For your health

Huntdreamer

I know this is a hunting board but were else will you find a bunch of guys. I hope every guy over 50 (general guidelines say 55) have a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen blood test).

For a variety of reasons my brother-in-law had not, until 60, and now we are learning he has advanced prostate cancer. He had no symptoms whatsoever. I have remarked about his ability to “hold it” as I, at 65, require frequent stops on long drives. We are hopeful for a good outcome, but it is concerning. I have been making initial plans for a 2023 pheasant hunt for a group and only hope he will be with us and health enough to do the walking a pheasant hunt requires. For several years we had also talked about an archery elk hunt which we should have never put off this long.

Bottom line,,,,GET A PSA! Even without insurance it shouldn’t be more than $100.00-150.00. It is as important as your wife’s annual exam. Just, guys don’t talk about it…..I am!

Hear, Hear! Get a PSA. My cousin, an educated man, got his first PSA only because his prostate become so swollen he couldn't take a whiz. Had to go to the ER. Consequently, had his first PSA - at age 70! Result: Stage IV prostate cancer with bone tumors due to metastasizing. Don't be him.

Im 63 and a prostate cancer survivor. Had it 3 years ago. My psa is now so low, below 0.10. That it doesnt register on Labcorps testing. Get your psa but be sure to ask for the "free psa test" as well. Mine wasnt bad on psa ,4.5 but the free psa is what caught mine at an 8. Its supposed to be a 15 to 20 for my age. Its backwards of normal psa levels. Higher the better on free psa. So dont mess around ,its a simple blood test. If you have to have a biopsy thats when it gets a little uncomfortable.
But , by getting mine early I dont have any limitations. Everything still works as it did. A little more frequent bathroom runs but am so glad I wasnt emasculated. Radiation was my choice of treatment and after 45 of those Im whole again. Its very curable but you have to know before it spreads. Take it from a survivor. Please.

Hear, Hear! Get a PSA. My cousin, an educated man, got his first PSA only because his prostate become so swollen he couldn't take a whiz. Had to go to the ER. Consequently, had his first PSA - at age 70! Result: Stage IV prostate cancer with bone tumors due to metastasizing. Don't be him.
Thoughts and prayers for your cousin. With bone mets he has a tougher road ahead but still hopefully managable.

Im 63 and a prostate cancer survivor. Had it 3 years ago. My psa is now so low, below 0.10. That it doesnt register on Labcorps testing. Get your psa but be sure to ask for the "free psa test" as well. Mine wasnt bad on psa ,4.5 but the free psa is what caught mine at an 8. Its supposed to be a 15 to 20 for my age. Its backwards of normal psa levels. Higher the better on free psa. So dont mess around ,its a simple blood test. If you have to have a biopsy thats when it gets a little uncomfortable.
But , by getting mine early I dont have any limitations. Everything still works as it did. A little more frequent bathroom runs but am so glad I wasnt emasculated. Radiation was my choice of treatment and after 45 of those Im whole again. Its very curable but you have to know before it spreads. Take it from a survivor. Please.
Congratulations and here is to the future. Happy and successful hunting.

I'm 76 and get a PSA test every year at my annual physical. I've been getting a PSA test every year since I was 50. My father died at age 73 from prostate cancer. I know there was some controversy about PSA tests sometime back and if they were worth getting. My take on that is "what's it going to hurt". I'd rather get a false positive than not get the test and end up like BritChaser's cousin. So get that PSA test every year and if you are not getting an annual physical, do that to. Wishing good health to you all.

Last edited:
Looking for advice. I'm trying to plan a "Lifetime Memory" hunt for my 2 son-in-laws, close friend and brothers next year, 2023. Looking for recommendations for the right week in, Oct-Nov-Dec and state, Iowa or South Dakota. (other suggestions?) Would love wild birds as several have hunted reserves or game farms but I would like to give them the best natural experience. We will have 1 good dog with us.
I am considering a guide/outfitter for several days but have also thought about trying public walk in areas for a day or two. (if you all feel it's worth it)

I have been trying to work through the list of guides/outfitters from the main page but thought many be you all may be a better recourse. Appreciate any thought and recommendations. I'm trying to give them a memory like I have from ND on a friends family farm 15 years ago. Thanks

Sorry, Huntdreamer just saw where you replied to my post. I am heading to ND in a little over a month. My prostate cancer seems to be in check now. Hope it stays that way. Have a great season yourself!

I had 45 radiation treatments. Im very lucky because mine still functions in every eay. I guess they caught it early. My psa is now below 0.1. I started at 4.56. Its so low now that labcorps testing cant read it.

That's great. I had cyber radiation 7 times. My psa is also very low. My close friend had proton radiation for 30 days.

Back