French Brittany

Never saw one in the field but they should be as good as their breeding and genetics allow, as solid as the training they receive and as pleasing to any hunter to the degree that opportunities to learn are presented to them.....same as any bird dog.

I haven't seen them in the field either. I have read a couple articles about them in Gun Dog magazine and various websites. They seem to be a close working pointer always looking back to check in. They seem to be pretty good at transitioning from the field to the house.

I can't imagine them much different than any other Britt given the same breeding focus....there are all levels of most bird dogs, laid back to amped up.
Buy the Parents is always a good thought.
Embrace and Enjoy the search.

french britts are much smaller then a american britt not to mention you dont get the same colors from a american britt... basic orange/white for american britts french britts have different colors from a orange with very little white to almost black to heavy roan...

i think they are the smallest of the pointing breeds??? & are versatile hunters....

i have hunted with a french britt a very little dog that hunted big but the owner was lazy & didnt work with the dog enough on birds he chased rabbits & tree rats with it so i was not the best bird dog in the world but that was his fault npt the breeds!!!

if you like really small dogs that dont really look like a hunting dog but hunt very big they are the dog for you... i have not seen to many french or american britts that are really strong swimmers but im sure you can work with them to fix that???

i dint know how small they were till i hunted with 1 man they are tiny!!!

check out small munsterlanders they are great dogs small versatile hunters that hunt huge in both land & water & great family dogs!!!

the french britt i hunted with was a cry baby when in the crate & bugged us all night long worse then my 6 month old SM at the time my uncle had a american britt that was a cry baby also so im not sure if thats a trait of the breed or not???

all around good dogs for both hunting & family there are other quality breed out there also just depends what you want out the dog???

there 2 small for me the cattails would be to much for my buddys dog just to small to get through that thick thick stuff...

Yeah ive seen they can weigh 25lbs-35lbs that is a small bird dog! I heard they are really calm indoors is why ive narrowed it down to them. I love the look of the small munsterland i would have to research the breed more. How are they indoors? Know any places with started dogs?

I have hunted with both French brittany's and Brittany's. They are basically the same style of hunter of being a close working dog. The main diff is the coloring. Most French Britts are bi color or tri-color. They are a bit smaller that their american cousins. They range from crazy out of control dogs to very timid. They do not take to hard handed training. My britts are all stron swimmer and willing to fetch on land , air and sea:thumbsup:

I have hunted with both French brittany's and Brittany's. They are basically the same style of hunter of being a close working dog. The main diff is the coloring. Most French Britts are bi color or tri-color. They are a bit smaller that their american cousins. They range from crazy out of control dogs to very timid. They do not take to hard handed training. My britts are all stron swimmer and willing to fetch on land , air and sea:thumbsup:

Now, that makes good sense.:thumbsup: indeed

I have a friend that breeds and hunts/trials his Bretons. i like the little hunting dog, but do not care for them not being big water fans. I like a V-dog.
At any rate, I think a dog is what you make it, a reflection of the time you put into it.
I know french brit breeder and I know several SM breeders. I dont know many SM breeders that start dogs.

I am always hesitant for people to jump into a Munsterlander. I would really research the breed before oyu do that.

got to want to hunt your dog 1st & also have a great friend if you want a small munsterlander or large munsterlander for that matter they are hunters 1st of all kinds of game so if you only hunt 1 thing a yr & want a SM mite not be for you? there not just house dogs or mostly house dogs & hunt part time like many labs today they want to hunt & learn non stop they will be a great house dog if they are worked daily & hunt alot... try to make em a house dog & im sure they will find something to do good or bad they are really smart dogs!!!

id have to do some looking on-line but yes i have seen 1-2 breeders that have started dogs... 1 guy was in MI i think & another was in IL i thought IA but MSTAND has that area covered so im sure its not IA but the 1 guys college age son trains a dog or 2 out of every litter & starts them & sells em i assume to pay for school??? they are not cheap dogs either & there is a list of hoops you must jump through to breed your dog with the SM club the breed is not for everybody ill tell you that much!!!

i was dupped into buying 1 under the thought id only have to run my dog in a N/A test to breed her if i wanted to breed her... now i find out i have to run her in another UPT test also & micro chip her and all her puppys B4 i would sell them 4 months prior i would of only had to N/A TEST her i was kinda mad i was lied to prior i still would of got the dog but info was held back on a first time buyer so buyer beware!!!

