Game Farm breaking the bank?

FCSpringer

Well there is a Wissconsin fella looking for game farms out there and I am feeding off his material here. Is there a G Farm out there or a shooting preserve Anywhere in the US. That is less than 15$ per bird, say 10$ or even less. i have not seen any under 18 -20 or more per bird. So me the tight wad, does not go support the economy. I buy birds all the time for 6$ and they come from the same place the shooting preserve gets them from. And we Obtain a permit to train all year and I guess have our own deal going but guy's that keep the birds sell them for 8 or 9 $ one Guy 10$ per bird. So why I guess do they charge sooooo much. Are there costs other than food like we also pay ect.? Let me think over a mind cooling fluid. :beer:

They are in the end of season out here and some of the game farms are running close-outs on the remain birds. You can get 8 hens right now for $75.00. Roosters are 8 for $85.00. These Prices are from ads in the Sunday paper. I don't know if this helps your information base or not but it is what is happening right now.---Bob

So here we are in the 9-11 $ range Bob, thats realy not to darn bad, we will hopefuly see if there is any more around if the guy's know. :thumbsup: My area has been saying that the prices are going to come down some because of the lack of willing blasters parting with there greenbacks right now, and too many birds in the coops. I found some nice birds for 5$ not long ago.

So why I guess do they charge sooooo much. Are there costs other than food like we also pay ect.?

FCSpringer,

I don't know that much about game farms but I would assume the have some similar costs:

- land
- pens
- employees
- liability insurance
- buildings if they have place for beer afterwards
- costs of vehicles

Thats just a few I can think of. Am I missing something? I assume some charge a general access fee too?

Well there is a Wissconsin fella looking for game farms out there and I am feeding off his material here. Is there a G Farm out there or a shooting preserve Anywhere in the US. That is less than 15$ per bird, say 10$ or even less. i have not seen any under 18 -20 or more per bird. So me the tight wad, does not go support the economy. I buy birds all the time for 6$ and they come from the same place the shooting preserve gets them from. And we Obtain a permit to train all year and I guess have our own deal going but guy's that keep the birds sell them for 8 or 9 $ one Guy 10$ per bird. So why I guess do they charge sooooo much. Are there costs other than food like we also pay ect.? Let me think over a mind cooling fluid. :beer:

So, you want to preserve guy to charge you $10 a bird??? Lets say he paid $6 (which is darn cheep), so that leaves him making $4 a bird. Lets say you buy 6 birds from him so he just made $24 off you. He got up before sunrise, had to catch your birds with a flashlight in his mouth, drive to the field, plant the birds in dark, do all the paperwork when you arrive and then clean your birds once you're done hunting. What a way to make $24!

Yea I know of some here that have the big decked out lodge and stuff too and that is a real cost for comfort, but are there any that don't offer that, say just a farm that lets em go and you can just come out for the day and shoot cheaper? I do know that some here lease land as well to have plenty of places to go. so there is cost in that too, um probably spraying and weed controll. Maybe the price is right so they can stay in the red.

Come on back east, $17-20 is the LOWEST you'd find price wise. Closest place to the house, $154 for 4 pheasants - $38.50 a piece!

The only preserve within 5 hours of my place (Nova Scotia, Canada) is 150$ Canadian for 5 birds, so about 25 US$ per bird (and I think you have to be a member of the club - not sure what that costs per year). He let me do a "scratch hunt" for 20$ for the day about a month after his last release of birds two seasons ago. I never fired a shot because I didn't know that you were allowed to shoot hens (LOL - never hunted a preserve before!), but Ruby had fun putting up three hens. I tried to do the same this year but he turned me down. My guess was that is was mostly a one-shot deal to try to convince me to join the club. Maybe some day, but for now I get by in the off-season on waterfowl, rabbits, then clays, trout and dog-training when the seasons are all closed for the year.
-Croc

FCSpringer,

I don't know that much about game farms but I would assume the have some similar costs:

- land
- pens
- employees
- liability insurance
- buildings if they have place for beer afterwards
- costs of vehicles

Thats just a few I can think of. Am I missing something? I assume some charge a general access fee too?

You forgot your strip club expense :cheers:

I have a friend in Michigan here that has a preserve. He buys his bird as chicks, and raises them. He told me his cost is about $10 per bird. I believe that is factoring everything in. That is for pheasant.
He plants sorgum and keep the weeds out of the fields, very nice set up. Most guys go a couple of times a year so they don't mind spending a little more money on birds. Just my 2 cents :D

You forgot your strip club expense :cheers:

Clintcopy.jpg

I don't frequent Preserves that often maybe once or twice a year. The place I have gone to lately charges $16 for Phez and $11 for chukars. If your a member you can scratch hunt Phez for $10/bird during the week. I think that is fairly in line with my area for preserves prices.

