General sign-up just ended -

Good luck all! My wife's cousin re-upped a bunch of acres. I should be able to wander among the roosters and quail there. Gives a guy some hope for the future.

My parents had an appointment at the ASC office in Minnehaha County on Fri to finalize everything and they were told to come back on Monday because they were so busy with applications.

Besides the general sign up there are some good specific practices that you can get enrolled in such as CP-33 (quail buffers) and CP-38 SAFE buffers.

I've got quite a few properties enrolled in CP-33 and they have been phenomenal for the quail populations and work great for the pheasants too.

The bad news comes when you look at the state by state totals.

Texas, Kansas, Colorado and Oklahoma "won the lottery" with around 2.5M acres between them.

SD came in at 125K acres, a disappointment in my opionion as there are 145K acres going out in 2 weeks. Now with that in mind I think SD can break even or come out ahead in FY 11 with continous sign up taking up the slack (CREP, Duck Nesting, FWP and possibly additional SAFE??).

ND was a bigger disappointment at 151K acres with 257K going out in 2 weeks. Continuous will not take up the slack here.

Iowa and Nebraska will come out a little ahead (10K - 30K acres) after 2010 expirations.

My home state of Missouri came in at 107K, another disappointment as I do not believe we will be able to make up the 23K defecit thru continuous sign up here..hope I am wrong.

Was really hoping for 500K between N & S Dakota....ended up with 275K.

The bad news comes when you look at the state by state totals.

Texas, Kansas, Colorado and Oklahoma "won the lottery" with around 2.5M acres between them.

SD came in at 125K acres, a disappointment in my opionion as there are 145K acres going out in 2 weeks. Now with that in mind I think SD can break even or come out ahead in FY 11 with continous sign up taking up the slack (CREP, Duck Nesting, FWP and possibly additional SAFE??).

ND was a bigger disappointment at 151K acres with 257K going out in 2 weeks. Continuous will not take up the slack here.

Iowa and Nebraska will come out a little ahead (10K - 30K acres) after 2010 expirations.

My home state of Missouri came in at 107K, another disappointment as I do not believe we will be able to make up the 23K defecit thru continuous sign up here..hope I am wrong.

Was really hoping for 500K between N & S Dakota....ended up with 275K.

Safari -

Could you post a link for this information. I've poked around on USDA website a little but have not come across it yet.

Thanks

Safari -

Could you post a link for this information. I've poked around on USDA website a little but have not come across it yet.

Thanks

DB

It was a report that was e-mailed from a credible source. What state(s) are you intersted in?

I can give you the following information for each state:

# Offers accepted
% Offers accepted
Acres
EBI (Avg)
Rental Rate (Avg)

DB

It was a report that was e-mailed from a credible source. What state(s) are you intersted in?

I can give you the following information for each state:

# Offers accepted
% Offers accepted
Acres
EBI (Avg)
Rental Rate (Avg)

I'd be interested in SD

Here are the numbers - FSA website

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/signup_39_accept_st_offers.pdf

I would like to see it by county. I would bet not many of the offers were from eastern SD.

Cougar, thanks. At $50/acre average you know not much going east is probable except for marginal acres which is what the target is anyway.

I think all in all this general was a success. Rents are low (good for taxpapyers budget) and they got almost all 4.4 M acres in. Good for conservation too.

Thanks Cougar71 for the link and appreciate the offer Safari but looks like Cougar has us covered.

You know compared to what COULD have happened I am quite satisfied with the General Sign Up. We COULD have been out another 4.5 million acres in 2 weeks. As it stands we are going to just about break even nationwide. We have acreage to work with for the remainder of FY 11 as far as continuous sign up.

Yes I was disappointed with regards to the Dakotas, especially North. I hear that the James River CREP is at about 25K acres either enrolled or in the pipeline. Sources tell me it will probably all (100K) be enrolled within 2 years..maybe that is the answer in the east. As U Guide suggested the general sign ups will cover the central/west along with some SAFE thrown in.

USDA seems committed to keeping acreage at the 32 million acre cap which will mean more General Sign ups in 2011 & 2012. Maybe the Dakota's will fare better. More power to you all in Texas, Colorado and Kansas.

Back