Franchi Instinct SL 16 gauge

PTM

On Franchis website it looks like they are going to enter the realm of the 16 gauge. It has a listed weight of 5.8 lbs the exactt same as their 20. I can only find a 28 inch barrel version. It will be nice to have another option in the limited 16 gauge front.

Hopefully they’ll reveal it here at shotshow, it just showed up on the site so the timing makes sense.

Will be interesting to hear the details and glad to see another 16 ga option although will be hard for me to replace my Citori 16 ga.

I only have 1 o/u currently, an English stock 12 ga. Red Label w/ 26" barrels that I bought years ago & rarely shoot. But if I had to do it over again, I'd look for 28" or even 30" barrels. To me, a double-barrel w/ 26" tubes is just really short. Personal thing.

I'm sure this new Franchi will have an aluminum receiver. Anybody have any experience (good or bad) w/ an aluminum receiver double? I know "they say" modern aluminum alloys don't lack in durability compared to steel, but is that really the case?

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

I think the aluminum guns if used as mainly a hunting gun with the occasional clay practice sessions would last a life time or two. I think once the gun is finished they are not rebuildable. I like 26 inch barrels as well especially for targets going away.

I suppose when they enter the arena of not knowing how it will sell they have to keep narrowed down, I wish a shot show review would pop on the gun.😀

This is interesting.
Cabela's in Ft Worth has several Franchi Instincts in stock. Back in December I handled a couple of them, and they look and feel great. Came very close to walking out with the 28 gauge.
Would love to get a closeup look at the new 16 gauge.

Fondled the 16 at Pheasant Fest today. Kind of nice. Fit me pretty decent. Balance seemed good. Fit & finish good (for that price range o/u). Not crazy about the really narrow rib. Overall though, I was fairly impressed. Want to shoot one.

I agree that it felt pretty good in the hand and I agree that it would be nice to shoot one before pulling the trigger on one (not that I'm in the market after buying the Instinct L in 20 ga last year).

Mine will be here early April. I’ll give a report on it after having it awhile. Hopefully sales go well and push other companies into action.

WELL! IT CAME EARILY!!!
Picked up today as I was actually in area for KU first round day. Haven’t shot it.. but since I got in early with a deposit(which I’m very happy I did) got me pick of first 2 my dealer got. Very well executed with a slight more drop than the 20 and 12,which I own. Weight an amazing 5# 6 oz. unloaded so loaded with 1 ounce loads 5.8.08#s. I will start shooting when I return home after ROCK CHALK WEEKEND!! Balance is very good for an alloy frame 3/8” forward of hinge pin. Talk to you guys a little later.

Here it is; Fit and and finish is nice and clean wood is plain as it is chosen for weight savings and not figure. Weight is incredible if you like lightweight hunting guns at 5#s 6 ozs. Trigger is mechanical and very crisp and light on both pulls measuring just over 4 3/4#s on first pull and 4 1/2#s on second pull. Top barrel measures .668 bottom .669 IC choke measures.010 mod measures . 017 full is a crazy .031. Things I like about gun are as follows.

1) comes up vary nice for field use,with slightly more drop than the 12 and 20 same model.
2) very light for carrying all day.
3) quality fit and finish
4) perfect trigger pull for field use( not to heavy not to light) ����
5) shoots where I’m looking and pointing ( I’m 6’ medium to long arms)
6) I like when and alloy frame gun balances slightly muzzle forward as it allows
For a smoother swing for me.
Things I don’t like
1) Only comes with 3 chokes ic,mod, and way to full.
2) red worm front bead ( I replaced with regular brass bead 3-56 threads)

Side note the 12 and 20 are made for Franchi by Bettinsoli of Italy. This 16 in my
opinion is made by F. A. I. R. Which I also own a 16 in. Taking both guns and comparing side by side they appear one in the same so to me this is a F. A. I. R Xlight( Italian firearms group) with plain wood and. Very little engraving and yes the chokes interchange they are mobile style with different pitch threads and come in c,ic,mod,im, and full. I wanted skeet and skeet2(lite mod) so I sent my full to Briley to have them custom make those for me which are $75 a piece for flush mount with a lead time of 10-12 weeks.

Hope this helps feel free to ask about anything I might have missed and yes I’ve shot 3 boxes out of it with my wheely bird pasture setup and it functioned flawlessly!

Last edited:
A5 sweet 16; No it does not it’s a N.E.A model 500 and I’m very attached to it as it is my practice and prairie bird gun. 6#1oz. They are very well made and function flawlessly. They can be had anywhere depending of course on condition and model from $1200 to $2800. I’m on a hard search for a double trigger straight grip!!

Also if you can find the Xlight it’s the same gun ( alloy receiver) as the franchi instinct sl with better engraving and wood.

Back