Last edited:
So, I actually took a few days of from reading your pot to calm myself a bit. You have made some pretty rude comments and incorrect accusations. I will point them out for you.

there not just house dogs or mostly house dogs & hunt part time like many labs today

How dare you make a generalized statement like this about other breeds. We arent hear to breed bash or make derogatory statements about breeds that others like.

i was dupped into buying 1 under the thought id only have to run my dog in a N/A test to breed her if i wanted to breed her... now i find out i have to run her in another UPT test also & micro chip her and all her puppys B4 i would sell them 4 months prior i would of only had to N/A TEST her i was kinda mad i was lied to prior i still would of got the dog but info was held back on a first time buyer so buyer beware!!!

REALLY? Are you serious? You need to read and fully understand the breeding requirements before you make false accusations against a breeder of a breed club that you were dupped. Very unprofessional to say the least and brings bad press to both the breed club and the breeders.

The current breeding requirements state that any dog born after January 1, 2013 must be UPT tested. In October of 2012 you wrote a PM to me stating that you pup was 6 months old. Clearly the dog falls under the old guidelines for breeding.

But truthfully if you were so upset about being "Dupped" into stronger testing requirements to breed your dog, then you dont need to breed anyways.
If you are unwilling to microchip a dog or a puppy for purpose of locating the dog if it was lost. There is a problem there aswell.
So far with the statements that you have made you are showing that you careless about putting time and money into the breed and more about wanting to put money in your pocket.

So, in a nutshell, you need to get your facts straight about the club or the breeder you are bashing.

think you needed a bit longer to cool down MSTAND???

i apologize to any hunting lab owner who may have taken offense i in no way was trying to breed bash or lab bash i was just stating that there are many labs that are house dogs 1st & hunters part time... not that there are not outstanding hunting labs out there & that SMs are better or that all labs are house dogs??? how dare you try & put words in my mouth or insinuate such rude things???

i was not aware of the new 2013 SMCNA breeding requirement changes untill your very friendly post above mentioned it!!! i joined the SMCNA in june they only sent me 1 packet as of yet & them 2012 breeding requirements state i needed to micro chip my dog & all her pups run her in and prize in a NA TEST & UPT test to breed... had the SMCNA sent me my packet in march like i was supposed to receive i would of been aware of the changes you mentioned above...

i was on a waiting list for 6 months & was in contact with my breeder the hole time & asked him 2-3 time about the changes & he assured me there was no new changes i got my dog in june the changes were in the SMCNA packet as of march so he should of known about the changes by april-june? i didnt get my SMCNA packet till aug of last yr so when i asked my breeder i was relying on him to tell me the truth...

after i found out there was changes to the breeding requirements i called him & said hey man you lied to me he said well & i quote "i didnt think them new changes would pass so i didnt pay attention to them close enough"??? & then he apologized for confusing me & offered to run my dog in the UPT TEST... he was a long time breeder & i herd about the changes from my cousin & his SM breeder who baught a dog a few months prior his breeder assured him/me that there were changes & funny thing my breeder & my cousins breeder both live near one another & have constant contact its funny my breeder didnt hear of the changes b4 i got my dog its a little fishy!!!

but truthfully why would i not breed my SM because i was dupped??? that dose not make sense at all??? i was just upset i was lied to my face more or less...

i micro chipped my dog B4 it was needed & i always planned on breeding my girl once she got older & slowed down then i would keep a pup or 2 out the litter & do the same thing when the pup gets older & so on... why would i punish my self for the breeder misleading me???

there are many breeders of our breed of dog that are out for $$$ over anything else im not 1 of them... there are people with 4+ females & males & breed non stop & make loads of $$$ id say they care less about the breed & more about $$$

any $$$ i make off breeding my dog would go towards hunting trips for my dog any way... i already ran my girl in her NA TEST at kelly farms prize 3 103 im sure had i joined NAVHDA i would of scored better she just didnt hold a point long enough or i would of prized 2 but i wanted to train her my-self this go round mite run her again aug 14-16??? & i plan on a UPT test someday so i am put n the time & $$$ into my breed & dog & could care less about lining my pockets i just didnt want to have to run tests & the likes that nobody else had to prior to me for nothing... the breed requirements worked great prior to me buying a SM they should work fine now that i own a SM??? no need for such drastic changes like they maid in 2012... not many SM owners my cousin talked to at the pheasant fest were pleased with the 2012 breeding requirement changes...

