sorry to hear about about your exprience but you are not the first one that had a bad deal with them. My hunting buddy send his GSP to them in the summer of 2008, after they had her for 2 month he went to visit her, he was told she was gun shy said was born that way and there is nothing they can do, then tried to convince him to buy one of their pup. My thought is they should be able to tell if she was gun shy in the first week or two not after 2 months. Anyway, he end up taking her to another trainer that we know, he had her gun broke in just 2 weeks, we were able to hunt over her that season.

As to find a good trainer, you should be able to find a bunch bird dog trainers in colorado through web search, you will also find a lot of the trainers does it as hobby or as side job, I suggest you away from the makeshift . I would go to a real pro, interview them face to face and ask if you can watch them work a few "young" dogs see how they conduct around these dogs, you should be able to ID a trainer with skills and make your decision from there.

Good luck

I would definitely recommend Ben Garcia. He has trained a few of my dogs and 1/2 of my last litter was trained by him. I have worked with other trainers and my dogs have learned from them, but I have had a lot of success with Ben. One thing I have always been impressed with from Ben's training is how enthusiastic the dogs are to work for him and how excited they are about birds through the training and then afterwards.

One thing I recommend to anyone taking a dog to a trainer is write down how you hunt and how you want the dog to hunt and then talk to the trainer about what it will take to get the dog there. The schedule can change as all dogs differ in how quickly they pick up tasks but if your trainer knows how you want the dog to hunt for you it seems to be more successful.

I also tell anyone sending a dog to training that they need to go down as often as they can and take part in the training. I think I have needed more training than my dogs over the years.

If you have any other questions about Ben or my experiences with trainers I would be happy to talk with you, send me a PM.

There are many good trainers in the area and you have to find one that you are comfortable with.

Adam

2 years old

I have a GSP that is to smart for his own good, or his master. I have had a hard time training him on retrieve. As old or young as he is can any of the above mentioned people/trainers help train a 2 year old dog. :confused:

I would recommend you contact the trainers listed above and find out how much an evaluation costs and then have them evaluate your dog after you have told them how you want your dog trained. This will allow them to see your dog and give you a better idea of how long the training will take. It also allows you to get to know the trainer and then you can decide which trainer you want to train you dog.

Back