So, you want to preserve guy to charge you $10 a bird??? Lets say he paid $6 (which is darn cheep), so that leaves him making $4 a bird. Lets say you buy 6 birds from him so he just made $24 off you. He got up before sunrise, had to catch your birds with a flashlight in his mouth, drive to the field, plant the birds in dark, do all the paperwork when you arrive and then clean your birds once you're done hunting. What a way to make $24!

OK we have all been on here long enough to take time and read what was written, I asked if there are any farms out there too that simply raise birds and let you harvest some cheaper than the ones that have the expensive lodges. Thats all, so please read everything and don't be critical here it is just a discusion not a bar fight.Pluss I don't know where you come up with the bird cleaning thing never brought up. And if I buy them for 5 or 6 don't they maybe get discounts for say 2,000 I don't know. the reason for the ? to begin with. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OK we have all been on here long enough to take time and read what was written, I asked if there are any farms out there too that simply raise birds and let you harvest some cheaper than the ones that have the expensive lodges. Thats all, so please read everything and don't be critical here it is just a discusion not a bar fight.Pluss I don't know where you come up with the bird cleaning thing never brought up. And if I buy them for 5 or 6 don't they maybe get discounts for say 2,000 I don't know. the reason for the ? to begin with. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but you kind of struck a nerve there. My old man runs a preserve in Kansas and I've seen what kind of work goes into putting on a good hunt. Hell, there's nothing wrong with a good old bar fight every now and then!

I don't frequent Preserves that often maybe once or twice a year. The place I have gone to lately charges $16 for Phez and $11 for chukars. If your a member you can scratch hunt Phez for $10/bird during the week. I think that is fairly in line with my area for preserves prices.

Wow imagine that they do exist, you can go and shoot birds for 10$ holy crap I wonder if I have been hit by lightning. :thumbsup: Where is this paradise? I must Go there. Just funnen, there is a place in Brainerd that Plants the Birds for you, helps you train and charges a fee of I think 20$ for the training advice also 10$ per bird. Personaly I would have no problem letting someone come here and shoot birds for 10$ with your free permit from the DNR The previous post of the guy making 24$ is Probably not going to hapen if you factor all the things in that K,GSP is saying the guy supply's we understand that. these are the situations we were refering to and would like info on. Thanks BS now tell me where they are or I will sick Uguide's hit man on ya.:beer:

Sorry, but you kind of struck a nerve there. My old man runs a preserve in Kansas and I've seen what kind of work goes into putting on a good hunt. Hell, there's nothing wrong with a good old bar fight every now and then!

Well I guess I don't know how a simple ? of cheaper Game farms can get you going but there is absolutely nothing we can do for ya. Yes we do know how much work goes into birds, I have been raising them for over 10 years from incubator to release at adult stage so I concure with you on that. I guess we can think of it as OK there is a Corvete and a Chevet. Some want to pay more and others will settle for one squirll and an ash tray for all the bells and whistles. Others want to blend in with the jones's, say buy a monty carlo, I can't afford to go and pay 2'000 dollars for a weekend in SD some where at a 20'000 square foot lodge. That simple.
I never directed any post twards you or your dad or any game farm in particular. why you went there is beyond me. Any way are we cool now so we may go hunting togeather some day. or are you gona go looking for a guy to beat up at the local pub with a MN accent.:laugh: If so I'll send my brother your way. I am too old for that stupid *&^#@!? anymore.

Wow imagine that they do exist, you can go and shoot birds for 10$ holy crap I wonder if I have been hit by lightning. :thumbsup: Where is this paradise? I must Go there. Just funnen, there is a place in Brainerd that Plants the Birds for you, helps you train and charges a fee of I think 20$ for the training advice also 10$ per bird. Personaly I would have no problem letting someone come here and shoot birds for 10$ with your free permit from the DNR The previous post of the guy making 24$ is Probably not going to hapen if you factor all the things in that K,GSP is saying the guy supply's we understand that. these are the situations we were refering to and would like info on. Thanks BS now tell me where they are or I will sick Uguide's hit man on ya.:beer:

The $10/bird is for scratch hunting only, and during the week no weekends. Scratch hunting is open for members only. For those not familiar with scratch hunting, these are birds that were already released for paying customers but were not harvested. You pay for what you shoot as apposed to what is released. Mondays are a good day for this as you can clean up what the weekend crowd didn't get.

Last edited:
I ran a preserve for 5 years. The only way 10 dollars a bird around here would work was if they were given to me. Time is worth something. I was at 15 dollars a bird and couldnt make it work. The other key factor in this is sheer volume. You have groups every day then it will work. 3 days a week it doesnt work. I did not have a fancy lodge either.

Back