i see them 2012 SMCNA breeding requirements did not stick around long only 1 yr many other SM owners must not of like them new changes a??? my breeder my cousins breeder & a good buddy of theres who also breeds in SD all were not happy about the changes & i was told to just register my dog with NAVHDA & breed if the 2012 breed requirements stayed the law of the land...

in a nutshell you are correct MSTAND i needed to get my fact strait about the 4 moth old 2013 SMCNA breeding requirement changes B4 i told others about my misleading or not so sharp breeder & experience... but he was not innocent of doing nothing he did apologize to me for the confusion...

no need to jump down my throat on here in the 14 months i have had my SM & the 6 i was on a waiting list the breeding requirements have changed twice i guess i didnt think they would change in a year like they did... then change again??? it is confusing to the new SM owner...

happy safe hunting to you & yours this season MSTAND... good luck on the UT TEST like you & your dog need it...

Last edited:
I do not offer any apologies for my post,but will mention that your breeder was responsible for chipping your dog.
He isnt,however, responsible for keeping you up to date on all the regulations.

For someone who is planning on breeding, you should be checking into this stuff on your own. I also sure hope you realize that just because a dog passes a UPT, doesnt make it breedable. You still have health and hip checks. Plus conformation evaluations. You also have to know enough about the breed and your dog to determine if what you have is what should be bred.
There are already enough people breeding dogs just because they posses reproductive organs.

Last edited:
i did not expect a apology from you MSTAND i would of been shocked...

well the sharp as a tack good ol SM breeder that did nothing wrong when he bald faced lied to me when i asked him a question did run afoul when he did not micro chip my dog B4 i picked it up a??? well he did the same thing to 9-10 other new owners so i was not the only person to not be up to date on the ALWAYS CHANGING SMCNA BREEDING REQUIREMENTS when i picked up my 7 WK old puppy... that was the least of the things he messed up on id say... its just wrong & unprofessional to lie or mislead a rookie hunting dog owner new to a breed no way around that... especially when i asked 2-3 times... thats why i said buyer beware!!! dont just take a guys word for it!!!

i do understand i have to be approved for breeding & im not worried confirmation or health issues my dog meets the breed standards just fine & is healthy she has the look of the 1st dog in ur latest lets see your dog thread post or the 3rd pic my cousins dog looks like the 2nd pic... his dog looks more spanielish mine more setterish...

to be honest if this dog dose not have what it takes to be breed hunting instinct wise then no SM i get will have what it takes??? her mother was imported from holland my dog is a great hunting dog & has lots of drive & just needs to tight n up on the holding birds/point thing... she is whoaing great & tracks/trails like a pro & retrieves to my hand & is steady to the shot about 85%-90% of the time she could use some more water work but she does swim just fine & loves water... we are not big waterfowl hunters but she needs to be a strong swimmer for sure...

i agree many are just breeding SMs cuz they can the big breeders no matter who good they may be or seem do still make big $$$ off these dogs & greed takes over some of the time they are the ones making the breeding so hard for the average joe hunter who just wants a hunting dog & offspring from his dog after his partner can no longer hunt...

u can always PM me if you want to argue or school me some more on SMs & there ever changing breeding requirements... im sure some french brittany guys are already tired of the posts??? they did get great info on the SM breed & breeding them thow...

Last edited:
Okay guys, enough!! This thread is heading in the wrong direction. Keep it up and it will only give us Mods one option.

We are good DZ. Back on track.:D

alright dakotazeb!!! your a little late man i already said MSTAND can PM me if she wants to keep it up...

no need to threat n after that dakotazeb man come on that was needless... mod or not

French Britts

I have three & hunt Ruffed Grouse & Phez. with all three 100 + days a year. If anyone wants info you are welcome to PM me.

Back