Franchi

pheasantaddict

My neighbor bought a Franchi SL over/under. We went out and shot a few clays. The gun handles real nice and shoots well. It does seem to have some kick, we were shooting 2 3/4 #6s steel, though we just had t-shirts on. Wondering how other people like their SL? Probably never notice in hunting situations.

Just bought one last week; 20ga; haven't pulled the trigger yet, but seems to

handle nicely. I did replace the extended chokes with flush mounts.

Unbelievably light!

Will let you know how shooting it goes.

Carl

A 6 lb. 12 ga. gun with even standard field loads is going to have some recoil. More so than a 7 lb. gun. That's just the price you pay for lighter weight. I once bought a Benelli 20 ga. Legacy. It was about 5.5 to 5.75 lbs. Darn thing kicked more than my 12 ga. Benelli Montefeltro. It went on down the road.

Ultralight shotguns are usually are too much of a good thing. They pound you with recoil and they are difficult to swing smoothly and follow through. Unless you're a 98 pound weakling you'll be better off with shotguns that are in between the extremes. The same can be said for ammo, too.

I bought a 20 three years ago. As to the recoil It doesn't bother me at all. As to the weight I will tell you walking a couple miles it is pretty damn nice. For the money it is a pretty good value. It is nicer looking than anything else at that price or lower. The only complaint If you are trying to be quiet entering a field make sure you snap it closed hard as it won't fire. Only happened a couple times but still pissed me off. I would think a 12 that light would beat the crap out of you.

Like others have stated, light guns (even auto's) will hurt. While a joy to carry, the fun stops when you have to pull the trigger. If you only want to go for a walk in the field and never expect to fire more than a couple shots all day, have at it!

I tried several of the Browning Citori Lightning Feather versions (12/16/20) when younger, hoping to fing that "perfect" combination of weight/acceptable recoil. However, recoil always proved to be unacceptable when using actual hunting loads.

Back